Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

center stand...trick to get it up on it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you Redman, I tuck the side stand before putting the bike on centerstand.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Minor point, but I make it a habit to retract the sidestand before using the center stand, for two reasons;
      1) so the side stand not hit your leg when bike goes back, (guess how/why I say that)
      2) its not down when take bike off the centerstand and then take off. (guess how/why I say that)
      Great point. Took a few bumps to get that habit but it's almost involuntary now.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Another point that has been mentioned, but I want to elaborate upon:
        Before trying lift the bike, make sure that both feet of the centerstand are on the pavement. Can do this easy stepping some on the tang (the lever thing), can easy feel one side touch down, then rock the bike from side to side then can easy feel the other side touchdown ... then just a little more pressure on the tang and that alone will pretty much hold the bike from falling over. That is when can take the right hand off the bars and grab the grab bar by back of seat, and you turn to face forward....

And, another point:
        I can argue the point of wither to be facing the bike , or to be facing forward ... but I don't want to argue with the esteemed members here, either variation will work, the main point is that lift the bike by pushing down on the tang, using its leverage, and lifting on the rear of the bike. But I will just state: I have made it a habit to face forward, so I can keep my back straight, have knee bent, and lift with my leg by straightening my leg, not by flexing my back, .... but maybe that is because I have been corrupted by too many industrial safety seminars over the years.
        Last edited by Redman; 09-13-2018, 04:16 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I cannot fathom why you people do it wrong.
          Its a simple hard push with the foot of your choice and a pull backwards on the bike.

There is no lifting needed the bike is carried up by its own mass and momentum.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

With my first bike (a 400), I was doing the pull-back method. And even then, only when really needed to be on the centerstand.
            THen I got a 650G and with the extra weight it was more difficult.
            Then I started watching around how others did and found some magazine articles (um... 1980s you understand).
            Oh, man, with the step down & lift rear up, it flew up so fast, would slam and skid backwards on the centerstand, so learned to ease it up.
            Then got 850G then got 1100G, still have to let off and not lift so much after it gets going, so it doesn't slam up so hard. And I do that fairly regularly.

I am not going to say one way is "Wrong", but I don't think I am strong enough to pull-jerk enought to produce enough up-back force-momentum to add to what my weight on the tang plus its mechanical advantage leverage all adds up to for what total force-momentum is required for my 1100GK. Maybe if I was stronger.
            Last edited by Redman; 09-13-2018, 04:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              With my first bike (a 400), I was doing the pull-back method. And even then, only when really needed to be on the centerstand.
              THen I got a 650G and with the extra weight it was more difficult.
              Then I started watching around how others did and found some magazine articles (um... 1980s you understand).
              Oh, man, with the step down & lift rear up, it flew up so fast, would slam and skid backwards on the centerstand, so learned to ease it up.
              Then got 850G then got 1100G, still have to let off and not lift so much after it gets going, so it doesn't slam up so hard. And I do that fairly regularly.

I am not going to say one way is "Wrong", but I don't think I am strong enough to pull-jerk enought to produce enough up-back force-momentum to add to what my weight on the tang plus its mechanical advantage leverage all adds up to for what total force-momentum is required for my 1100GK. Maybe if I was stronger.
              Yes one imagines that differing statures arm lengths inseam foot size even the mass of the operator would impact technique. I guess if its gets up with breaking the bike or injuring the operator than any technique is valid.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I'm enjoying the different inputs on how to do this task. All good info but everyone does things differently. As long as the basic set up is followed (having the center stand equally balanced) then the method used to put the bike UP is done safely without injuring yourself.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I know the OP is all set now, but for posterity... For me, it was all about gaining confidence that my body weight pushing down on the center stand provided enough force to keep the bike upright. The foot peg on the center stand is a lever, which multiplies the force of your own body to push the bike up on to the stand. The more weight you push down with, the more the bike "wants" to lift up, not topple over. And I've done it in thin boat shoes... but boots are a lot more comfortable
                  80 GS1000GT
                  Past bikes:
                  82 GS750E
                  92 VFR750
                  85 CB650

Comment

I have about a 3 to 5 degree decline outside of my garage. It's pretty easy, in my case. The scary thing is that once on the stand, the bike will skid back about 3 inches.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Working...
                    X