No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 1983, I took my GS1100EX to a straight 9 mile road and wound it out to see the top end. By the time I got to third gear the speedo was pegged out at 85 MPH. I then took it to 5th gear and held on. The tach gradually went to 10000 rpm (red line is at 9000, I know, but Suzuki was conservative on its' redline and I was young and stupid) after about 5 miles. At that point, the scariest part was slowing down. The 1100 does not have the aerodynamics for that kind of speed and it was very twitchy.

I'm not sure what the top speed was (someone can calculate it) but I'm sure it was over 140 MPH.

Hap

Comment

I have taken my 1986 GS400S (Canada only that year) with 41,000 kms up to its 9500 RPM redline while lying on the tank. Speedo read 165 km/h (102 mi/h). I am fairly confident that that was a true speed because at 120 km/h my speedo is within 2% of a GPS unit mounted on the tank. I think that bike is fast enough for me, the world gets a little too blury for me around there, but I did touch 180 km/h on my fathers 1983 GS750E!

Martin

Comment

Once saw 115 mph on my 550's speedo,probably more like 105-110,T-bars,flat on the tank with the (badly balanced) front wheel vibrating away merrily!Took up two lanes of the motorway! 8O Never again!

Comment

Don't really know top speed on my 78 1000e. I looked down and saw about 125mph and still winding out then shut it down, so who knows, maybe 130?

Anyway this post is for my boy. @ 7yrs old he has his "Ton Card".
          Two weeks ago we were dropping into a valley with open fields on both sides (good animal vission) and we opened her up to 110mph.

He handles straight line speed MUCH better then twisties. I guess he hears and feels the revs and holds tight and still. In the curves he's always looking and moving around. Our running joke is...
          "Hey Tino, let me know when we're going to change lanes"

He's comfy on two wheels.

I've done 63mph on my bicycle. Thats 20mm tyres and me in my underwear 8O

Rico

Comment

63 on a bicycle is scary! It is SO EASY to go down. Just a little twitch and it's all over.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              63 on a bicycle is scary! It is SO EASY to go down. Just a little twitch and it's all over.
              Just asked LANCE
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I've had bicycles that start the wobbs around 50mph.
                But my latest frame (LeMond) 853 cromoly and dead straight showed little
                need to shake. I did find myself with my elbow against the toptube as a stearing dampner.

But going fast by yourself is alot harder then 40mph in a pack. I've been racing so many years I feel safe, no real time to think. When your by your self all you have is time to think.

Rico

Comment

iv hit 53mph on my specialized hit big on a single track. fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Rico
                    I've done 63mph on my bicycle. Thats 20mm tyres and me in my underwear 8O
                    Are you nuts!!? It must be the water.

Comment

my friend took my suzu out and rode it harder than I ever have, got it up to 110ish and said it probably had about 10-15 more... guess that's a bit slow by most standards here.. I think my speedo is FAIRLY acc, w/in maybe 5-7 at that speed..

Comment

Oddly enough 63mph is my highest speed on a bicycle too, going down the Kancamangus Hwy in NH, with a 5 mile downhill. On a K-mart special bike. I was around 14 at the time, and hadn't learned anything about fear yet. I needed to stop at the bottom of that run, and smoked the brakes pretty good.

Comment

How fast

I've past mountain bikers on my skateboard going down the Mt. Baker Highway. They were laughing at me as they passed as I was just carving turns standing up. So I laid down, they heard me coming and started frantically pedaling to no avail. I flew by, now I was laughing.

The fastest I gone a skateboard is 65 laying down, much safer than a bike.
                          Carter
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Carter you are a mad man. I've been down that stretch a handfull of times, NEVER on a skate board.

But it does go to show that speed is a very relitive thing. One mans comfort is fear for another. Case in point; I just don't feel good going fast on water. The stuff is all aroud me (port city) and I've been in boats my whole life BUT....................I'm never comfy @ speed.

40 and loving life
                            Rico

post; HEY MOPO, you could go fast on a bike if it wern't so damn windy there.A tail wind'll take you out of town never to return

Comment

outran a Harley in 4th, caught 5th passed a Honda w/836 kit, smooth bores, 4 into ones on the tank. Went into oscilations, almost a tank slapper. that was in 1978, don't go there anymore, unless I do what "Pops" Yoshomira used to and bridge the swing arm. I just ride and enjoy my classic.

How fast? Who cares, took a week to clean every thing up. Brown doesn't show on black too bad.

Comment

can you tell me more about bridging the swing arm like pops yosh. Can you just run a 1100 alum swing instead.

-ryan
                                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                                82 Kat 1000 Project
                                05 CRF450x
                                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                                X