No announcement yet.

Designing my own Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's the concerning bit. How much per are your SCR's running? And your rectifiers?

And... I think I need to build something like this. And do some testing to see just by how much you're overspecing the parts. The way I ride will burn out components faster than anything. I'd like to try.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
      Now that's the concerning bit. How much per are your SCR's running? And your rectifiers?

And... I think I need to build something like this. And do some testing to see just by how much you're overspecing the parts. The way I ride will burn out components faster than anything. I'd like to try.
      SCR's are running US$22.00 Retail.
      Bridges are spec'd at 1000V 40A and the SCRs are 200V 35A Running Tempertaure is <1/2 any component's max rating even with my ambient temp in the 90's (I'm on a Tropical Island).

Comment

Hmm.. And what did that rectifier cost you? ARe you on AIM? Or yahoo instant messenger?

Comment

Good rectifiers are about US$6.00 a pop.
          I'm a Yahoo type, cberkeley@yahoo.com

Comment

Looks great, I like the screw to unit comparison, very thorough. Have you bike tested this unit.

bmac

Comment

Actually the screw is not for size comparison but it seals the potentiometer adjustment hole, thereby making the unit impervious to dirt and water. Yes, I have one on the bike and it's set for 14.5 Volts. I just ordered a Digital 5-function meter to mount on the bike so I can monitor the charge rate long term. http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...de=Electronics

Comment

I,m sorry about the screw, remember reading now about the purpose of
                the screw. Still....... a good comparison. Well you did a great job and
                I hope you can benefit from this concept and some how be able to put
                it into a aftermarket upgrade.

bmac

Comment

$15? :-) Where do I send the money.

Comment

Hey forget about the deadbeat thing, look at it being a smart business man, looking to benefit from applied priniple. Don't sell yourself short!!!!!

bmac

Comment

What would be the total component price aside from the $15 for the plans?

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley
                        WOW!.... The first order?
                        Make it the first TWO orders, Cletus! Greg (Nerobro) and I live nearby each other, so we can get together and pop out two of your handy-dandy gizmos in an "afternoon of fun" (once we get the parts all in one place)!

By the way, I love the stick on thermometer! Another great idea! I guess if the plastic thermometer melts away that's a pretty good sign somethings wrong?? :shock:;-)

Comment

Cletus, if you think about this from a product design standpoint, is there any way to get the size down? If you can make it fit into the size of a small Shindengen R/R, like our beloved SH-232 from the Honda CX500, CM400, etc, then I think that it'd be very much a viable product.

There aren't enough Suzuki GS's to really sell a lot of these, but if it's available for old Hondas and other bikes that use a similar three-phase stator setup, then there's much more of a market.

I might be able to squeeze one of these aluminum-boxed big guys under my battery box where the r/r fits on my bike, but many bikes leave much less space for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
                            Cletus, if you think about this from a product design standpoint, is there any way to get the size down? If you can make it fit into the size of a small Shindengen R/R, like our beloved SH-232 from the Honda CX500, CM400, etc, then I think that it'd be very much a viable product.

There aren't enough Suzuki GS's to really sell a lot of these, but if it's available for old Hondas and other bikes that use a similar three-phase stator setup, then there's much more of a market.

I might be able to squeeze one of these aluminum-boxed big guys under my battery box where the r/r fits on my bike, but many bikes leave much less space for it.
                            Pulling my hair out over it. But, the robust Bridges,SCRs and Capacitor which I use just use up so much space. I can eliminate the Capacitor from the design and make it an option which may be placed anywhere convenient and wired between ground and any switched positive. That would probably squeeze the thing into a 2"x4'x1.75" box. BTW The prototype has been on my bike about two weeks now and I'm quite happy with it - I have not shut down anywhere for lack of battery juice :-D . The original is shot!

Comment

There aren't enough Suzuki GS's to really sell a lot of these
                              But this is the #1 GS weakness, the Achilles' Heel, El Problemo Numero Uno, etc. As long as there are GSs on the planet with touchy RR units ready to pop a diode at the slightest whiff of static electricity from the vinyl on the seat, there will be a demand for a robust unit. Quote from Perth's premier motorcycle electrician: "If it wasn't for Suzuki we would have been out of business years ago!" And yes, he was talking about GS Suzukis .

I have to admit, though, that the size of the unit has crossed my mind more than once while reading these posts; the area where the RR usually sits (at least on my old Katana 1100) is pretty limited, being sandwiched between the fuse box and the rear subframe rail.

I suppose the unit could always be relocated under the seat somewhere, but that probably means putting it into an area with less cooling air flow. Ah, the pros and cons...

Keep at it, Cletus! -- and don't be afraid to make executive decisions!

Comment

The other possibility is that you build the circuits in two separate smaller boxes that can be packaged near each other, but with added flexibility due to smaller size of each box...

Just a thought...

Comment

Working...
                                X