1983 GS1100E Cheap easy mods thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100E Cheap easy mods thread

My 1983 GS1100E is mostly stock (used to be Jethro's) but the previous owner(s) have done some nice mods ..

Pingle fuel tap
    1150 oil cooler
    Paragon braided brake (6 line kit) lines
    Dyna coils
    Ricks stator and r/r
    Sargent saddle cover
    AGM battery
    MDI rear shocks
    Progressive fork springs
    Custom rear sport luggage rack with removable back rest

Cruising Ebay .. I saw a set of 1150 carbs going cheap so I jumped.

Good idea ?

Any other ideas that are low budget but can be felt in the seat of the pants ?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2008, 07:08 PM.

The 1150 carbs will be a good addition but 33 round slide or 36 flat slide smoothbores would make even more power & your existing pods will still work on any of the carbs I listed. Also, a set of Cam Motion G-4 cams will make good power too. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray ..

Still running stock airbox and paper filter right now ..

Have a K&N replacement filter for it next oil change.

Also have some K&N pods new in box thinking about putting on with a little Yosh canister just for a change (no the stock black chrome pipes will never be for sale)

My riding ability is still very novice .. so I want to increment up slowy.

My budget is very small too

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      The 1150 carbs will be a good addition but 33 round slide or 36 flat slide smoothbores would make even more power & your existing pods will still work on any of the carbs I listed. Also, a set of Cam Motion G-4 cams will make good power too. Ray.

Comment

Watch sticking that 4 into 1 on Mike.
        I remember Jethro went back to the stock pipes after many times messing with the jetting when he ran pods and 4 into 1.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I remember him telling me that too .. thanks.

I just want to get it out of my system .. but I will keep the stock carbs and pipes (as Jethro sold them to me) for a fallback.

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
          Watch sticking that 4 into 1 on Mike.
          I remember Jethro went back to the stock pipes after many times messing with the jetting when he ran pods and 4 into 1.

Comment

Sweet bike, I would just leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
              Any other ideas that are low budget but can be felt in the seat of the pants ?
              1) Remove the anti-dive units from the brake circuit. Free and your forks instantly work better under braking.

2) Racetech cartridge emulators for the forks. IMO, they are the single greatest thing you can add to make the damper rod fork work well. Great value for the money. They will work fine with your PS springs.

3) Progressive Suspension shocks. I would recommend higher end ones, but are keeping to a budget and the PS ones are the best value going.

4) Pods and 4-1 pipe. Yes, you will have to rejet. They also completely alter the character of the bike, making it feel much sharper and sportier. More noise (both intake and exhaust) and slightly lower mileage, but a lot more fun in the end...

5) New rubber if the current tires are getting worn.

Since you say you are a novice rider, I would do all the handling things first, then the engine work. The bike already has decent power but better handling is always appreciated at any speed.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark .. I have replaced tires once already and have a fresh set in the shed waiting for installation.

The noise won't bother me .. I can always go back.

My anti-dive hose started leaking recently so I have considered that mod.

Racetech is on the list too.

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
                1) Remove the anti-dive units from the brake circuit. Free and your forks instantly work better under braking.

2) Racetech cartridge emulators for the forks. IMO, they are the single greatest thing you can add to make the damper rod fork work well. Great value for the money. They will work fine with your PS springs.

3) Progressive Suspension shocks. I would recommend higher end ones, but are keeping to a budget and the PS ones are the best value going.

4) Pods and 4-1 pipe. Yes, you will have to rejet. They also completely alter the character of the bike, making it feel much sharper and sportier. More noise (both intake and exhaust) and slightly lower mileage, but a lot more fun in the end...

5) New rubber if the current tires are getting worn.

Since you say you are a novice rider, I would do all the handling things first, then the engine work. The bike already has decent power but better handling is always appreciated at any speed.

Mark

Comment

Thanks .. I won't do anything that is not reversible.

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                  Sweet bike, I would just leave it alone.

Comment

your bike

Awesome machine!! In my opinion one of the nicest looking GS's ever made. I would like to upgrade to the 1150 oil cooler on my 82, do you have any pics you could share....rebuilding the suspension on mine, but I sure do like the stocker look..takes me back to my high school days when I used to drool over these things!!

Great thread by the way

joe

Comment

I agree .. one of the best examples of Suzuki .. love my 1100

When I was fortunate enough to get this bike from Jethro, it already had the 1150 oil cooler on it. .

I would be happy to snap some pics if you like, but it is a pretty simple upgrade from what I understand ..

Comment

those 4 into 1 pipes are rubbish . it wouldnt look good on there .....i think you should allow me to take it off your hands for nothing

Comment

Good thread, Mike. I have an 83 1100E that I am taking in the opposite direction--back to stock except for a luggage rack and probably a plexifaring for touring. I picked up a airbox on e-bay. It already has stock 4 into 2. Suspension is the one place I will need to go aftermarket.

I am going for low/mid range and gas mileage. My drag racing aspirations are many years gone now.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

1150 cams will drop right in and be an improvement. Or if you get lucky on ebay you could go with an 1150 head...bigger intake valves. That with the cams and a jet kit would really wake her up.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Bruce .. forgive my 2nd grade questions .. but you are thinking either 1150 cams in my engine as it is, with the 1150 carbs ..

or

1150 head, cams and carbs ?

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                              1150 cams will drop right in and be an improvement. Or if you get lucky on ebay you could go with an 1150 head...bigger intake valves. That with the cams and a jet kit would really wake her up.

Comment

Working...
                              X