Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
    You poor guys with your pressed together cranks
    Mine is forged steel, double cross drilled, aint gonna twist that sucker.
    No, wont twist it...You'll just blow the bearings out of it

Comment

We touched on this subject a while ago, its a tough call!

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

so if a guy has the head off which i happen to then as i rotate the crank to TDC 1&4 then the top edge of the piston should be flush with the top of the cylinder bore correct and the same applies for 2&3 TDC
        if all 4 match the top outside edge of the piston to the top of the cylinder bore then all is right in the crank world correct?

Comment

1&4 and 2&3 should be even in the bores.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            MINIMAL, the cost of a GOOD used, or new crank, & all the gaskets. Depending on mileage on the motor I would do other things. Pull the motor, pull the entire top end, split the cases, replace parts & re-assemble. Ray.

Easy for you to say. Geesh.

Comment

I have a 16 inch long, hard chromed, precision ground steel rod that is .002 under 18 mm in diameter & is the BEST thing to use to check crank indexing with. With all the pistons off the crank, if the rod will go into all four connecting rod wrist pin holes together, the crank is correctly indexed. If it won't go through all 4, time to fix the crank! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                1&4 and 2&3 should be even in the bores.
                then i'm good cause they both match in the bores 1&4 and 2&3 are equal in the bores
                thank you

Comment

No Say Nixx eh

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

As mentioned by Dmorris early in this thread. Trying to use TDC as an indicator of cank twist is about the worst way to do it.

At TDC it takes the following angular changes in the crank to see any the indicated changes in TDC piston height.

1 degree is 0.4 thousands of an inch
                  2 degree is 1.5 thousands " "
                  5 degree is 9.5 thousands " "
                  10 degree is 38 thousands " "

With differences in carbon build up between cylinders your best hope is that yu are within +/- 5 degrees of twist using this method. How sharp is your pencil?

Most accuracte way is to use a degree wheel and an engine stop whose length is set to stop the piston at the middle of it's stroke.

Just sos you know.

The above calculations are the result of translating rotational motion to linear motion at TDC for a 2.5" stroke crank.
                  Last edited by posplayr; 07-02-2009, 01:26 AM.

Comment

I have a 16 inch long, hard chromed, precision ground steel rod that is .002 under 18 mm in diameter & is the BEST thing to use to check crank indexing with. With all the pistons off the crank, if the rod will go into all four connecting rod wrist pin holes together, the crank is correctly indexed. If it won't go through all 4, time to fix the crank! Ray.
                    Ray I just calculated the accuracy and you are at about 0.1 degrees accuracte if the rod is straight and goes through the holes.

Add 0.1 degrees for each 0.004" of runnout in the rod.

Comment

Sounds kinky.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Sounds kinky.

its called an index rod...falicon sells them in 17-18-20mm sizes for z1-kz-J-gs models that have a pressed pin crank.
                        i have all three.

Comment

I KNEW you would say something Bill!! LOL!! Terry, I had the Falicon rod first & it was too loose. No QA on their part back then I guess. I had a machinist friend make mine & then it was hard chromed & ground to size. It has 1 TENTH of a thousandth runout in 16 inches. Overkill? Probably, but that's the way I do stuff. My stuff lives this way. Ray.

Comment

Twisted crank revisited.

The degree wheel is a nice touch and all but not really necessary, turn the crank so that 1 and 4 are about 1/2 way down, compare depth from the plug holes on 1& 4 if they are the same you are good, if they are different so is your crank. I used the depth rod on the end of my digital caliper. Put the plug adapter from my compression gauge in the plug hole(s) to help keep it lined up the same, side to side. The zero function on a digital caliper is a wonderful thing.
                            I just checked mine that way and came up with 1.1mm difference between 1 & 4 in round numbers or .004" So it seems like I have a straight crank in my 82 with engine # 146889 bike was built 02-82
                            That sound reasonable to you's guys?
                            Now for a new thread about overhaul ideas.

Comment

Another question, did the chain drive 1000cc engines ever come from Suzuki with a welded crank?

If so when?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                Another question, did the chain drive 1000cc engines ever come from Suzuki with a welded crank?

If so when?
                                8V didn't, but 16V may have (not sure).
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X