Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Question

I have a 1982 GS750T and i found a smaller battery with the same specs as the stock replacement. 12v 12-18AH is what i've found for stock specs. I'm making cafe racer modifications to the bike and would like to move the battery to the rear under a cafe style seat. Just wanted to see if any one has input or ideas.

That looks like a battery that is typical in a UPS sytem. Although it is an AGM battery, it may not be able to withstand the heavy load of starting the bike. You may get away with it a few times, maybe even for a few months, but it won't last very long. This particular battery is designed for slow, constant draws for the UPS in a power-out condition, not a high-current surge like starting a bike.

A better choice would be to go to a battery retailer and explain what you are trying to do. You are looking for an AGM battery (that's a construction type, not a brand name) that might even have a slightly smaller capacity than the stock battery. If you maintain your bike so that it starts easily, you can drop the battery size significantly, but still have enough to start the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!\

Hi Mr. Juiced,

I agree 100% with Mr. Steve. When you are "cafe-ing" a bike, you can put an AGM battery just about anywhere in just about any position, except upside down. It is always best if you use a name brand "for motorcycles" battery. Yausa, Interstate, and I'm sure there are others that members here will recommend. If your bike is in tip-top shape, a smaller battery may work well for you. For now, let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks, i have the stock size sealed/gel battery i'll exchange this one for a smaller one. Is WestCo a decent brand.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

What you are looking for is a battery with a 'CCA' rating - Cold Cranking Amps. Vehicle batteries have this, other batteries don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
            What you are looking for is a battery with a 'CCA' rating - Cold Cranking Amps. Vehicle batteries have this, other batteries don't.
            Yeah i found a few from WestCo. With similar CCA.

Comment

Westco is an excellent brand -- I believe they're rebadged Panasonics.

Absolute top of the line are Odyssey batteries:
              High performance Odyssey batteries for automotive, motorcycle, ATV, watercraft and marine use

A mite spendy, though.

http://www.batterymart.com/ is a pretty good vendor, and their "Big Crank" batteries have a good reputation.

My VX800 is wearing a Wal Mart Everstart AGM that's physically quite a bit smaller than the OEM battery, but has the same CCA rating. It was a roadside emergency replacement about a year ago, and it didn't have a bit of trouble even in below freezing weather.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks i've placed and order for the new battery. It was bit spendy, looks to be a great battery though. Could probally start my car in the summer months.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Westco is an excellent brand -- I believe they're rebadged Panasonics.

Absolute top of the line are Odyssey batteries:
                High performance Odyssey batteries for automotive, motorcycle, ATV, watercraft and marine use

A mite spendy, though.

http://www.batterymart.com/ is a pretty good vendor, and their "Big Crank" batteries have a good reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
                  Thanks i've placed and order for the new battery. It was bit spendy, looks to be a great battery though. Could probally start my car in the summer months.
                  May I ask how much these go for....and is it smaller than the stock battery? They supposedly last more than twice as long, so that's a plus (provided they don't cost more than twice as much!).

Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
                    Thanks, i have the stock size sealed/gel battery i'll exchange this one for a smaller one. Is WestCo a decent brand.
                    WestCo AGM batteries are excellent. I put one in my Bandit when I bought it in early 05. Its still doing just fine. I had a WestCo in my 1150E for five years when I sold it and the battery was perfect. I dont know how long they last, I've never worn one out. LOL

Earl
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I guess my Westco must have been an oddball. It only lasted about a year. Unfortunately I couldn't find my receipt for it so all I could do is replace it. They're only warrantied for a year anyway.

Comment

I payed about $150 w/ shipping, the westco of the same size was $90. Less than 2x as much but not by much. This site seemed to have a decent price, besides ebay, and was recommended on the forums.

Check out the deal on Odyssey ODS-AGM8E Extreme Powersport Battery (PC310) at BatteryMart.com

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                        May I ask how much these go for....and is it smaller than the stock battery? They supposedly last more than twice as long, so that's a plus (provided they don't cost more than twice as much!).

Tony.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X