No announcement yet.

best sports tyres for GS1000EN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of you "sportier" riders tried the Shinko 230 Tour Master?

I know several of us more-sedate riders are using them with no complaints, just wondering how they feel when pushed a little harder.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I know several of us more-sedate riders are using them with no complaints, just wondering how they feel when pushed a little harder.

I'm interested too, but I only wear out dirt tires anymore, none of the GSes even need tires. Bummer. Planning on trying them on the 550/650 clone if that ever happens.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The one on the back of this 1100EX that I have been riding around the past few weeks has one on it.
        No problems being sticky yet.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
          Yeah I agree with the general consensus here: Pirelli Sport Demon! I have them on my 1982 1100S and they are the best handling tyre I have experienced in the 26 years I have owned it! Hard sharp twisties, mountain roads, hills, flatlands, wet or dry roads (no snow for this black duck) they perform so well that you enjoy every ride no matter what the weather throws at you. Yes, they may wear a bit quicker than some of the other brands but it's cheaper to put very good tyres on a bike than repair a bike after a prang because the low price rubber (cheap tyres are cheap for a reason in most cases) has let you down when you needed it most. Pirelli recommend a max pressure of 40 P.S.I. for these although I use 38 P.S.I. front and 36 P.S.I. rear for a bit of comfort. At these pressures I get 17,000km to 22,000 km per set depending on the quality of road surface. I haven't noticed any degrading in the handling as they get towards the end of their life. That's one of the things I like about them they have always maintained the same rate of feedback and performance from start to finish which means you actually get better value for your money than a cheaper tyre that drops off in performance as they wear and need replacing. cheers.
          I love the consistent feedback from Sport Demons too. I only get 5000 kms out of a rear and around 7000 kms on each front. You must be riding good surfaced and straight roads to get 17000 - 22000 kms out of a set of SD's!!!!!
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Yes the Avons "check". I've had a few sets that have. They stayed on the bike and I rode the hell out of em. Never had a failure, never had one so much as even whimper, wet or dry. I think the checking issue is a non-factor to be honest. Should it happen? Likely not. Is it a true safety issue? I've logged roughly 40K on various sets, never had a problem with them. Not leaking, no structural failure, nothing.
            Yes they absolutely DO need to be run at higher pressures. If you run Road Riders or their venom X counterpart (only available in the front size anymore but the combo IMHO is better than the Roadriders on both front and rear, the venom bites a little harder which gives that "on rails" feel in long fast sweepers) at the factory suggested pressures they will not last. They'll check worse, they'll saw tooth, and they'll flat out the center. I'm not light by most measuring sticks; 6'4 down now to 245lbs but was up to 280 at one point!! And I ran one up at 38 front 40 rear. Two up or with luggage add two pounds each end.
            They are pointy as Brian said, which removes the slow tractor like feeling from the comparatively long wheel-base GS models (KZs had a bit shorter wheelbase, and while that made them feel more nimble, they could be a bit scary at speed and headshake was an issue when rolling on throttle out of the apex...this issue is still a Kawasaki trademark as evidenced by my ZRX) At speed however, the Avons pointy profile does not take away from the GSes nature to generally be rock stable at high speed runs. I've tested this thoroughly Pointy, aggressive steering tires (or I guess tyres since we are talking Avons here) can sometimes lead to skittish behavior in long corners, the bike not wanting to stay on the desired line...never have had such a problem out of these.

I've never tried the sport demons, as I felt I would go through way too many tires a season, and the added "sticky-ness" didn't outweigh the added hit to the wallet, as the Avons had never let me down in fair comparison at high lean. (Though, chuck sand or gravel under any tire and they're likely to squirm a bit )
            But I have tried BT45s. Didn't like em. Tried a couple of Cheng-Shin. Didn't like em. Dunlops, nope. I always came back to the Avons. My last GS I didn't keep long enough (either time I bought it...heh) to go through the Kenda Challengers it had on it. Those were the single scariest tire I'd ever ridden on. In the dry when pressed not even as hard as I would normally press a tire (and there are many guys on here who would press harder than I, I'm not saying I'm Joe Racer, but I like to push it when the mood's right) they felt greasy...in the wet? They felt downright dangerous. Definitely NOT confidence inspiring at all.

I damn near low-sided a GS1000G with those fitted to it, with Rose on the back. Bless her heart, she said afterwards she knew we were in trouble when the bars were pointed the opposite way we were going. But she never grabbed me up or freaked out. She said she just hunkered down behind me and tried to stay as centered on the bike as she could. She said she knew I'd either pull it out, or we'd try out the new gear we'd just picked up over the previous winter Man I got an awesome wife!! Hahaha! Somehow, through sheer muscle memory and instinct, I kept it up, stayed on the gas and worked the front wheel back on line, it was over before I could even process what happened. But I'll never put those tires on my bike, nor will I aid in spooning them onto anyone else's.
            They might be ok for a Sunday rider who putts around, but if you ever get frisky, there are a slew of other tires out there that are tens of hundreds of times better suited for the job that cost the same money or so. Kenda Challengers are probably worse than some of the mediocre tires that our bikes could be outfitted with when they rolled out of the showroom. And I mean that sincerely.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2012, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              I love the consistent feedback from Sport Demons too. I only get 5000 kms out of a rear and around 7000 kms on each front. You must be riding good surfaced and straight roads to get 17000 - 22000 kms out of a set of SD's!!!!!
              I must admit that since fitting a complete brand spanking new O.E.M. exhaust system that set me back $2,400 I don't push the bike as hard as I used to in the twisties for fear of trashing the pipes. It could be riding style as well because even when the sport exhaust system was fitted and the fun dial was in the red zone I could get 10,000 km out of a set of Demons.
              Shin-Ken 1074
              1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
              1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

I must admit that since fitting a complete brand spanking new O.E.M. exhaust system that set me back $2,400 I don't push the bike as hard as I used to in the twisties for fear of trashing the pipes.
                It could be riding style as well because even when the sport exhaust system was fitted and the fun dial was in the red zone I could get 10,000 km out of a set of Demons.
                OUCH! I bet she looks nice though.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Kenda Challengers are probably worse than some of the mediocre tires that our bikes could be outfitted with when they rolled out of the showroom. And I mean that sincerely.
                  I agree completely. I made the mistake of putting those crappy shoes on my 850. +1 on everything you said about them being dangerous. I was never so happy to buy new tires when those things wore out (which didn't take long). Currently I'm using Spitfire S11's and I like them much much better. Much more confidence inspiring and a lot longer life. I like them quite a bit.

Probably gonna try the Avon's though when it's time for a new pair of sporty shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    OUCH! I bet she looks nice though.

Daniel
                    Hi Daniel, yeah I think putting the new pipes on have improved the look, now has that classy finish with the O.E.M. black pipes, cheers.

Shin-Ken 1074
                    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Daniel

Comment

Hey Daniel, the GSR clock has the time at 03:34 and here you are surfing the Forum, the coffee must be pretty good at your place or you are a shift worker maybe, cheers.
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

I never sleep! LOL.l

Comment

Hi Daniel, yeah I think putting the new pipes on have improved the look, now has that classy finish with the O.E.M. black pipes, cheers.

Classic Katana! A stock Kat is more rare than a modded one. Way to keep it original and resist the temptation. I have other bikes for that. Again nice bike, love the exhaust too!
                            1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

I mounted a set of the Shinko 230 tires on my GS850G last fall in the name of Science.

Very few miles so far and only one very short, cold trip to the twisties, but early signs are promising.

More data as it becomes available...
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi viperg, thank you for the kind words about the Kat, nice avatar you have there, cheers.
                                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                                X