83 GS750E rebuild thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's because of the bomb carbs you got.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thats gotta be it. im really excited. i wish i had a before pic and had actually listed everything i did to it. it was little more than a frame and a box of parts when i got it.

Comment

rode the bike to work today, clutch slipped a bit now and then, has new clutch springs in her. but i noticed the clutcj cable was a tad tight. adjusted the throttle cable after i got here so hopefully that reduces the low speed jerking. also the bike rides really well above 10ish mph. below that its a bit squirly. i gotta back the air screws out a half turn or so and raise the needle a notch, that may be it. but probably not

Comment

just me or do you need a new front tire?, thats dangerous my friend,be careful dont want anything happening to you or anyone on back , there real cheap compaired to a crash, -just trying to help a fellow rider
          will that exhaust get the rear tire to hot?

Comment

i have the 83 750 ed and it rode like crap with no air in the forks , i added a couple pounds like the manual said not more ,and its like a different bike, dont blow your seals
            i think a heavy set of springs will really help, all the weigh it pushing on it
            im a big guy, so the air is def a help

Comment

i have a new front tire. just havnt had time to take it to get put on. and the exhaust doesnt come anywhere near the rear tire, it points to the right
              unfortunatly the clutch is slipping badly even after new springs. grrr. i also raised the needle one notch and backed the air screws out half a turn and still seems to have a bad spot

Comment

hm. the clutch for the 750 and 850 are the same part number. sould it be a bad idea to take all the plate from the 2 bikes and pick out the best of them, scuff them up, and put it all back together? also. what can i do to make the springs snap stronger? if i added some preload by using a few washers would that change anything? also, what about adding an extra clutch plate and steel plate? thanks guys. i would never have gotten this thing running without your help.

Comment

Deglaze those steels with some steel wool.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

yeah, ive been reading up on clutch stuff on here.

Comment

if you add washers, i would just get performance springs, but if you do , make sure they dont bind up on ya
                      check the basket for "chatter marks" "grooves wore into the tabs"
                      the plates get stuck in them

Comment

the clutch is extremely smooth, no binding. just slips a bit under full throttle. adjusted the carbs a bit. runs a good bit better. has a really small stutter that is barely noticable. its only there when the rpms are low. lower than i usually run them. im gonna rip the clutch apart on the 750 and 850, take the best steels and fiber plates, scuff up the steels, maybe add a really thin washer or spacer to the springs. havnt decided yet.

Comment

also. the only gauge on the bike that works is the speedo. should i just take the whole cluster off and get a small speedo?

Comment

Did you go stock on the springs?
                            Do you have a manual and a caliper? I'd spec the fibers and steels before installing them.
                            Do you have the wave washer installed properly behind the piano wire at the back of the clutch pack?
                            I fought clutch slippage until I used some HD springs.

Comment

new stock replacement springs. and as far as i know the thing hasnt been apart. but ill find out the rest tonight when i take her apart

Comment

rebuilt the clutch today. all the steels were blued and smooth. rouched them up. clutch material looked brand new thow. put it all back together, new stock springs with a 16th of an inch washer that fits inside the spring hole and around the post in there and it is like a whole new machine. wot and power shifting and she just bites harder and harder. then a coil died on me. bugger. threw a coil from the 850 on her thow and shes running like a champ now. i was gonna get new coils when i could afford them anyways. installed my turn signals, and painted her all gloss black. the patina look wasnt working for me. ill post pics of her within the hour.
                                next on the list:
                                put the new front tire on
                                new braded brake lines
                                new pads
                                new chain
                                new sprockets
                                new grips
                                um. thats all i can think of for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X