Twisted crank? '82 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twisted crank? '82 GS1100E

No, I didn't experience it. Just curious.

How many people have actually had this problem? I know they welded it for the late ‘82s and the ‘83s, but was this more an effect of hard thrashing at the dragstrip or do people actually have this happen as matter of course in normal hard beating on the road?

Was this generally overkill?
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Not on a GS but I have a twisted one on a big bore 900 {1105} Kawasaki. The vibration just keeps getting worse until you cant stand it. It was from hard street racing from a roll though, no drag strip starts. So far its still going like it was when it was built in 1977, just a little buzzy. One of these days Ill fix it because its getting worse all the time. Got a bad back and dont ride it much but it still hauls pretty good

Comment

Isleoman and myself.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sorry if i stompped on this....But i would like to ALSO ask:

What exactly does it sound like/feel like and how did you KNOW the crank was twisted? Did the bike stop running, or just run like TOTAL ass? I can theorize as to what it would be like, but ive never had one do it, nor seen it in person, so im curious as to what to watch for

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Sorry if i stompped on this....But i would like to ALSO ask:

What exactly does it sound like/feel like and how did you KNOW the crank was twisted? Did the bike stop running, or just run like TOTAL ass? I can theorize as to what it would be like, but ive never had one do it, nor seen it in person, so im curious as to what to watch for
          Don't know what it runs like, but I know how to check it.
          Just use a rod or something to measure the distance from the piston top to the sparkplug hole on #1 and #4...
          Obviously, they should be the same...

I heard they could twist from any spirited riding...doesn't have to be drag strip stuff...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

HUGE vibration difference & a drop in power, Josh. Ray.

Comment

got it. So it will run like total ass, vibrate like hell, and feel like im riding a 550

Comment

only if it twist bad.

I have seen people discover minor twisted cranks during overhauls.

a minor twist in the crank would make a bit more vibration and reduce power some but might not be noticed by a new owner.

abuse is required to twist them.

Comment

My bike doesn't really vibrate all that bad, but I have NO IDEA if I am at a loss of power as I have never ridden another 1100E

Can I just LOOK to see if it's welded? I've never checked

Comment

OK I'll innocently start the mud slinging .

How much twist is tolerable or considered unnoticeable? I need to file this with my cam degreeing accuracy numbers .

With a high performance degree wheel we could of coarse measure this.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                      My bike doesn't really vibrate all that bad, but I have NO IDEA if I am at a loss of power as I have never ridden another 1100E

Can I just LOOK to see if it's welded? I've never checked
                      You can see it if you pull the clutch basket...
                      You can also check your crank as I pointed out above....
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Maro, look at the date of manufacture on your neck, and also tell us the motor number. Its a good clue as to whether or not you have the mid 82 big end welded crank.

For those interested, Brett sent me PDFs of just about all the Zook articles from the various Cycle mags of the 80s with the 1100s in em. After reading them all (man they LOVED these bikes, all of them proclaimed them King Superbike, even over the more powerfull GPZ1100) it is quite apparent to me, and was even mentioned in a couple of the articles, that Zook did indeed start using the welded pin big end cranks in mid 82.

Comment

says 2/82... which I knew...

however, the PO was a nutball, and could have easily have done this mod, since he had an old yosh, vm33's and stacks on her.

I need to look at the crank.

Comment

On the '82 Gs850G I bought new, I either twisted the crank or bent a rod from a bad petcock and leaky float valve allowing the left cylinder to fill up with gas while the bike was parked at work on the center stand. Hit the starter and it wouldn't crank. I thought battery. Hit it a few more times and it finally cranked, but the problem was hydraulic lock. It still ran fine afterwards. I didn't detect any major loss in power, but there was always a little additional vibration in it afterwards.

Hooray for vacuum petcocks.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              So it will run like total ass
                              Mine did. Just a simple roll on the throttle in 3rd. At about 6K it stumbled. That was 1983 and I had about 2000 miles on it. The closest dealer was about 20 miles away. 2 guys in a tiny shop. Parts/sales guy and a mechanic. Took him a week to tell me the bad news and another month to get a crank and change it. I believe he did a good job. The next closest shop was a full scale dealer that had a sweet built EZ drag bike. 60 miles was more than I wanted to risk any further damage.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X