best sports tyres for GS1000EN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best sports tyres for GS1000EN

OK. I'm sure this has been asked before..sorry....I am looking for the best up to date sports tyres for the original wheels on my 79 GS1000EN (bearing in mind they will need inner tubes too)....what are your thoughts guys?

cheers

RB

I use Dunlop Arrowmax GT 501s.
    They hold on very well in the twisties but I haven't really tried them in the rain.
    Another good choice are the BT 45s from Bridgestone.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Pirelli Sport Demons.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

+1 on the Sport Demons.

They go away a bit faster than the V-rated Bridgestone Battleaxe BT-45's though which are a very close second in my book.

Daniel

Comment

A lot of people also liked the Avon Road Riders before the cracking problems appeared. Some still use them. VenomX is was also good, if you couldn't get the RoarRider in the correct size for your front. Good wet or dry grip, reasonable durability. Other people like the Spitfire S11, though they may not be as "sporty" as others.

I seem to remember the Sport Demons don't last quite as long as others. Is that right?
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Tyres

Avon Road riders for me as fitted to my Gs1085S ,was recomended them by 2 earlystock racers
            have found them brilliant in the wet and dry......
            tried sport Demmons ,they only lasted 1000miles then were awfull in the wet,but everyone has differant opinions.....
            I havent had any cracking problem with mine?....

Comment

I'd go for Pirelli's personally. Seem to handle better on a GS than BT45's.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                I'd go for Pirelli's personally. Seem to handle better on a GS than BT45's.
                Just the same as the old phantoms "we had back in the eightys" ,us older boys will know what i mean Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh.......
                good for 1000/1500miles then go off......

Comment

Road Riders, just be sure to wear them out before they crack.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Road Riders, just be sure to wear them out before they crack.
                    But they arrive cracked brand new!

Another GOOD one from tkent.

Daniel

Comment

For the stickiest of all, Pirelli Sport Demons, hands down.

However, they are expensive, soft, and wear out quickly.

Avon RoadRiders cost a bit less, stick 99.5% as well and last a lot better. Plus, they have far better handling manners when they're worn -- even when the tread is getting faint, they still feel great.

RoadRiders also have a slightly "pointier" profile that sharpens handling a bit, like your bike lost 100 pounds -- very nice effect on a GS. I like 'em, obviously.

FWIW, I've never seen a cracked RoadRider in person, and I've used up and installed at least two dozen on my bikes and on bikes belonging to several friends. Do whatever makes you happiest.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I use the Avon Roadriders on both my bikes, no cracking problems as yet.
                        And I likes 'em.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

thanks guys...looks like I will give the avon roadriders a try

cheers

RB

Comment

I believe (partially from personal experience) that some of the cracking issues are caused by people running them at too low pressure....

Avon's recommendation is a far higher pressure than the 30 year old Suzuki one.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah I agree with the general consensus here: Pirelli Sport Demon! I have them on my 1982 1100S and they are the best handling tyre I have experienced in the 26 years I have owned it! Hard sharp twisties, mountain roads, hills, flatlands, wet or dry roads (no snow for this black duck) they perform so well that you enjoy every ride no matter what the weather throws at you. Yes, they may wear a bit quicker than some of the other brands but it's cheaper to put very good tyres on a bike than repair a bike after a prang because the low price rubber (cheap tyres are cheap for a reason in most cases) has let you down when you needed it most. Pirelli recommend a max pressure of 40 P.S.I. for these although I use 38 P.S.I. front and 36 P.S.I. rear for a bit of comfort. At these pressures I get 17,000km to 22,000 km per set depending on the quality of road surface. I haven't noticed any degrading in the handling as they get towards the end of their life. That's one of the things I like about them they have always maintained the same rate of feedback and performance from start to finish which means you actually get better value for your money than a cheaper tyre that drops off in performance as they wear and need replacing. cheers.
                              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-10-2012, 01:27 AM.
                              Shin-Ken 1074
                              1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                              1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Working...
                              X