No announcement yet.

Twisted crank? '82 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does anyone know the date or number after which they welded the crank?
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Not exactly...BUT, supposedly anything AFTER June of 82, and with the motor number higher than 14K have a VERY HIGH chance of having the big end welded crank in them.. Bert, you can tell simply by pulling the Stator cover...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Not exactly...BUT, supposedly anything AFTER June of 82, and with the motor number higher than 14K have a VERY HIGH chance of having the big end welded crank in them.. Bert, you can tell simply by pulling the Stator cover...
        I may. Always looking for the easiest approach.

She runs sweet, but I'm just curious.
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
          Can I just LOOK to see if it's welded? I've never checked
          You would have to be able to see the crankshaft to "see" if it's welded, that would require at least a top-end disassembly.

But, probably just as important as knowing whether your crank is welded, is knowing whether you have a problem.
          The easiest way is as Baatfam mentioned, just remove the plugs from #1 and #4, use a pencil or wooden dowel to measure the distance to the top of the piston. Compare the two, they should be the same.

I helped a member do a valve adjustment and carb sync on his 1000 a couple of years ago. When we got done, there was still quite a bit of vibration, so I double-checked everything. Yeah the valve clearances had changed, but they all changed by the same amount, so that was not a problem. The carbs were still sync'ed just fine. Moved plug wires, no change. Finally pulled plugs to swap them around, and noticed that the pistons were not the same height. Needless to say, he was not pleased with the diagnosis, but was at least happy to know what the problem was. I have not kept in contact with him to see if he ever fixed it.

Last edited by Steve; 06-30-2009, 03:38 PM.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

will it sound like a harley too?

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            got it. So it will run like total ass, vibrate like hell, and feel like im riding a 550

Comment

No and its a very different kind of high frequency vibration, I have a Fatboy too. How do you tell by taking the stator cover off, all I see is the crank end and a seal ?

Comment

the rotor threads will tell you...

Comment

My 82 1100e has 28,000 miles on it, the date on the serial plate is partially rubbed off. all I can make out is a 2. So its either a Feb or Dec. Is there any other way to know other than a tear down? Bike seems to run fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    My 82 1100e has 28,000 miles on it, the date on the serial plate is partially rubbed off. all I can make out is a 2. So its either a Feb or Dec. Is there any other way to know other than a tear down? Bike seems to run fine.
                    If it IS an 82, it will NOT have been built in December! That would be an 83. Ray.

Comment

There is a ton of info in the search on twisted crank. I think we kicked around engine serial numbers trying to find where the the welding started.

Mine was unwelded and twisted 146884.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks Ray Feb it is..than I guess my crank is prone to twisting...no one should have to go through life with a twisted crank!

Comment

I don't know how to check for a welded crank without cracking the case, but the accuracy of crank throw timing can be checked with a degree wheel and a piston stop without major disassembly.
                          I built a piston stop by knocking the guts out of a spark plug and replacing them with a long allen head bolt epoxyed in place so that it projects maybe an inch into the combustion chamber. Mount the degree wheel, pull all the plugs, and install the piston stop in cylinder #1. Rotate the crank forward SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY until the piston touches the piston stop. Hold that position until you have recorded the reading indicated on the degree wheel. Now rotate the crank backward until the piston again touches the piston stop (again, SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY) and record the reading from the wheel. You will note that these two readings form a pie wedge on the degree wheel. Divide the angle in half and mark the result on the degree wheel and you have TDC. 180 degrees from that is BDC. If you repeat this process for each of the other cylinders, you will know to a high level of accuracy how your crank throws are timed.

This method is much more accurate than trying to find TDC with a depth guage because as the crank approaches TDC and BDC, the piston is moving very little in relation to the crank rotation. This method takes its readings where there is still significant piston movement on either side of TDC.

Comment

FWIW, I read in one of the old mags that mentioned this problem, an abrupt chopping of throttle from very high speed could also apparently cause it, apart from sudden loads like wheelies etc.
                            I've heard its possible to visually check the crank for welds, from the clutch side, with the basket removed. I haven't done this, but run with the assumption that it isn't welded, and try to ride & plan any performance mods accordingly.
                            Tony.
                            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
                              This method is much more accurate than trying to find TDC with a depth guage because as the crank approaches TDC and BDC, the piston is moving very little in relation to the crank rotation. This method takes its readings where there is still significant piston movement on either side of TDC.
                              I actually set my piston stop length to catch the piston at 1/2 stroke which is where accuracy is highest.

Comment

As Baatfam stated you can see the welds if you remove the clutch basket.
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X