No announcement yet.

gsxr forks for my 1150 efe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GS1100 is a 1980. Is your stock swingarm about 22 1/2" long? If so, it is 1 1/2" more than mine. Interesting - if you have a different year maybe they changed the dimensions. I think I'll go check the overall lenghts of the different years to see if that makes sense.

I must say that the method that you are using to cut the pivot mounts is something I didn't think of. Is actually quite good. Give me some time to see if I can shoot holes in it! :twisted:

What is the reason for not wanting the torque arm arrangement on the brakes? Will it interfere with your exhaust system?

Comment

Mine is an '85 700 and the swingarm is about 22 1/2" long. The motors on '83 up models got more compact so that allowed a longer monoshock swingarm. I guess that's why Suzuki waited to go to the Full-Floater rear. They needed the extra room without having to make the bikes a mile long.

No particular reason for liking the caliper hanger arrangement. It slides with the wheel on chain adjustment and eliminates the torque arm. The banana swingarm also allows me to tuck the exhaust in closer to the frame. I'm actually running a stainless Yosh Duplex with an RS3 carbon canister that came off of what I believe was about a '91 or '92 GSX-R750. It bolted right up. It has exhaust spigots and the header is held on with springs. It's also super light. It's pretty snug under the motor so I wrapped the collector with some sisal I had lying around. Sisal is a flame retardant cactus fiber that I've installed quite a few times in Mormon churches I've worked on. It helps keep most of the heat away the oil pan.

After I adapt the swingarm I'll probably hunt down a 5.5" wheel to replace the 4.5" I have now. The 160 tire I'm running pretty much fills up the stock swingarm.

Comment

It's all becoming more clear to me now. I see why you are going the monoshock route with your bike. It would be a major change to go with the outboards. Just the opposite here. Besides keeping the twin shocks keeps the vintage look alive more on this bike.

My XR650 Honda has a caliper hanger for the rear brake. It is a slick arrangement, but it's a lot harder to change rear wheels with it. Lining up everything makes me nuts!

I started a post on my Suzuki earlier. I'll put info in when I have it on the swingarm. I'm taking pics as I go along, just going slow right now is all. Good luck on your project. I'm not shy about asking questions so you will probably hear back from me.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Steve,
          Feel free to email me if there's anything I can help with. If you come up with a better way to cut that extra material off the frame let me know.

Comment

GSXR forks on GS 1150.

[quote="Gerry"]I think I made a mistake already, the forks are off a 86 to 88 gsxr 1100 and I think they had a 18'' front wheel and I wanted 17" all around. I'm not sure but if this is true than it will be interesting putting the brakes on the forks. I don't have the wheel or the rotors yet and I got 89 gsxr 1100 calipers. Guess I'll wait tell the stuff gets here and get the tape out.

*** Hi, I`m working on it just now. My problem is even more interesting, because I used Katana 600 / 750 wheels ( 3.00 x 17 front and 3.50 x 17 rear) with 87 gsxr 1100 front. My point was to get 17`` rubber without changing a swingarm. I like original GS 1150 rear suspension very much and didnt want to mess with it. I wanted to use my Bandit 1.2 Nissin 4pots calipers, identical ( I belive) to yours 89 gsxr.
            To make a long story short - nothing fits.
            I mean this front will fit the frame no problem, but this is it.
            You can make a situation much easier buying 3.50 x 17 gsxr wheel - standart on it from 88. It will still need same playing with the axle and speedo drive ( they changed - 87 and 88 version has diffrent front forks).
            You will need gsxr front fender too - 1150 does not fit.
            Buying 3.50 gsxr wheel eliminates one of my problems - rotors not fiting gsxr calipers, because Katana hub is 10mm slimmer then gsxr.
            Still, your calipers will not fit this front forks sliders - their tabs are made for 8 mm bolts, not 10 mm and distance between mounting holes differs 5 mm. Tabs themselves are much smaller then gs 1150 tabs, and slotting them to accept this calipers is not an option, I`m afraid.
            The proper cours of action in our case is to buy COMPLETE front end from 88 / 89 GSXR - unfortunatly very rare on the market, and adapt it to our 1150 in maybe 1 hour - only `difficult` part is fitting a new handlebar.
            I wasn`t patient enough to wait for it, and am going to pay for all the brackets necessary to make my setup work.
            Regards - Adam M.

Comment

'88 and '89 Gixxers use a 4.5" X 17" rear. I believe they went to 5" in '90. For handlebars what I did was pick up a set of used clamps for tubular bars. I drilled a pilot hole from the bottom of the top clamp through one of the mounts for the guage bracket. Then from the topside drilled about halfway through the top clamp and tapped that to accept the handlebar clamps. Clip-ons would have interfered with the tank. I have both a Katana 600 3.5" and GSX-R 4.5" rear wheel. The rotors for both are different. You can use a Kat 600 caliper hanger for either wheel and if fits the stock GS axle.

Comment

Hey Adam, sucks to be us

At this point I'm not sure but I think I'm going to stick with the 87 front end and deal with it as you are. As far as the the bars go I was just going to take it to the machine shop and get them to bore it out the extra 4mm so it will fit without interfering with the faring. The front wheel isn't bought yet so 89 gsxr it is and throw away the brakes i bought.

How do you plan to mount your brakes?

Good luck and keep us posted as I will

Gerry

Comment

[quote="Gerry"]
                  At this point I'm not sure but I think I'm going to stick with the 87 front end and deal with it as you are. As far as the the bars go I was just going to take it to the machine shop and get them to bore it out the extra 4mm so it will fit without interfering with the faring.

*** Same here. I got my front in very good shape with the aftermarket fork holder ( polished billet alu 17 mm thick - check the size of your fender holder )) To use all the length of this front end I decided to install bar clamps on the top yoke and use a standart handlebar.

The front wheel isn't bought yet so 89 gsxr it is and throw away the brakes i bought.

*** I wouldn`t throw them away - they are tremendous improvement for GS 1150 over original calipers - I used them with Kawasaki 1000 R master cylinder and was very happy with 2 finger`s front brake I got.
                  In your situation it is easyier to use original 87 gsxr calipers, but I`m going to reuse Nissins.
                  Because my front wheel is slimer then gsxr ( 10 mm ), I can make 2 steel brackets 5 mm thick to carry them and in the same time setting them properly with Katana rotors.
                  By the way, what are you going to do about a rear wheel?
                  Billy mensioned 4.5 x 17, but my question is did it clear original swingarm?
                  After my experiences with a front end I wouldn`t like to play additionaly with a rear end )).
                  Regrds - Adam M.

Comment

Originally posted by mmedyna
                    Billy mensioned 4.5 x 17, but my question is did it clear original swingarm?
                    I've got an '85 700 and my understanding is the 1150 swingarm is slightly bigger. Now on the swingarm, I just finished measuring from the inside edge of the rim. I'm talking rim, not hub. The portion where the wheel weights fit. The furthermost point to the front of the bike where you could measure the distance between the inside of the swingarm from that point. I am getting 8 1/2". I am running a 160/60 on the 4.5" wheel. I have about 3/8" to spare on each side. Later I'll be switching to a Gixxer swingarm and probably pick up a 5.5" wheel.

When I did the conversion I went with the Gixxer wheel. '88 and '89 models had the 4.5". I am using the Gixxer rotor, caliper, and sprocket. I am using Katana 600 spacers on each side, and Katana caliper hanger. I am using stock axle with stock bearings installed in the wheel. There is a bearing support between the sprocket carrier and hub which is Katana 600. The bearing support inside the hub is my stock piece with a small length of pipe J-B Welded to it so it ends up the same length as the Gixxer piece. The brake torque has to be bent to clear the tire and moved to the bottom of the swingarm. It is a tight squeeze on my bike between the swingarm where the axle fits. May not be a problem on an 1150. I finally used a hydraulic jack to spread the swingarm a little for more clearance. That caused the front to move closer together so you have to wrestle it into the pivot section. I think that about covers it.

Comment

*** I wouldn`t throw them away - they are tremendous improvement for GS 1150 over original calipers -

No I wouldn't do that. I would like to use them just don't see how on this front end. I didn't get the 87 brake system on ebay (didn't try to hard). I am leaning toward trying to get an 89 front end.

That is a good idea with the bars to get more height on the front but how will they tuck into the faring or do you have an E ? I don't see how regular bars would be very friendly with my bike.

I wasn't going to do any thing with the rear this year or until I get the front end done. Like you I am just working on the front first. The rim Billy has is tempting but one thing at a time.

Gerry

Comment

GSXR forks on GS 1150.

[quote="Gerry"]***
                        I am leaning toward trying to get an 89 front end.

*** There is one on Ebay listed now and price is reasonable.
                        It lacks front axle, calipers, fender and ignition switch but would be OK for your aplication.

That is a good idea with the bars to get more height on the front but how will they tuck into the faring or do you have an E ? I don't see how regular bars would be very friendly with my bike.

*** Not true. First thing I changed on my GS (and our bikes are identical)
                        were this terrible clippons. I installed the bars from GSX 550 - little lower then 1150 E bars. I lost sam wind protection, but a ride was much more comfortable. The standart bar I plan to use will be even lower then 550 bar - no interference with the faring is possible. ( GSX 550 bar gave me some interference between master cylinder and faring, when I pushed the bike making sharp left turns).

I wasn't going to do any thing with the rear this year or until I get the front end done. Like you I am just working on the front first. The rim Billy has is tempting but one thing at a time.

*** The rim doesn`t go anywhere as he said and you can eventually use it next winter )) After his explanation in the post above I do not thing instalation of the 4.5 wheel is too difficult and maybe I will choose to go this way as well.
                        I just finished measuring and drawing all parts necessary to make my conversion and feel pretty good about it. It consist of two brackets for brakes and two spacers for axle. Not so difficult after all.
                        Regards - Adam M.

Comment

There is one on Ebay listed now and price is reasonable

Thanks, I was watching that front end and it is from the same guy I got the 86-7 front end.

Not true. First thing I changed on my GS (and our bikes are identical) were this terrible clippons
                          Any bar mounts will do? Did you mount them as far back on the triple clamp as you could or are they in the center? I am definitely going to look into this. I have a set of bars from my kz 1000. they have an 1 1/2" rise on them. Would these be close to what your using? What about the big weight at the end of the bars? I just never gave this any thought because when I read about it I said to myself "it will never fit in with the fairing" and I thought you had an "E".

The mod for the rear wheel has got my attention as well.

Thanks Gerry

Comment

These handlebar mounts could be converted to work. They look very similar to what I'm using minus the rubber and the lower piece. I'll bet that bolt coming down through is a hex head inserted from the bottom half of the clamp. That's how mine are. You could get any length bolt you need to make them work. Just drill and tap the clamp as I pointed out in an earlier post.

The set above look like they will work too. Just replace the bolt with the right length of stud.

Comment

Billy is correct. Those bar mounts should work. Just about any motorcycle dealer who has dirt bikes should have them - either the standard bar diameter or the 'fat' ones. I doubt if the fat bars will fit in your fairing though.

Comment

Ok, things are going great. I contacted the owner of the 89 forks for a measurement and after we talked he was willing to cancel the auction and trade front ends. Oh ya this guy is great. So we will do the swap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1876791399
                                The set above look like they will work too. Just replace the bolt with the right length of stud
                                Thanks Billy, I like these ones so the wife's ebay account is working overtime . If I read your post right the bar clamps are tapped into the triple clamp and not bolted from underneath. This sounds pretty easy to do. I'll have to look for a master because the angle is going to change for the level of the fluid.
                                A buddy was over looking at the progress and we were talking about the rear end he offered me a 90 gsxr 750 swingarm. Hummm the plot thickens!!! :twisted: I measured the 1150 swingarm and at the furthest point from the front of the bike it measures 8 3/4 ". just to let you know from an earlier post. I think I will get the front end done and see how much winter (and cash) is left for the rear.

Thanks Gerry

Comment

Working...
                                X