Designing my own Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cberkeley
    Switches... not my choice here, I want a "fine tune" of the charge rate. Also, I wanted no moving parts.
    I generally design the old fashioned route: sleepless night looking at the ceiling with the idea running around in my head, basic schematic on a paper napkin during breakfast, then I do the rough math during lunch, then I breadboard the thing or parts thereof at about 2:00am when all are asleep, test in the lab and tweak component values, all too often letting out the magic blue smoke while yelling a few choice words of wisedom and starting all over again. I did at one time have a couple of simulation programmes Spice and Electronics Workbench, I like them and still use them sometimes.
    BTW the case temperatures are acceptable so far... 40*C over ambient (my ambient is now 29*C) that gives me an operating temp of 89*C Max allowable temp is 150*C ...I think we can get away with the case as is (without fins). Mounting to the frame of the bike will dissipate some addiitional heat too.
    I use Saber for simulation. It's a bit pricey, but does the trick. I haven't found any of the Spice simulators that do a good job with power electronics - especially non-linear magnetics and systems with digital closed loop feedback.

Arcs, sparks, and blue flame!

Comment

Here's the R/R all Packaged:

The screw (lower left) seals the adjustment port. LED flashes when sense wire is energised by turning-on ignition.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2006, 11:57 AM.

Comment

The screw is quick and simple, BUT it will let moisture seep in over time, no matter how tight you make it. I would find a rubber or plastic cap that is designed specifically for this sort of application and use that instead on the final product.

... of course, you could simply get a rubber washer to use with the screw, but the long term truth is that both the screw and/or the washer will eventually fall out and disappear, whereas a task-specific cap should be designed to stay with the housing, even when you have it opened...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
          The screw is quick and simple, BUT it will let moisture seep in over time, no matter how tight you make it. I would find a rubber or plastic cap that is designed specifically for this sort of application and use that instead on the final product.

... of course, you could simply get a rubber washer to use with the screw, but the long term truth is that both the screw and/or the washer will eventually fall out and disappear, whereas a task-specific cap should be designed to stay with the housing, even when you have it opened...

Regards,
          Good Point!......... duly noted.
          Thanks, Cletus

Comment

Good Idea....... Although there's room in the case, I was thinking in-line up under the seat somewhere. My problem with a fuseholder through the case is that it compromises the water-tight enclosure some, unless we go with one of those Marine types.
            a marine type fuse or push-to-reset breaker could be ok, or maybe put an auto-reset breaker inside the case.

Comment

The two bridges connected "just-right" more than do the job, no need for a third. About the schematic........ Not sure where I want to go with this (this is the problem we tech-types face all the time):
              a. Produce and offer it as an off-the-shelf aftermarket upgrade device.
              b. Produce and ship it by order, one-off, as a custom upgrade device.
              c. Sell plans for constructing it.
              d. Sell the design outright to someone interested in "running with the ball".
              In any event, this is not a get rich scheme. But, a lot of work went into the R/D on this gizmo and I would like to get something out of it above a "Super Custom Rectifier/Regulator" on my bike. At the same time, I want others to benefit from an improved R/R also.
              Ideas folks, ideas.......... I'm only an engineer not good as a businessman.
              I would think the shipping costs involved in getting them off the island on a piece by piece basis would be nasty.

It might be easier to sell the plans, but then people will "Share".

You could make a bunch up and maybe have a company like UPS store them and ship them out of a US warehouse for you, the only problem with that is you would want to make a bunch of them probably and that could get costly for you up front.

Comment

I would like to ask that you consider a kit. Maybe you could buy the components in bulk and sell the pre-assembled units along with some instructions. You don't need to give schemtics. It should be doable
                by someone with soldering experience and a multi-meter. You can
                make something on the price of the kits above what you payed for the
                components.

Comment

Looking good!

Tom
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

When my project manager asked me ablut why a circuit was designed the way it was, if I had replied with "The two bridges connected "just-right" more than do the job, no need for a third. I know what HE would have said. Could you please define "just right"

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw
                      When my project manager asked me ablut why a circuit was designed the way it was, if I had replied with "The two bridges connected "just-right" more than do the job, no need for a third. I know what HE would have said. Could you please define "just right"
                      I think that he already tried to explain it with
                      ...There are 3-phase diode packs available but the onesI've found are very expensive. So I plan on using two (actually connected one and one half) 4-diode Wheatstone bridges (way cheaper)....
                      It takes 6 diodes to configure three-phase full wave rectification. Cletus is using two units, each with 4 diodes configured like the resistors in a Wheatstone Bridge. So, by using all 4 diodes in one unit and 2 diodes in the other (hence "actually connected one and one half"), he achieved three-phase full wave rectification with the two diode units.

Comment

Reg/rec

My 85 Gs550l Has Been Burning Them Up
                        Finally Called Ricks Electric Were I've Been Getting Them From
                        They Sent Me A Heavy Duty Unit With Double Wires
                        I Themn Relocated It To The Front Of The Bike Mounted To The Crash Bars Which Are Mounted To The Frame
                        No Problems Since

I Would Like To See Your Final Design Though
                        How Much Do You Think It Would Cost To Make Each Unit

Comment

I've been reading about your project that you have been working on and
                          by all means you are very intelligent,but...is this product going to be better or just as good as a product that is OEM or after market.Also will you be able to incorporate this item to newer bikes or any type of application that has an R/R application.

Just Curious, new to the site and learning alot,Thanks

bmac

Comment

Originally posted by bmac
                            I've been reading about your project that you have been working on and
                            by all means you are very intelligent,but...is this product going to be better or just as good as a product that is OEM or after market.Also will you be able to incorporate this item to newer bikes or any type of application that has an R/R application.

Just Curious, new to the site and learning alot,Thanks

bmac
                            bmac,

Welcome to the site!! If you haven't already done the site tour you're going to find that the R/R system on our bikes has a history of being problematic (although I've been one of the lucky ones whose never had a problem). If you've followed this thread from the beginning you should already know that Cletus' project will far exceed an OEM unit in quality and reliability.

As for whether it is better than aftermarket, that will of course depend on what an aftermarket manufacturer does with the design and components. If they are merely duplicating an OEM design, then Cletus' product will be much better, but if they try to improve on the problematic OEM design then their product may be better, may be worse, may be just the same.

What I DO glean from his efforts, though, are that what he winds up with is not only going to be significantly better than stock, but also more flexible in its setup, since he's planning to allow for adjustable output voltage (which OEM and known aftermarket products don't). That'll be especially nice for those of us who have switched to glass mat batteries, which apparently benefit from a higher charging voltage than conventional batteries.

Hope this is helpful, and enjoy the site! By the way, I see you live in Lisle ... we have a pretty good Chicagoland GS contingent, so if you PM me your email address I'll get you on our local email list so you can join us for regional rides and "stay in the loop."

Regards,

Comment

well it's not a product yet. :-)

Skreemer and I are in Aurora. what do you ride?
                              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
                                I think that he already tried to explain it with

It takes 6 diodes to configure three-phase full wave rectification. Cletus is using two units, each with 4 diodes configured like the resistors in a Wheatstone Bridge. So, by using all 4 diodes in one unit and 2 diodes in the other (hence "actually connected one and one half"), he achieved three-phase full wave rectification with the two diode units.
                                Go to the top of the class!:-D
                                Yup, that's precisely how it's done. Actually it's a lot cheaper to do it that way than to buy a single 3-ph rectifier.

Comment

Working...
                                X