E3 spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E3 spark plugs

Just a question, has anyone tried the E3 plugs in your bike yet? I used to run the Split fires and really like them, now can't get them anymore. Been using the stock NGKs, no problems, was just curious about the E3s.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

I don't know what E3 plugs are, but plugs are plugs. Splitfire and other exotic stuff is not necessary. I'd just stick with NGKs.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

some VWs had a pricy multi electrode plug
      I think they made some performance difference but assume that the ignition was optimized for theuir usage
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

No performance enhancements, or longevity improvement, etc... But if you want to pay the premium price, the good news is that they won't hurt, either.

Comment

Hot Rod magazine did a test on various spark plugs a few years ago. The E3 was the worst performer.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
          Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Fancy spark plugs are nothing but snake oil, bunkum, horse puckey, hokum, flimflam, bamboozle, and plain old bullspit.

The reason you can't find Splitfire plugs any more is that they were a scam -- they got prosecuted out of existence for making false claims. There's a sucker born every minute, so goofy-looking spark plug scams will always be with us.

Hit the auto parts store (not the motorcycle shoppe -- they charge 2X to 3X as much) for a fresh set of the stock NGKs every so often and find something more productive to think about.

Spend the money you save on gas and tires and ride more...
            Last edited by bwringer; 08-18-2017, 09:55 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
              I don't know what E3 plugs are, but plugs are plugs. Splitfire and other exotic stuff is not necessary. I'd just stick with NGKs.
              This is what OP is talking about: http://e3sparkplugs.com/

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Fancy spark plugs are nothing but snake oil, bunkum, horse puckey, hokum, flimflam, bamboozle, and plain old bullspit.

The reason you can't find Splitfire plugs any more is that they were a scam -- they got prosecuted out of existence for making false claims. There's a sucker born every minute, so goofy-looking spark plug scams will always be with us.

Hit the auto parts store (not the motorcycle shoppe -- they charge 2X to 3X as much) for a fresh set of the stock NGKs every so often and find something more productive to think about.

Spend the money you save on gas and tires and ride more...
              Words to live by.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

So you are saying VW was scamming its own engineering department?
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Like I said, was just curious about them. I change my plugs once a year as it is.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                  X