No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The high speed wobble sounds like it was loose steering bearings to me.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I opened up the new to me 83 1100E the other day on route 89 heading towards Vermont. It took some time, but the speedo looked like it said 120-130. It was hard to get an exact reading because I couldn't look at the clocks for more than a fraction of a second. Fastest I've ever been on a bike. I didn't experience any wobble or unstability. Actually tracked quite nice, but I won't be doing that again (much).
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Used to pull redline in top gear on my 79 GS550E (rejetted, Yoshi Series 7 pipe) - probably about 117-118?
        Just a wee bit shaky up there, but it had a few crashes under it's belt, and a rock-hard Michelin M45 front tire...

Used to pull redline in top gear on my 80 GS750ET (rejetted, Kerker pipe, Marzocchi Strada shocks, stock fork springs with a BIG preload spacer, fork brace) pegged 85 speedo in 3rd, magazines said that was about 127-128.
        The bike just loved it, steady as a rock. I fondly remember blasting along the Columbia R. between Pateros and Wenatchee - 100-115 for dozens of miles. Good Times!

Did some luge-style skateboard runs with Carter T. 'back in the day'... 45-50 on the Crystal Mt. Parkway. Maybe a bit more on 'Bennett Hill' (NE 24th St.) in Blah-vue.

My stock 84 Kaw ZX900A Ninja will pull 130 indicated (-/+ 3%), sitting upright (I'm 6'-2"), with 2/3 throttle and leaky intake valves. Curious to see what she'll do with a fresh top-end, 972cc (ZX1000) pistons, and a Laser 4-2-1 pipe...

I'm currently building an 80 GS1100ET...1166cc, Web 168 cams w/ a bit of port work. She'll be wearing an 18in GSXR1100 rear rim.
        I REALLY can't wait to see what she's got...

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
          I`m alive because I quit. That top speed stuff is addictive as drugs.
          I hear you. Several years ago I couldn't live with out getting a good top end run on my slightly modded FZ750 in at least once a week, I live in the boonies so we can get away with that. A year ago I borrowed a buddies FZ1000 for a weekend trip and once again I got to play throttle jockey. Had up to red line in top gear a few times. That FZ runs pretty strong, I figure they go about 160 maybe 165. Anyway looks like my withdrawal program of not doing that for a while worked because now I'm quite content with the 130MPH (on good day) my GS1000 will do. And I kicked the habit without counseling too. Hooray!
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I have been up to 125 on my 80 1100E and just as I thought I was a Bad A@# my brother passed me on his 83 1100E.

Comment

I love this thread, it's almost as old as the bible now, and has about as many words and more revelations, but anyway, I digress.

Last time (over a year ago, from memory) I replied to this post I had just seen 120 Mph in third gear at about 11000 RPM with an engine full of trick Yoshimura stuff, but I've just done an "el-cheapo" (read: no money spent on wasteful things like new rings or gaskets, just a good hone and careful re-assembly) top end rebuild on a spare engine while I do a proper restoration on my original, but tired engine.

Anyway, as I had nothing much to worry about, I took it for a wang, and saw 220 Kph at about 10,000 RPM. (that's 137.5 Mph according to my calculator) For a dead stock 1980 GS1000E engine, I was pretty impressed. Not very responsible, but good scary fun, ha ha! :twisted:

Comment

i can go roughly 220mph on my 1982 GS 650

Comment

Originally posted by X gs X
                  Finally! Somebody doesn't hold back and tells the truth!
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                    Originally posted by X gs X
                    Finally! Somebody doesn't hold back and tells the truth!
                    no doubt. Thats a pretty conservative estimation too... did I mention one of the cylinders has a hole in it?

Comment

Something must be wrong with my '81 GS1100EX. I've had it at 10,000 RPM (1000 past stock redline) in 5th gear but the speedometer said it would only go 85 MPH...

Hap

Comment

I have not seen him posting for quite a while, but the highest GS speed I can recall was by one our Members hitting 174MPH on an 86 GS1150.

Not too much question about it, since it was on police radar.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                          I have not seen him posting for quite a while, but the highest GS speed I can recall was by one our Members hitting 174MPH on an 86 GS1150.

Not too much question about it, since it was on police radar.
                          I was once pulled over by a friend who was a cop. I was running over a hundred when he caught me. When he came up to me, he told me the speed and I laughed. He asked why and I said he should have seen how fast I was going before I saw him and got on the brakes. We both laughed and he said he would do a better job of hiding in the future. He still wrote the ticket though, but for 75 in a 65 because he had called in that he was pulling someone over.

Anyway, I actually have no idea how fast my 83 GS750ES will go. Never tested it.

Comment

Uhhh, level ground, no wind, in perfect tune and having a light lunch, about 120-125 mph depending on how big you are. :-) :-) Or, to be more precise, faster than you want to fall off. heh heh heh

Earl

Originally posted by jtcrespo

Anyway, I actually have no idea how fast my 83 GS750ES will go. Never tested it.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                              Uhhh, level ground, no wind, in perfect tune and having a light lunch, about 120-125 mph depending on how big you are. :-) :-) Or, to be more precise, faster than you want to fall off. heh heh heh

Earl

Earl, that was mean of you. Think of the effect of those words. Don't you know there will be wives/girlfriends seeing this?

More ammunition to use against the freedom-loving rider. :twisted: :twisted:

Of course, there may be some sensible ones among them :roll: :roll: :roll:
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                                Depending on mods, right?

I have a good set of air paddles and I can kick my feet pretty well.
                                Does an aero-helmet and a hump on my jacket count as mods too?

Comment

Working...
                                X