No announcement yet.

puncture kits when on road trips ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just breaking the bead the usual, otherwise yes easy.
    Stuck in Holland? plenty bike places, I got back from there just yesterday, cruised round everywhere you've had some lovely bike weather.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Weather from.Normandy to here has been perfect.
      Bike ships not techy enough for my main issue on other thread .
      I have three threads going on 're this journey.

But bike touring with a tent in good weather is the business.
      Has to be a vintage bike mind or there is no point !
      UKJULES
      ---------------------------------
      Owner of following bikes:
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
        Will the slime compressor drain a motorcycle battery or is some other method of powering it recommended?
        I've used my slime compressor to inflate several tires that were flat after being repaired. Never had a problem with the bike starting afterward. Of course this is on my 07 Bandit, but would image a GS would be similar.
        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
          I've used my slime compressor to inflate several tires that were flat after being repaired. Never had a problem with the bike starting afterward. Of course this is on my 07 Bandit, but would image a GS would be similar.
          Thanks……….
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
            I was wondering when on long road trips abroad how
            Is best to deal with punctures ?
            Yes aa cover is one way but what is the best product
            When eight out in the sticks ?

Is there a can inflater ?
            Does it render the tyre useless after ?
            Jules, based on your signature, all your bikes will have tubes, except the maybe the 82 GPZ if it's been upgraded.

If you have a tubeless tire you will see the valve stem looks very different, tubeless have a rubber bulbous part that comes out of the rim, where-as tube type will just have the threaded valve stem coming out of the rim with a nut to hold it in place.

There are some pretty good YouTube videos on repairing punctures in tubes on motorcycles.

Also Horizons Unlimited have a DVD on the process, Grant is very good at this and is a good teacher, I've seen his demos at HU rallies a few times.

The Motorcycle Adventure Travel and Overland Travel website, inspiring, informing and connecting travellers since 1997.

Practice, Practice and more practice will make this process manageable, but best to learn at home on a spare wheel from the wreckers, rather than on the side of the road in the rain or scorching hot sun with no place to find shade.

Good luck.
            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Almost forgot this one, from Biker Bits in Australia, this guy (Mark) has a nice way of presenting his videos and in this one he covers all the ways to inflate tyres on the road.

I have watched dozens of his videos, they are a bit long but worth the time as he's pretty entertaining.

In this video I demonstrate 4 different ways to inflate your motorcycle tire when stuck on the side of the road. The 4 different types are: Mini Compressor, ...

Cheers,

David

Comment

Cheers , will watch all.
                Have to wait for WiFi and a good charge on phone.
                As bike not going phone not charged all the time.
                Another issue on long trips.

Those sticky rope things , can someone point to one on uk eBay ?
                I don't know what they are or what I'm.getting ?
                UKJULES
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Just google: tyre repair kit
                  You can find many brand name versions of these in every auto parts store.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Many thanks.never used em so never understood sticky ropes.
                    Now I do.
                    2 more days till parts arrive in Amsterdam.
                    Now what to do ?
                    UKJULES
                    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                      Almost forgot this one, from Biker Bits in Australia, this guy (Mark) has a nice way of presenting his videos and in this one he covers all the ways to inflate tyres on the road.

I have watched dozens of his videos, they are a bit long but worth the time as he's pretty entertaining.

In this video I demonstrate 4 different ways to inflate your motorcycle tire when stuck on the side of the road. The 4 different types are: Mini Compressor, ...

Cheers,

David
                      Great videos. I watched the compressor one and the patching one. I watched another, which was filmed along a road in England by who I think is a Canadian. It might be a bit better film clip to learn from. The Aussy is great though. Thanks

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                      Many thanks.never used em so never understood sticky ropes.
                      Now I do.
                      2 more days till parts arrive in Amsterdam.
                      Now what to do ?
                      I can think of worse places to be stuck. Go to a Café and relax......
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I've used those sticky rope things alot on cars and they work.I never even take the wheel off and even keeping the tire pump on to keep the tire stiff while inserting the plug...

pump up a tire using a spark plug hole?
                        http://www.yotatech.com/f5/spark-plug-tire-pump-97762
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-18-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          I used one of those on a BMW R100 in the Nubian Desert in Sudan and it caused my spark plug to short out and damage the cap, I needed to do some surgery on it with my Swiss army knife to get going as riding on only one cylinder was not an option in deep sand, that was the last time I'll use one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            I've used those sticky rope things alot on cars and they work.I never even take the wheel off and even keeping the tire pump on to keep the tire stiff while inserting the plug...

http://www.yotatech.com/f5/spark-plug-tire-pump-97762
                            Yeah, the spark plug tire pump thingys are definitely a Bad Idea. There are far too many ways something can go wrong, get set on fire, etc. Great way to run down your battery too.

I've pumped up motorcycle tires many times with an electric pump (once at least four times in a row due to some user error...) and never had a problem starting the bike afterwards. If your battery and charging system are in good shape, an air compressor won't kill it.

For almost all repairable punctures in tubeless tires, you won't need to break the bead unless there's something broken off inside the tire you need to remove.

However, there's all sorts of insanely dangerous bad advice out there for breaking beads on motorcycle tires. I swear, this one simple task generates the dumbest crap you will ever hear or see. Here's an easy and safe way to accomplish this on the road with three small tire irons without damaging the wheel or the tire. Or yourself:

1) Deflate tire (duh, but it has to be said...).

2) Note how one end of the tire iron has a curve right at the tip. (If both ends have a curve, use the smaller end.)

3) Insert this end of the tire iron between the rim and the bead with the curved tip facing the tire (like it's digging into the tire). Squeeze the tire down as best you can and wiggle and push the tire iron a bit until it's all the way in against the rim.

4) Take two other tire irons and place them on either side of the first tire iron the same way, but with the curve facing away from the tire. The correct amount of space takes some experimentation, but about an inch to an inch and a half away on either side is usually OK.

5) While pushing DOWN (towards the tire) on the two tire irons on the side, pull UP (away from the tire) on the middle tire iron. Keep inward pressure so they don't slip out.

6) Wiggle and work and worry the middle tire iron until the tire bead starts to move down a bit. Again, this takes some experimentation and experience. You probably won't actually break the bead the first time, but getting it to move a little is all you're after. Note that there should be no rim damage -- the part of the tire iron contacting the rim is wide and smooth and only in contact with the inner part of the rim. However, if you're concerned, rummage around in the ditch for a plastic bottle and cut out a piece to use as a guard. If you have any tire lube or anything similar, you might drip a little in there.

7) Repeat this process a couple of inches on either side of the original location. The tire bead will start to move, and at some point (usually at the second or third location for tubeless tires) you will be able to get it past the rim lip and the bead is broken. Tubed tires are usually a little easier, and sometimes you'll get it at the first location. Be patient, and keep worrying at it. No extraordinary forces or angles are required. If you're not getting any results, move over an inch or two and keep trying.

8) Marvel at the astonished expressions on the faces of the onlookers. For some reason, not one rider in ten seems to know how to do this -- most people want to try something totally stupid involving high forces and kinetic energy...

Very recently, Motion Pro started making a tool called the BeadPro based on this exact principle:
                            Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Yes, this all works on any motorcycle tire -- tubed, tubeless, narrow vintage, wide modern sportbike, dual-sport, etc. It works when other methods fail -- I've had crusty old dried out barn find tires stuck fast to the rim that I couldn't budge with my usual bead breaking setup (a lever arrangement bolted to my workbench), and with a little patience, the three irons method did the trick.

And yes, you can mount any motorcycle tire using only three small tire irons and no excess force. Just be patient, take very small "bites" and be very careful about keeping the opposite side of the tire in the drop center. Dirtbike tires tend to be a little looser, so you can usually get the job done with two, but a third tire iron makes life a LOT easier.

On dual-sport rides (tubed tires) I also carry a wee bottle of RuGlyde tire lube, a teensy bottle of talc (for tubes), a few squares of milk jug, and a tire valve "fishing" tool. There's a tire valve tool in my tool bag, and/or a tire valve cap with a tool built in. Makes changing tubes almost pleasant if you can also arrange for some shade and a breeze.
                            Last edited by bwringer; 09-19-2016, 12:53 AM.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Wish I was at home I would have got this gear.
                              Just had a new rear tyre put on. With tube.

I like the idea of using a boxy or pump.
                              But breaking the bead and using tyre levers ?
                              Is it really possible ?
                              Boxy or pump great idea as pressure is only 28lbs
                              UKJULES
                              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Working...
                              X