No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100E Cheap easy mods thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't expect to ever drag race either ..

Just looking to tap into any hidden reserves with breaking mine

I will maintain complete reversiblity.

Looking forward to seeing yours done Don.

I want better shocks for now ... maybe more modern wheels and suspension some day.

Originally posted by dpep View Post
    Good thread, Mike. I have an 83 1100E that I am taking in the opposite direction--back to stock except for a luggage rack and probably a plexifaring for touring. I picked up a airbox on e-bay. It already has stock 4 into 2. Suspension is the one place I will need to go aftermarket.

I am going for low/mid range and gas mileage. My drag racing aspirations are many years gone now.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
      Bruce .. forgive my 2nd grade questions .. but you are thinking either 1150 cams in my engine as it is, with the 1150 carbs ..

or

1150 head, cams and carbs ?
      any of the above! The cams will drop right in by themselves, but so will the 1150 head. Combine all three (head, cams, and jetted carbs), degree the cams, and you have just tapped into a bunch more power.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Sounds interesting .. back to ebay

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        any of the above! The cams will drop right in by themselves, but so will the 1150 head. Combine all three (head, cams, and jetted carbs), degree the cams, and you have just tapped into a bunch more power.

Comment

You guys all need to remember that the 1150 exhaust cam does NOT have a tach drive gear on it & you will lose your 1100 cable drive tach with an 1150 exhaust cam. Same goes for an 1150 head on an 1100 as the 1150 valve cover has no provision for a tach drive on it. Ray.

Comment

Did you already buy the carbs? Those will bolt on but I'm not sure about the airbox. I jetted a set for Posplayr on his 83 with .340 Web Cams and it runs great. You'll need to get a Dynojet stage 3 kit and I'll help you set it up with the pods. You'll like the power difference. Is the slip on a 4-1 or a dual with more air flow.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Ray .. yea I have a gauge set with an electronic tach that I could run while in this mode .. and I will keep my current gauges under my pillow.

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              You guys all need to remember that the 1150 exhaust cam does NOT have a tach drive gear on it & you will lose your 1100 cable drive tach with an 1150 exhaust cam. Same goes for an 1150 head on an 1100 as the 1150 valve cover has no provision for a tach drive on it. Ray.

Comment

Yea bought the carbs on ebay .. I've been told the airbox comes off, so I was prepared for K&N pods and a stage 3.

The pipe is a not so old Yosh .. here is a bad pic of it. .. I also have a similar (black pipe small canister) Vance and Hines to try.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Did you already buy the carbs? Those will bolt on but I'm not sure about the airbox. I jetted a set for Posplayr on his 83 with .340 Web Cams and it runs great. You'll need to get a Dynojet stage 3 kit and I'll help you set it up with the pods. You'll like the power difference. Is the slip on a 4-1 or a dual with more air flow.

Comment

Just my suggestion, but before you do anything, at all, i would suggest replacing the oil pump gears with those from an 80-82 TSCC 750 motor, or get a set of high volume gears from APE or whoever sells em. (someone does) If I were modding EITHER of my 1100s, or even NOT modding them (one will be heavily, one will be near stock when im done) this is a must do. Especially if you plan on hopping it up with cams, carbs and other goodies.

As to you ORIGINAL question on the carbs, like I said before, ALONE, and in stock configuration, I wouldnt think there is much advantage to it, and im not even sure it will fit airbox side. If you want drop in, instant performance, seat of the pants upgrade, but nothing massive nor $$$$, find a set of 1150 cams, and drop em in. Pods and pipe are in your future with those carbs, so you might ask someone who's done this for a ballpark on a jetting set up, as the cams, carb throat size and pods and pipe combo are not going to be "DynoJet" friendly, its likely going to need some hand fiddling with un-DJ mismatched sizes. I do believe i recall someone saying the center two carbs on the 1150 actually had smaller jets in them, but dunno for certain.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM.

Comment

joshhhhh.
                    the factory pump gears to use is the 8v. 750 77-79.
                    the 80-82 750 16v. will work i guess..just the gear behind the basket is thinner at the out most part near the teeth(stepped down)..but..
                    8 and 16v. pump gears of those years and models share the same ratio.
                    the reason the diff ratio gears was used on the old 8 valvers was because they had a differant primary ratio and suzuki needed to spin the pump faster.

one more thing...
                    if the truth was known,
                    i think theres a good chance that alot of the aftermarket hi-vol pump gears sold are factory 8v. 750 gears from suzuki....just re-packaged

and if using 1150 carbs/cams ect...
                    most ive found was just to use the largest main jet supplyed in the jet kit.
                    if mid is lacking go down(lower) 1-2 on the needle which will richen it up.
                    these jet kits are for 80-83 1100E and all 1150's(same kit)(dyn0jet)

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      joshhhhh.
                      the factory pump gears to use is the 8v. 750 77-79.
                      the 80-82 750 16v. will work i guess..just the gear behind the basket is thinner at the out most part near the teeth(stepped down)..but..
                      8 and 16v. pump gears of those years and models share the same ratio.
                      the reason the diff ratio gears was used on the old 8 valvers was because they had a differant primary ratio and suzuki needed to spin the pump faster.

one more thing...
                      if the truth was known,
                      i think theres a good chance that alot of the aftermarket hi-vol pump gears sold are factory 8v. 750 gears from suzuki....just re-packaged

and if using 1150 carbs/cams ect...
                      most ive found was just to use the largest main jet supplyed in the jet kit.
                      if mid is lacking go down(lower) 1-2 on the needle which will richen it up.
                      these jet kits are for 80-83 1100E and all 1150's(same kit)(dyn0jet)
                      Terrrryyyy The 8v 750 was a LOW PRESSURE, HIGH VOLUME motor. Putting those gears in would do absolutely nothing AFAIK, and I have read to the contrary. From what I have read and been told from those who know better than I, the 16v 750 HIGH PRESSURE pump gears are what are to be used.

Someone confirm/deny our lil disagreement?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Terrrryyyy The 8v 750 was a LOW PRESSURE, HIGH VOLUME motor. Putting those gears in would do absolutely nothing AFAIK, and I have read to the contrary. From what I have read and been told from those who know better than I, the 16v 750 HIGH PRESSURE pump gears are what are to be used.

nope...
                        check it out..
                        im sure on this for the past 20 years.
                        same ratio as the 750 insert bearing engine gears.
                        go pull a set of 8 valvers and compare to the 16v. 750 gears

Comment

nope...
                          check it out..

i used to buy all the 750 8 valver engines i could find cheap.
                          the reason being....
                          i robbed the straight cut crank and basket gears and the oil pump gears..
                          plus any misc. hardware i chose to keep.
                          i used to buy those complete engines for 20-50 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post

nope...
                            check it out..
                            The 8 valve 750's share the same gears with the high pressure 16 valve 750's up to 1982. driven gear is part number 16331-45000, number of teeth: 29. The drive gear is part number 16321-45002, number of teeth: 38. They also share the same oil pump. The difference is in the oil passages and how the crankcase is made. The 8 valve allows for lower pressure but higher volume. The 16 valve allows for higher pressure to better lubricate the top end and plain crank.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Well i can honestly say i didnt know that they shared the same pump drive gears. And, as such, we're both right

Comment

the pump gears are the same, basket gears made a little differant...
                                they both do the same job/same ratio but...
                                from years ago it was common knowlage to use the 8v. 750 pump gears.
                                im am not old or young...middle aged i guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X