How tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How tight

How thight should the screws on the intake boots be ?
    79 GS 850

I've read that they are hard to get out and mine were easy on 2 boots so far, old o-rings are brittle and flat. Maybe that is why it runs on 3 cylinders.
    Having a hard time cleaning all the goup the bike shop put on the boots to get them to seal--- they are pretty soft and plyable to me, air leak is the o rings I hope.

Those screws were originally phillips crossheads so they should only be as tight as your can twist your screwdriver. They get stuck in over time because of alloy corrosion, rather than excessive torque.

Wally
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Torque on 6mm fasteners is 6-7 foot-pounds -- that's too low for most torque wrenches to measure accurately, so use an educated wrist...

Throw those phillips head screws in the trash pronto and replace with stainless steel allen heads. Just remember to put antiseize on the threads.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The screws are already in, the carbs and air box are back in place.
        might be a little tighter than 6-7 lbs.
        Will change them next year, when I work on the bike.
        Have all the nuts bolts and screws replaced that were lost when I took it to the bike shop to get it worked on.
        And now it should run on all 4, something they couldn't do--oh I know, no puter plug on the bike for them to hook it up to.

Comment

My old man had a saying when we were kids (and asked how tight a nut or bolt should be) -

"Tighten it until you snap the head off - then back it off half a turn!"

25 years later and it still gives me a giggle when I think of him saying it. I have now picked up the baton and am planning on annoying my nieces and nephews with it for many years to come.

Comment

Working...
          X