How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS 750, 220 km/hr when new.
    Same bike last summer pegged the needle (240 km/hr)with 1105cc 83 1100 engine,mild head porting pipe and K&N filter.
    GSXR suspension/wheels and taller than stock gearing.

Comment

Well, my 1100G only had the 85mph speedo. But based on the speed in 5th gear at 4500RPM and multiplying it by 2 (yes MySuzyQ that will get you a pretty close number to your true speed at redline) I had her up to 130 before i backed off. Only did it once, just to see what she'd do. But the feedback at the bars at that speed let you know that you were damn close to the physical limit of the bike pretty clearly. And chopping the throttle at that speed isnt a good idea either. The instant shift in weight might provide you with a instant introduction the Maker of your choice.

Comment

110mph on the highway according to my buddies gixxer 600, and that's with it buring oil like a mother. My friend on his ninja 250 was holding 95mph, but said he couldn't breath with the oil cloud coming out of my exhaust. lol

Comment

speedo is 30% incorrect a 650 going 140 is crap.

I'd bet 100 real M.P.H.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

[quote=paintmann111;959533] My friend on his ninja 250 was holding 95mph, /quote]

bonneville speed record on a ninja 250 is 110 - that is a $12,000 stock appearing speed demon.

once again I say get a stopwatch and mile markers to get a better idea of how fast you are really going.

M/C speedos are BIG FAT LIARS

Comment

Two years ago my son clocked 110 on his 83 550 es. he said he still had a little left but chickened out.
              V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

fast gs

[quote=trippivot;959583]
                Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
                My friend on his ninja 250 was holding 95mph, /quote]

bonneville speed record on a ninja 250 is 110 - that is a $12,000 stock appearing speed demon.

once again I say get a stopwatch and mile markers to get a better idea of how fast you are really going.

M/C speedos are BIG FAT LIARS
                But bonneville also takes anywhere from 15% to 25% more h.p. depending on the condition of the salt to get the same speeds as you would on a hard solid surface. Bonneville can be best described as triding on surf packed beach sand. Take the same cycle and put it on a solid concrete straightaway and you will see a LOT better numbers. Also gearing, gearing and gearing make a difference. I've seen a 100mph on a stock yamaha 400 twin once i changed the rear sprocket to a 30 instead of 36. I've had my stock 78 1000 up to 130 mph verifeied by gps, not stock speedo
                Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM. Reason: wrong again

Comment

I was tempted so I piped up . GPS verification cool tool 'eh? refresh rate quick enough for a really really fast bike?? say 2 ton?
                  Keep it like they say......... ton up or go home!!
                  W.O.T. spirit! I ve been to the edge of my envelope. I'm sure you have too but my ninja 500 couldn't get 115 and when I hear 250cc numbers that boggle my bean. I'm-a gonna-say-a-summthin.

besides as a young man I worked for Verlin Ellard at Wolverine machine in S.L.C. I've been on the salt. so please allow me just a little latitude.

now for the 3 mile a minute club is there one here? I have never asked.

Comment

how fast

being from canada its in kilometers my 78 gs 1000 tops out at 245 and the 1150 is at 250 with a bit more to go . the 1000 has a bunch of yoshi parts and the 1150 is stock.

Comment

Originally posted by toolman View Post
                      being from canada its in kilometers my 78 gs 1000 tops out at 245 and the 1150 is at 250 with a bit more to go . the 1000 has a bunch of yoshi parts and the 1150 is stock.
                      Nice. My 78 Gs1000 does 200km/h. DJ stage 3 and old yosh pipe.

Comment

GS 850; just got 121mph on the GPS. It still felt like it had a bit to go but there was some oncoming traffic and i was worried about cops with radars. The speed limit here is 100 kph (60 mph)

Comment

Top speed GS

I have been to bonneville, twice. Watched a local that i know very well run his twin engine vincent powered streamliner. His name is Max Lambky and he currently owns the vintage streamliner call record. I think 256mph. Also another that i know Jim Higgins runs a turbo Buell. I think last run was 201 mph on a no fairing turbo s-2. Salt and concrete are 2 different things. i ran a 2004 r-1 that will gps on concrete easily at 160 mph only do 139 mph at bonneville due to tire spin, my lack of nerves and ill handling.

Comment

95 is easily attainable on a ninja 250, so long as you have the gearing. He has his sprockets for top end, not acceleration anyways. go over to the ninja250 forum and read some of the mph #'s verified by gps. People have broken 100 with some of them.

Comment

When I first moved to this area there was a new highway under
                              construction. They had started at the ends and worked to the middle so it was a road to nowhere. I used to take my Kz 750 down the road while laying on the tank and could get her up to 127 mph.
                              On my 83 gs1100 I,ve only been to 90 or so trying to keep up with my 73 year old riding buddy. I have had her up to 65 in first gear. and i have noticed there is a differance betwen the speedo and my gps.

Comment

Fast enough for me to break the speed limit.

Comment

Working...
                                X