No announcement yet.

33mm smoothbores work on 79gs1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 1000gl, Thanks for the formula my bike rider combo is 750 lbs so my hp guess was not that far off.As for the safty thing I would try to convince her that the modified 1000 motor would cost almost as much money to get to the same hp as the 1150 motor is stock. Plus the advantages are relability of a stock 1150 motor is greater than a modified 1000 motor and less chance of leaving you stranded or blowing up.................skip

Comment

You know skip, according to the formula your friends kawasaki drag bike coming in at 75 lbs lighter than your ride only needed 144 hp to get to 140 mph. TO get to 136 mph your bike had to have 147 hp. Just in case you wanted to brag to your friend abouut the superiority of the suzuki
      YOu could say " you know, if you ever want to get to 141 mph you could borrow my motor!" any way thanks for the advice on how to convince my wife. If horsepower won't convince her, reliability sure might.

Comment

Sorry it took so long here are the carb settings
        throttle valve (slide) is 1.5
        jet needle is 6DJ30 on middle notch
        needle jet (emultion tube) is O-8
        main jet is 130
        pilot jet is 25
        main air jet is 2.0
        air screw is 1 turn out

hope this helps this bike does have an open after market exhaust
        also I am in south Florida 8 feet above sea level

Comment

thanks stretracer. thats sounds similar to what i now have. i have the 0-8 needle jet and have in 135 mains but they are a bit rich so when the snow goes away I will change those out for some smaller mains. I don't know what the main air jet does or even where it is I would very much like to see if it is close to the one you found. maybe I can figure it out from the pictures in the carb clean up series. The following is from cope racing about 33mm smoothbores.

For those of you who still own these carburetors a little jetting trick. In order to get better throttle response install 0.6 air correction jets. This allows you to run a smaller main jet while still giving you approximately the same air fuel ratio as before. Good starting point is 4 main jet sizes smaller than you previously had. Also installing a O-6 needle jet will help lean out the mid range.

what is an air correction jet and do you think this is a good idea? and since mikuni no longer makes these carbs where would I get a 0-6 needle jet? none of the motorcycle dealers around here have them.

Comment

Hey 79GS I found a site that might help they have all the info you need
            sudco.com

Comment

Working...
            X