No announcement yet.

33mm smoothbores work on 79gs1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you post a picture of your carbs? I was thinking they were the Keihin smoothbores because they generally came in odd-number sizes (31,33,37...) while the Mikunis were usually even numbers (except for the famous 29s). This would also let us be sure that we are giving you good advice as to needle changes (the method can be completely different depending on the carb type). Pull the top off one of the carbs and get a closeup of the mechanism inside, too.

Comment

I don't have a digital camera, my friend does so I will try to get his and post the pics of my carbs, if this helps you can see the ones I purchased at[/url]http://classifieds.internetvisionary.com/default.asp?action=addetail&adid=22898

Comment

http://classifieds.internetvisionary...il&adidi=22898[/code][/list]

Comment

one more time, sorry everyone,

Comment

I have got them on and running,I went and got some 115 mains the low end surprisingly is stronger than stock. the upper end is ok as long as i don't give it full throttle until 6,000 rpm. if i give it full throttle before then it just bogs. I am excited to get it jetted correctly because it does pull so well at 1/4 throttle. I get all excited to go but then i give it more gas and the power goes bye bye. also now that my air box is gone what do you do with the hose that went from the top of the cams to the airbox?

Comment

I would put the 130 mains in it and see how it runs. Check the plugs after a run and make sure that they aren't turning black. If it still stutters in midrange, then the needles probably need to be raised too. To do that, you need to remove those 2 screws down in the slide to get to the needles. Pull the needle out and move the e-ring down 1 notch on the needle. Replace the needle (any spacers too, same order) and screws. Do that for all 4 carbs. Run it again and check the plugs, there should be a big difference. Your carbs should be synched to your motor, too.

Comment

Don
                When you say move the e ring down one notch that would bring the needle further out of the needle jet right? just want to make sure I am doing it right. The needle came out just as you described so now I am going to raise the needle putting less of the needle inside the needlejet.

Comment

correct a mundo

Comment

OK I will let you know how it works.
                    thanks

Comment

Don you are a genius
                      WOW!! Major difference, but not yet perfect. the engine still stutors a bit in the mid and high range when cold. When it is warm I can now go through the entire rpm range smoothly and it is smooth at full throttle.(which is a HUGE improvement over the past setup) however if i roll on the throttle too quick it stutors and if i am below 4000 rpm and nail it it will big down, and it still isn't too happy at constant throttle but definately better. I still have one more notch I could raise the needle. should I raise it? should I go with smaller needles? what about my main, should I raise that too? It runs so much better than two days ago. it really pulls well everywhere. when it isn't stuturin.

Comment

Try the 135 mains first, then if the stuttering is still there, raise the needle one more notch. If it runs great but starts fouling plugs, go back to the 130 mains. This is just shooting in the dark without plug checks, but it's your time of trial and error, so it's a good way to learn. Synchronization is still needed.

Comment

I left the needles where I had raised them. the 130 made the plugs so black they stopped working, so I put back in the 115's and it ran very nice. it actually pulled the front wheel up for the first time, which was very fun i must say. a good improvement in power, but they also made the plugs very black. so now i am going to put in 110's to see how they work. Is there anything else besides the main jet that would affect how rich the mixture is. the 115's turned them solid black in 2 days. could it be anything else?

Comment

I run 33mm Mikuni smoothbores on my GS1100E and they work great. I will check my jet sizes to give you some kind of reference.

Hap

Comment

Thanks Hap, I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X