gsxr forks for my 1150 efe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dink
    Gerry I seem to recall you mentioning you had a custom made fox shock in the rear of your 1150? if I am remembering correctly can you give me somemore details please.
    Dink
    Hey no problem.

The fox shock I have is off a 1990 GSXR 750. It came with two springs, I installed the heavier of the two. Put in 15 wt oil and had the shock recharged.

The shock was adjustable so I adjusted it to match the height of the 1150 original shock.

The mounting of the shock I did with little modification. One end had an eye and matched the mounting of the 1150 (lower). The upper Part of the shock had a "u" mounting bracket. I had to grind the outside edge to fit the "u" and then had a spacer welded in the center. THe remote canister I mounted in one of the holes that held the old shock adjuster. The canister is mounted on a "L" shaped piece of metal with hose clamps to hold it to the "L" shaped metal.

Hope this helped.

On an other note, I went to finish up my roll of film on the finished upgrade to the 1150 only to find the film was installed wrong . All the pictures of when the bike was apart------GONE----. I've only had this camera 15 years. Think I would know how to load the film in it by now. Time to upgrade the camera.

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by mmedyna9629
      These are 38mm mikuni flat slides.

*** I forgot your carbs aren`t stock.

Are the Kat wheels three spoke? And did you have to make the two spacers or are they from the kat rim?

*** They look exactly like GSXR, but are slimmer front 3``, and rear 3.5``. From 1998 they are 3.5 and 4.5`` so are ideal for our application.
      These new wheels have different spokes like newer GSXR.
      I used some spacers from my bike and Kat rim and made them shorter.
      The inner spacer between sprocket carrier and a wheel was original Kat spacer.
      Adam M.

Thanks for the tips.

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry
        On an other note, I went to finish up my roll of film on the finished upgrade to the 1150 only to find the film was installed wrong . All the pictures of when the bike was apart------GONE----.
        I did that same thing once, and it really ticked the wife off. She had won front row and backstage passes to a Jon Secada concert. Cmaeras were allowed so I took my Nikon. I was busy snapping what would have been great shots. It was a 24 exposure roll and I started thinking, "Is this roll ever going to end?" Turns out I didn't have the leader started right. Boy was I in trouble. Fortunately he came back through on Valentine's Day last year and we went. I got some great shots including one of her kissing her on the cheek.

Comment

It was a 24 exposure roll and I started thinking, "Is this roll ever going to end?" Turns out I didn't have the leader started right.

That's what happened to me as well.

Gerry

Comment

I just wanted to give you a quick look of the 1150 with the 89 front end.

Gerry

Comment

Very nice Gerry. The ride heighth adjuster on your shock is going to come in handy when you get a new wheel out back.

Comment

Wow - nice - excellanto!

Comment

I sent off a request to one of the local bike salvage shops today for a quote on some parts:

90~91 GSXR 750 forks (inverted) complete with wheel and brakes
                  88~91 GSXR 750 rear wheel with brake
                  90~91 GSXR gauges (in case I cannot use the GS1150 gauges I'm getting any day now)

If this will not work at all on my bike, please - somebody - stop me. Shiiiiny inverted forks :mrgreen:

I will use bar mounts and a tubular bar (crosser style), as I do not like riding with clip-ons. Hopefully this will allow me to drop the forks enough to avoid the worst clearance problems.

Comment

Use the 4.5" wheel off of an '88 or '89. After that the wheels got wider. Unless you plan on swapping swingarms the 4.5" is as large as you can use. Even with a swingarm swap you'll have other problems to solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                      Very nice Gerry. The ride heighth adjuster on your shock is going to come in handy when you get a new wheel out back.
                      Originally posted by Swanny
                      Wow - nice - excellanto!
                      Thanks For the thumb's up guys!!!!!

I'm real happy with the upgrade. Only logged on a few hundred miles so far (working too much) but I notice a big difference in the way the bike handles. The old 1150 forks worked like a worn out shock compared to the gsxr front end and I thought the old forks were great. I put 20 wt oil in because of the weight of the bike. I think this might be overkill, might try 15 wt later when I have log more time on the bike.

I will post a link to more pictures when I get them on to my website. And once again thanks for all the help. This would not have been done had I not found this great site.

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by D|sElMiNk
                        90~91 GSXR gauges (in case I cannot use the GS1150 gauges I'm getting any day now)
                        The only reason I couldn't use my gauges is because I didn't find a gsxr spedo cable long enough.

Gerry

Comment

90~91 GSXR 750 forks (inverted) complete with wheel and brakes
                          Hmm, don't think that year and model are inverted.

Comment

I posted a few more Pictures. If you would like see them give the link a click.

Gerry

Comment

Great pictures Gerry, the mods look awesome!!!
                              8) 8) 8)

Comment

'91 would have been the first year for inverted forks.

Comment

Working...
                                X