Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS550 doesn't want to do much more then 80MPH

Comment

dpep commented on my top-end estimate by saying that an 850 can only do about 95 MPH, tops. I read a Cycle magazine article in 1982 that said the calculated top end (i.e., red-line in fifth gear) was 147 MPH for the 850GL. The write up in Cycle was one of the main reasons I bought my first GS850GLZ in 1982. It was that article that led to my guess that 7000 RPM in fifth gear was about 140. The 850GL I have now can easily peg the speedometer with plenty of throttle and RPM left. It's hard to believe that there's only another 10 MPH left. Granted, the speedometer is less than exact, but I just can't believe that 95 MPH is the top end. It sure feels faster than that. Of course, like many of the folks who contribute to this forum, I don't plan to take it to the limit again. I still can't believe I went that fast back in 1982. It was a nice day on a long, smooth straight road. You know how that goes...

Comment

I've recently gotten my GS400E up to 100MPH but she's blowing a ton of smoke now. I'm taking her off the road at the end of the month or when the engine blows, which ever comes first. I'll be moving to Quebec and insuring the 1100 as this will save me 800 bucks a year on insurance. The 400 is going into longterm storage as it needs a new exhaust, a top end rebuild, and a paint job.

Steve

Comment

I have had my 81 gs1100e up to 220km/hr and had a little left. I am scared to try it again though as I am getting bad speed wobbles. I replaced the front tire and this has helped as I can now feel the wobble coming on slowly and have a chance to put my ass back into the passenger seat. (which seems to correct the wobble somewhat) With a passenger it is fine though. Head bearing is good, forks etc. (back tire somewhat worn, and rear shocks are shot I think as they show signs of leaking) I just installed some stock carbs because with my old ones no matter what I did to them I could not get the front wheel off of the ground. Have yet to take it out but it does run in the garage alot smoother and the throttle response is way better.

Comment

Originally posted by greghope
            I have had my 81 gs1100e up to 220km/hr and had a little left. I am scared to try it again though as I am getting bad speed wobbles. I replaced the front tire and this has helped as I can now feel the wobble coming on slowly and have a chance to put my ass back into the passenger seat. (which seems to correct the wobble somewhat) With a passenger it is fine though. Head bearing is good, forks etc. (back tire somewhat worn, and rear shocks are shot I think as they show signs of leaking) I just installed some stock carbs because with my old ones no matter what I did to them I could not get the front wheel off of the ground. Have yet to take it out but it does run in the garage alot smoother and the throttle response is way better.
            Sounds like your rear tire is out of round. I think that the problem will go away when you put a new tire on the back
            Chuck

Comment

The guy I bought my bike from said he had it up to 140 mph. 8O I have NO intention of going anywhere near that fast. Half that speed is about my limit

Comment

My 77 GS550 cruises effortlessly at 100...

kph that is

Redline in 6th works out to about 105 mph though I've never tried to go that fast on it.

Debby
                1979 GS1000N
                2019 Kaw Z900RS
                plus a few more

Comment

I get real sceptical when I hear speeds over about 135mph on 20+ year old unfaired bikes with the aerodynamic coefficient of a brick. Lets not forget that full factory Superbike GSXR750's were just touching 160 at Daytona back in the late 80's. And that is with bodywork designed with wind tunnel input. Above about 135, aerodynamics really comes into play and increases in power are not proportunal to increases in speed. I like to be optimistic too, but reality tends to overcome wishful thinking. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

85 1150E......an honest 140-145 anytime and it doesnt waste any time getting there either. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
                    Above about 135, aerodynamics really comes into play and increases in power are not proportunal to increases in speed. I like to be optimistic too, but reality tends to overcome wishful thinking. Ride On, Ed.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

With Skip on my 1150, it did 147mph with the nitrous in the Quarter mile. Just goes to show that with enough horsepower anything is possible. Someday, when I lose 100lbs or so, I hope to see that trap speed in the 1/4.

Comment

I believe an 1150 is good for 135-140- nitrous is a little over the top and more the exception than the rule-didn't say it was impossible- just highly unlikely. What I doubt is the talk of an 850 or 1000 with a pipe and a jet kit doing 145 with no streamlining at all. Also indicated speed vs actual ground speed can be very different. Horsepower alone will only overcome drag to a point. Look at the Reno unlimited air racers- 475-500 mph is about max regardless of power due to the huge increase in parasite drag as speed increases. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
                          I get real sceptical when I hear speeds over about 135mph on 20+ year old unfaired bikes with the aerodynamic coefficient of a brick.
                          The guy that owned the bike before me was the orignal owner and he did it after the break in period. I know the guy well enough to know he wasn't lying. It's possible that there is an error in the speed-o, but I'm sure he was going like a bat out of he**.

Comment

124mph. GS550ES on stock pipes, well.......stock everything back then. New and improved hopefully coming soon.

Manish

Comment

There are tons of old, unfaired bikes that will go over 140 easily, maybe not totally stock, but not radically modified. Yamaha XS 1100, Honda CBX, Kawi 900/1000, Suzuki GS 1000/1100/1150. Just to name a few. The difference between "how fast" and "how quick" seperates the big dogs from the puppies...In ones opinion...I'm more of a how quick guy, then you can be a how fast guy automatically!

We used to race against a guy on a turbo busa, he was quick(faster than us), he went on to set a land speed record with that busa and made it on to the Discovery Channel..John Noonan!

So he was fast & quick or quick & fast???
                              EULC ON

Comment

Let ya know if I ever get my speedo cable fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X