No announcement yet.

Whats going on in your garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dink, There's no difference in width between a 630 and 530, the first digit refers to the pitch of the chain (distance of one link to the next) the next 2 digits refer to the width, you'd have to drop down to a 520 chain to get extra clearance, I run a 170/60 on a 5.5" rim on my GSX1000SD with a 630 chain.

Comment

Thanks Dink, that'll help. A 530 front sprocket it is, then. Any chance you know what kind of offset I'll need?

Comment

spdjunkie,
        You've got quite a project planned!!! 1500cc kit?!?
        It's going to be awesome!! You need to start a thread and figure out how to post pictures. Use www.imageshack.com or something.

You'll need a 5/8ths off-set counter sprocket. Here's some for $60:

The ones with the "nose" are for an outboard support.
        I just made my own with the old sprocket and spacers (see my website). But I also have a stock motor. I know once you run the chain further away from the tranny, you give the chain more "arm" or leverage on the counter shaft. You might consider an outboard bearing support:

If you are going for the max HP. The GS trannys are overbuilt, and I don't really know at what point an o.b.b.s. is neccessary, but if you have a quick-shifter and 200hp slamming into gears, I'd go for it.

My old 630 chain is 26mm wide, and my new 530 DID-O ring chain is 25mm at the widest part (the pins). But a non-O-ring "racing" type chain is thinner, but only by the width of the O-rings; less than 2mm. Not to worry, I run a 180 Michelin on a 5.5 rear with 5/8ths off-set c/s. I had to grind a little extra "gerth" off the frame, and take some off the c/s cover, but it all works just fine. Granted, all 180s are not actually the same.

-Kevin

Comment

Thanks Kevin! WOW! That's exactly the kind of C/S sprocket cover I was looking for, & couldn't find. Even if it's a tad spendy, I'm definitely getting one as soon as I can. Do you by chance know if they have the option of a 520, or 530 chain? All the website said was that # of teeth can be specified. Since they're all old GS's & KZ's, I would assume that means they're all 630's. Guess I'll give 'em a call. I wouldn't mind staying with the 630 but for two things; first, the non-o-ring chains are MESSY when they're adequately lubricated and second, I doubt I could easily get a hold of a 630 sprocket for a 'Busa rear wheel.

What's an o.b.b.s? Sorry, I'm unfmiliar with that particular acromym.

B.T.W. I did start a thread on posting pictures, and only one person replied. Unfortunately it wasn't as helpful as I would've liked. I'll try your suggestion as well.

Comment

I think they are made for a 530 chain. They have a funky site, but on another page they reference 530.

I made up OBBS because Out Board Bearing Support is too much for my tired little finger to type

Go back and check your thread about posting pictures:

Get it fingered out, 'cause i want to get my hands on some of your pictures. (pun intended) (not a good one, but I am easily entertained) (actually I just bent several paperclips into a little spaceman, and he is now hanging off my monitor) (that's entertainment)

-K

Comment

Get it fingered out, 'cause i want to get my hands on some of your pictures. (pun intended) (not a good one, but I am easily entertained) (actually I just bent several paperclips into a little spaceman, and he is now hanging off my monitor) (that's entertainment)

You can never have too much entertainment, but wouldn't you rather be riding that blue monster of yours?

I'll be sure & call them to verify, & also look over the website better when I get the chance. OBBS sounds good to me!

Comment

O.K. so now I've just shown that I can't correctly quote someone, either.

This website needs a tutorial!

Comment

Did someone say Dyna 2000? I've been thinking about one...best to get the one w/ their coils? Anyone find a good price for this part for '80 Gs1000s?

Comment

btw, does anyone know which 4 into 2 aftermarket exhaust system is available for gs1000s that is worth a darn...street use...or can I only get 4 into 1 system thats better? Is 4 into 2 really all that horrible? Sorry for dumb questions in the middle of cool post, but it seems as though you've done this before...I'm relatively new at this and I have a 1980 GS1000s scattered 2 cars worth over my garage...hahaha gotta love it, it is winter anyway, right?

Comment

Originally posted by spdjunkie
                      O.K. so now I've just shown that I can't correctly quote someone, either.

This website needs a tutorial!
                      Did You ever read the "Announcements" forum, or even try the FAQ in the page header menu?
                      Dink

Comment

Originally posted by spdjunkie
                        wouldn't you rather be riding that blue monster of yours?
                        I would love to, and I can't wait to ride that Blue monster! (It was actually a kind of purple/blue). Now it's Black and the body work is sitting under a blanket in my basement.

Until I get the wheels and frame back from the powdercoater I really can't take her for a ride. It's kind of amazing to look in my garage and see a motor on a stand, and almost every other part of the bike is on shelves. You wouldn't even think there was a bike in there.

There's a button called "quote" in every post. If you click on it, it will format the quote for you. Once you see how it works, it's easy. You can also go back and edit a post, so it might be worth your time to experiment with it.

-Kevin

Comment

Hey Kevin, I tried the "quote" button last night when I did that post. I also tried the "edit" button after I screwed it up. I guess it's just gonna take some parctice.

I know how you feel, wait until I get my pictures posted. My bodywork isn't even out for paint yet, the frame is waiting to be sent for powder coating, there are no wheels or brakes for the new swingarm/forks, no brake lines, no rubber, and the engine needs to come ALL THE WAY down, as there's a crack in the top case about 3.5" long from the counter shaft seal area, & up & back from there. I'm going to see if APE can repair it when I send it in to have the piston sleeve holes bored for the big block.

Thanks Dink, I'll check that area out.

abates226, I've had the Dyna 2000 on an '82 Kawasaki kz1000 and it's a WONDERFUL, and near flawless system. The best going rate at the moment is through APE @ aperaceparts.com and they're at $329.99. Yes, the Dyna 3 ohm coils are the ones to have with that ignition, but any coils will work. Just don't get the .7 ohm coils. They're for the Dyna 4000, and that's pretty much a drag racing application. Hope that helps.

Comment

O.K. some nice folks (including "outofcontrol) finally got my dumb a$$ up to snuff on posting photos, so here goes. These are before the teardown.....

Comment

........and these are more current.....

Comment

great pics!

I love the pics.

Are those ice trays? What a great idea.

-Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X