gsxr forks for my 1150 efe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gerry
    Ok, things are going great. I contacted the owner of the 89 forks for a measurement and after we talked he was willing to cancel the auction and trade front ends. Oh ya this guy is great. So we will do the swap.

Thanks Gerry
    So you're the responsible party that prevented me from spending more money on ebay Just kiddin, but I was watching that front end out of curiousity to see what it would bring.

Comment

That's great he guy swapped you front ends. Takes all the guess work out of things and you can be sure everything will work. One thing I would recommend you do if you don't already have a set, get steel braided lines. I'm using my GS master cylinder up front. With rubber lines the brakes were still better than stock. But you used up alot of lever stopping hard. With steel lines I'm using maybe 3/4" of lever stroke and the feel is very solid.

Take your time on the rear. If you can make the Gixxer rear work for you do it. You'll be able to use newer GSX-R shocks with remote reservoirs and adjustments for everything. I think the '90 used a 5" rear wheel. You'll be able to run 170 and maybe 180 tires. There will be lots of mods you will have to make to have it work. Pegs may have to be altered and a few other minor problems.

Comment

That's great he guy swapped you front ends. Takes all the guess work out of things and you can be sure everything will work.
        Ya, I'm glad he did it for me. Saves me some coin for my screw up.

I have individual ss lines from the master to each caliper and a bleeder on the master. That got rid of the splitter on the forks. I had SBS pads and two finger brakes. Still want to make the brakes more gooder (new english).

I'm in no hurry to do the rear. He said he ran a 180 on the rear of his gixer. I might take it apart to see how close it is but that will be about it for this year. The pegs are mounted separately so this might work for me.

I have a fox shock mounted with the remote reservoir. It made a big difference when I did that mod. It became a whole different bike. The old 1150 front has progressive springs as well . This made it work well but I think it will be so much better this year with better rubber and front end.

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
          Originally posted by Gerry
          Ok, things are going great. I contacted the owner of the 89 forks for a measurement and after we talked he was willing to cancel the auction and trade front ends. Oh ya this guy is great. So we will do the swap.

Thanks Gerry
          So you're the responsible party that prevented me from spending more money on ebay Just kiddin, but I was watching that front end out of curiousity to see what it would bring.
          OOPS sorry :twisted:

Comment

Just an update, the 89 forks got here and the fit great. Bolt right up. I installed the fork stops on the lower triple clamp. (3/8 ss bolts). Drilled and taped the upper triple clamp for the bar mounts and installed standard bars. I also bought a new (used katana) brake master to fit the new angle of the bars.
            Looks like the difference in ride height is only going to be about an inch and a half.

All I need now is a front wheel. Say, does a 1150 need a front wheel? 8O

If you would like to see a picture of the forks in place(the day they came)give the link a click. I will have pictures posted on my web site when its done.

Gerry

Comment

Looking good Gerry. Amazing how easy it goes together isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                Looking good Gerry. Amazing how easy it goes together isn't it?
                Yes and thanks for all your help

Gerry

Comment

I'm just waiting for rotors and then I can put the bike back together. I still don't have a speedometer yet. Any Ideas out there for this? The 1150 spedo cable doesn't fit the GSXR drive. If I was to get a GSXR cable does anyone know if it will fit the 1150 speedometer? I know it won't be dead on but it will give me something to work with. I was also thinking about getting a digital one but not sure about that. I think I would like to get a GSXR tack and speedo for the finished product but I think that will be next year or if I can find one cheep enough.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks, Gerry

Comment

The Gixxer cable does fit. Get the '90 1100 cable. It should be a little longer than earlier 750 cables. I am running Gixxer guages, so when you get ready to do the swap I can tell you how to hook up the tach.

Comment

Hi Billy,
                      I just started implanting my 4.5``wheel to GS 1150 swingarm.
                      It looks like this wheel is too wide for the application. The distance between swingarm`s arms is 8.88`` what makes 222 mm, giving me 111 mm for the side. The brake side of the wheel is no problem, however sproket side is simply too long - 117 mm ( using Katana 600 sproket carrier 10 mm shorter then original). Did you have the same situation?
                      I remember tha you tryed to widen the distance between yours swingarm arms - how wide did you pushed it?
                      I wouldn`t like to do it, rather to machine Katana`s sprocket carrier, which is necessary for moving the sprocket back as well. Rear sprocket is 10 mm closer to the arm comparing to original, and I will machine some 6 mm from the base and put a 4 mm distance under the front sprocket to make this chain go in a straight line. Only question is do I have enough clearance between the tire edge and a chain ? How does it look in your bike? I will have to cut another 6mm from the front off the carrier ( where a seal covering a bearing sits) and find a slimer bearing and seal to acomodate it in the smaller housing. Looks pretty complicated - do you have any better ideas?
                      Regards - Adam M.

Comment

Adam,
                        I used a hydraulic jack to spread the swingarm about another 1/4". My application was for a 700E which may be slightly different than yours. I have about a quarter inch between the chain and the tire. One other thing I did to make some extra room was to cut the chain adjusters to where they only fit on the outside of the swingarm. I used some 1/4" steel bar bent into an L-shape. Drilled and tapped that for the adjuster bolt then welded that to the cut off piece of chain adjuster. I did that for strength. I tried just cutting the inside portion of the chain adjusters off, but they were too weak and when you tightened up on the adjusters they started pushing themselves outward.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                          The Gixxer cable does fit. Get the '90 1100 cable. It should be a little longer than earlier 750 cables. I am running Gixxer guages, so when you get ready to do the swap I can tell you how to hook up the tach.
                          THanks for the info Billy

Comment

GSXR forks on GS 1150.

Thanks for the answer Billy.
                            I dont know how I measured this swingarm, because yesterday I tried to fit a wheel in this swingarm, and everything fits even with chain adjusters in. I will be working on it tonight as well, but I`m positive it really works.
                            What did you do to your sprocket, Billy - offset the front sproket, or cut the base on the sprocket carrier?
                            Adam M.

Comment

Adam,
                              I didn't do anything on mine as far as alignment. It runs pretty straight just as it is.

Comment

Hey Billy,

I need a little more help from you. I bought a 92 gsxr spedo from ebay (not here yet). Do you think you could tell me how to do the tach on it?
                                Do I need a plug from a 92 harness? I have the wiring schematics for my bike and can follow directions well I bought the new cluster because I didn't get a spedo cable that would fit.

I have the bike together (no plastic on it yet). It seems to be an inch lower than before so that worked out well.

The sun is out and I might take it for a ride to see how everything works. Today is the only day I can do this because I will be busy for the next three weeks.

Thanks once again, Gerry

Comment

Working...
                                X