No announcement yet.

33mm smoothbores work on 79gs1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one tghing to remember with big slide carbs on a relatively standard motor..opening the throttle too much at lower revs will bog it down as the air speed drops through the carbs (as opposed to CVs which do the job for you). You can expect some bogging down at lower revs/high throttle applications.

Otherwise, looks like you are on the right track. gets the mains right first, then needles, then idle circuit. The idle circuit/slide cutout/needles do interact a bit to give a smooth transition from idle as you open the throttle. Getting the right idle jet makes a big difference to driveability.

Comment

Thanks saaz, that makes sense about the bogging problem i have had at lower rpm. Right now I have 110 mains in and i think it is a little lean. when I get on it the engine will stutor, at which time I choke it and the extra fuel helps it out, so I am going to try something in between 110 and 115. Now the 115 was a large head main. the daimeter of the head was over twice the diameter of the threads. the 110 is a small head in that the entire main is the diameter of the threads. Does this difference matter at all?

Comment

I am a little stumped on this. I had in the 110's and it was running lean for three days. the plugs were white and as i said choking it actually helped. But yesterday I rode with my wife on back. Now when I ride alone i go much faster and accelerate much more rapidly then when she is on back. with her on back, the most throttle it gets is maybe 1/4 tops. and last night the bike ran funny and i pulled out the plugs and sure enough they were black. Is it possible it is getting to much gas at low throttle operation. I have my needles raised almost as high as they will go. I can go 1 notch higher. is this letting in too much gas at low throttle. So with the 110's i am way rich below half throttle, and lean above. Would it be a good idea to lower the needles (raise the clips) and increase main size? or is there another possibility i am not considering?

Comment

You sure can run too rich on the needles and too lean on the mains. Lifting the needles up (ie putting the clip in a lower groove) richens the mixture.

It sounds like you need to get the mains right first, then the needles. All the mikuni jets I have and have tried are smaller head.

What you are suggeting is right. Richen the main a bit, then get the needles right. make sure you are not getting false readings on the mains, as a bigger main may also lead to slightly richer midrange, blackening the plugs as you go through the midrange. A good hig rev high load run for 30 secs or so should be ok. If the 110s are definitely lean, I would have thought 115s would not be that rich to blacken the plugs, but it could be sensitive. 112.5 should get you close! Lower the needles, and..there you go!

Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks saaz if it doesn't snow I'll give a shot this weekend.

Comment

Oh ye, I forgot about that snow thing..it is mid summer here!!!

Comment

Don't I wish it was here!!

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                  Oh ye, I forgot about that snow thing..it is mid summer here!!!
                  . . . . . . .Please don't rub it in

Comment

Do I need new spark plugs to get an accurate reading of the mixture or can i just clean the old ones?

Comment

just clean the old ones.
                      Dink

Comment

Don is correct when he suggested a 130 to 135 main a #110 is way to small for that size carb with an 8 valve motor you need a small pilot jet like a #15 or 17.5 if you have a #25 or 30 this would turn your plug black to where it would give you a false reading on you plug unles you where to run wide open for about 2 or 3 miles shut it off coast to a stop a check the plug try these settings
                        135 main needle clip in the middle notch and a #15 pilot with the air screw at 1 1/2 turns out

Comment

135 main needle clip in the middle notch and a #15 pilot with the air screw at 1 1/2 turns out

That would have been my guess as a starting point. You have to make sure you do a true main jet test as low and mid range jetting may mask the results.

Comment

Well i cleaned the old plugs and went out and did the high rpm, high throttle load for a few miles. i first did it with the 115's, plugs came out white. did the same with 125's still came out white. today i will try the 135 mains and see what that gives me. I will check the pilot jet to see the size, thanks for the advice on the correct size. now when you say "air screw" turned out 1 1/2 turns, is that the screw that you can adjust on the outside of the carb. very close to the airfilters. and to turn it out 1.5 turns woud I just tighten it all the way and then turn it out 1.5 turns? sorry about my lack of knowledge. this is all new to me. but so fun.

Comment

Yes turn it all the way in, then out 1.5 turns, but be gentle when turning it in so you don't damage it. Good luck.

Comment

Yes, it can be fun, but feels better when you stop doing it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X