No announcement yet.

BUILDING AN I.C.B.M. KATANA 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! She is stretched out now! :shock: Almost makes the V&H look too short now

So you were having a little trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground eh Rob? :twisted:

How does it handle in the turns now that you stretched it a bit?

Oh, and I wanted to tell you that I like those mirrors way better than the tear drop shaped CF ones that you had on it before.
    Looking impressive as always 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
      Wow! She is stretched out now! :shock: Almost makes the V&H look too short now

So you were having a little trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground eh Rob? :twisted:

How does it handle in the turns now that you stretched it a bit?

Oh, and I wanted to tell you that I like those mirrors way better than the tear drop shaped CF ones that you had on it before.
      Looking impressive as always 8)
      Hoomie.....Handling is suffering now a bit but you always lose something to gain something.
      Clearance is a big issue. I cut my tire on the bolt that holds tail light on. I had to cut lots of inner fender away too and completely get rid of the license plate bracket. It is now bolted to the tail light bracket.
      Last edited by katman; 07-05-2006, 12:59 AM.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

I have backed down the extension to 4" over or about 63" wheel base. the stock wheel base is 59.8 but the gixxer forks shorten it a bit.

She is handling much better now and feels much more stable in the corners... With this bandit 1200 swing and the extensions I am running a 128 link chain.

EK has a new chain for busa's and zx12's. it is a zvx with 14500 tensil.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

That is good to hear. Yes everything is a trade off. But you have nothing if you can't use the engine due to excessive rise of the front end so you have done what had to be done. Still I gotta think the handling will be better than stock with all the suspension mods? And now straight line acceleration will allow you to turn the wick up the whole way :twisted:

It's raining hard again today and this is making me want to ride

Comment

Designs...

Eyeballing your machine intently......You know what would look way cool??? ... one of those inner fenders....from two inches below the swingarm extending to about one-Oclock as seen from the right side...same color as the front...silver/gray....I'll craft something on da computer wit da pictures.
            __________________________________________Rick.... .......

Comment

What does I.C.B.M stand for? Intercontinental Ballistic Missile?

Comment

YES......

and for the inner fender idea....... I REALLY like the open look without it. Makes her look much leaner and lighter. I am getting a smaller battery and relocating it along with the side panel electrics so you will be able to look strait through the bike like the yosh 1135 killer.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Inner fenders look great on stock wheelbased bikes but kinda looks cheesy on streatched out ones. Nice Kat
                  Luv that lock-up cover . . . would'nt mind sport'in one of those on my stock clutch bike

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                    OK,

Here is the final list of parts...for now....

36mm RS flatslides
                    pingel dual feed fuel valve
                    pod filters
                    web cams
                    port/polish
                    radius valve job
                    APE valve springs
                    oil dogs removed from rockers
                    falicon adjustable cam sprogs
                    shaved head
                    top end oiling kit with billit cam links
                    1166 10.25:1 Wiseco kit
                    manual cam chain adjuster
                    Earl's oil cooler, s/s lines and fittings everywhere
                    welded crank
                    welded heavy duty clutch basket
                    high volume oil pump gears
                    fast by gast clutch
                    barnet clutch springs
                    Alum quick access clutch cover
                    pmfr billit 5/8 outboard bearing support kit
                    Vance & Hines chrome header
                    s/s braided brake lines
                    ebc pro light 320 rotors
                    ebc billit caliper adapters
                    gsxr 4 pot brakes
                    usd 93 750 gixxer forks
                    93 gixxer 1100 blue wheels with polished lips
                    92 gixxer 750 clipons
                    2002 cbr 954 step down tripes with Vortex billit top triple
                    2004 sv1000 throttle/kill switch
                    EC red 530 chain
                    Vortex rear sprocket
                    braced/powder coated frame
                    powder coated motor
                    1150 oil filter cover
                    koni shocks (soon to be ohlins)
                    dyna S ignition/coils
                    dyna rev limiter
                    taylor wires
                    2002 bandit 1200 swingarm (not in pic)
                    93 gsxr armless rear brake caliper
                    anodized rear sprocket nuts
                    anodized preload adjusters
                    anodized bar ends
                    Mini Stalk LED signal lights
                    complete s/s allen head bolt kit for bike
                    red anodized billit alum oil catch can
                    I finally found this list in this awesome thread, why the 954 triples? Did you take a pic of the forks and triples assembled?

Comment

The triples are needed to increase fork length as you lose 3 inches of height from the stock setup. without the triples right handers can bottom you out and you can high center on your header and crash.

I don't have a pic of the forks and triples alone sorry.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

bandit swingarm

Katman
                        do you remember what the measurement was for the shock mounts on the bandit arm? how far back from the swingarm pivot are they? I am doing A similar build on A GS1100E I was originally going to Mod the Katana but decided against it for now. I have A gs1150 arm also do you think there is any advantage to one over the other?

Rich

Comment

Rich,

Forget the 1150 arm as it is narrower than the stock gs arm and won't fit a 5/5 wheel. The bandit arm is the way to go although you will have some rear brake plunger fabing.
                          the shock mounts go right on top of the seem for the axle supports.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration Katman, I'm well underway with my project and will be documenting as I go. Did you find that keeping documentation and uploading to GSrs kept you focused?

Comment

Dear Lord - this is *the* best looking (and from the build sheet) and best performing Katana I've seen. Pretty much defines the streetfighter term. Bravo, bravo.

Got any audio clips of it running?

Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2007, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the koodo's guys.... I really appreciate it....

I have started a kat website and I hope I can keep it up to date. I want to list mods and upgrades, tricks and tips, pics and vids. Thats a lot....

Anyway...

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X