#2 cylinder not heating up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 cylinder not heating up

81 GS850L fires right up w/o choke. Just had carbs rebuilt, yet the #2 cylinder remains cold when the other three are heated up. I laid a firing indicator on each spark plug wire, the #2 looked weaker than the other three. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM.

To start with replace the spark plug in #2 and remove old spark plug cap from HT lead. Cut 1/4" off end of HT lead and fit new spark plug cap. See how that goes.

Comment

Thanks, btw they are all brand new plugs. HT?
      Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by racquetman View Post
        Thanks, btw they are all brand new plugs. HT?
        HT = High Tension lead or spark plug leads.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2010, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Pull the vacuum line off the petcock, plug it, put it on prime and see if it heats up then.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bill..If the other three are firing and getting hot then it stands to reason that fuel IS passing thru all 4 carbs..fuel cant get to 1 or 4 without passing thru 2 and 3 via the transfer tubes. So that would mean that the petcock is working WITH the vacuum line attatched and letting fuel flow or else none of the carbs would have fuel. I was wondering what plugging the vacuum line and putting it on prime will do? Now one coil fires 1 and 4 and the other fires 2 and 3.. What i am wondering is would it be possible that since he stated that #2 has a weaker reading than the other three can one sdie of a coil go bad and cause this? I was just wondering.. i have never heard of a coil going bad and not loosing both cylinders it supports.. just wondering because myself and Scot Janes were checking this out as we were gatting him registered and showing him around the forum.. Not saying your wrong or anything... just curious about this...
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The vacuum line is pulling extra fuel into #2. I bet if he pulls the plug it is black.
              The petcock is still operating but the diaphram is leaking.
              This is my best guess since I'm not looking at the bike.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just because fuel is going through #2 carb to get to #1 does not mean that it's getting past the float valve into #2.

If the petcock diaphragm has a leak, and the float valve in #2 is stuck closed, there might be some fuel getting to the cylinder, but not the right mixture to fire, so eliminate the source of the possible leak.

It's not impossible for one side of the coil to fail, but it is highly improbable. It's more likely that there is a bad connection from the wire to the cap or a fouled plug.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the answers. and steve i thought the same about the coil failure. I havent experienced one myself but i have always heard it kills both or it fires both...usually no in between.. makes sense.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    The vacuum line is pulling extra fuel into #2. I bet if he pulls the plug it is black.
                    The petcock is still operating but the diaphram is leaking.
                    This is my best guess since I'm not looking at the bike.

^^^^ This. ^^^^
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys/gals. I did pull the #2 plug and yep it was pretty carboned up black, looked at #1 and was clean. Looks like time to invest in a new petcock diaphram? Special thanks to BWRinger, that's why you are a superstar!
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by racquetman View Post
                        Thanks for the help guys/gals. I did pull the #2 plug and yep it was pretty carboned up black, looked at #1 and was clean. Looks like time to invest in a new petcock diaphram?
                        Get a new petcock

Rebuilding them rarely is successful
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks Big T. Along with everyone else. Y'all are the best.

Comment

Working...
                          X