No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been quite awhile since I have run my old 79 GS550 up at it's limits but 127mph was about it, repeatedly each lap back when I raced it on longer tracks. I saw a bit more than that in a draft once or twice.
    I used to get nervous when it was up there with the revs sitting up over 11k.

I do not think my 83 GS550ES was that fast, but it was stock.

Comment

after taking the 750t out for the 3rd time yesterday i hit 103 and was scared sh*&^ess and backed off

2 weekends ago i borrowed my cousins r1 to go for a "quick" ride an hit 162 then relized i like riding too much to not be able to do it anymore lol i think im done going fast on 2 wheels for a long time
      both were according to my gps =D gotta love that little guy

Comment

With carbs running like crap and import camshafts (-15hp) I got mine up to about 110mph before it started spitting and loosing power.

Comment

I had mine up to 85 a couple times.....well that is were the speedo stop.
          sigpic

1979 GS1000E
          1982 GS1100GL
          2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

I did 129 on a old 850 GSL once, not the smartest thing, with a Vette on my back bumper checking speed..

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
              now for the 3 mile a minute club is there one here? I have never asked.
              I went 197 on radar on a GSXR I built for a customer. It was on all 3 radar guns that said 197! So, I guess I am in the 3 mile a minute club! Ray.

Comment

as it's geared right now 132MPH and it's very happy at that speed
                i have done 190MPh on a tweaked ZX 11

Comment

I backed off my 08 FZ1 at 159 at about 10,000....lets just say I ran out of balls long before it did.

Comment

Not real fast.

Sunday morning about 5:00 mid May 1981 woke up in Tijuana Mexico and realized I needed to be back at work Monday at 7:30... I arrived late but only about 30 minutes. About 1400 mostly I-5 miles, according to the trip planner and two hours were spent riding the ferry to the Island.
                    Rough calculations show about 56 miles per hour riding speed, so my GS1100E was not as fast as I had thought.
                    It sure felt quicker than that...

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                      I backed off my 08 FZ1 at 159 at about 10,000....lets just say I ran out of balls long before it did.
                      Nice...I go about 165-170 about every 4 minutes here. Man I miss the crack, I mean track. Is it April yet?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                        Nice...I go about 165-170 about every 4 minutes here. Man I miss the crack, I mean track. Is it April yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sqgs4zyiZY
                        Nice track, looks like fun
                        What speed were you hitting on the straights?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                          Nice track, looks like fun
                          What speed were you hitting on the straights?
                          Not me in that vid but it's one of the best vids out there for the Miller full track configuration. On my GSXR you can hit redline in 6th on the 2/3 mile main straight before the brake marker for turn 1 which translates to about 165-170 mph.

Comment

Gs1000

It will only go 80MPH thats as high as the speedo go's.
                            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                            Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

I had mine up to 100 mph in 3rd gear with the new engine

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                                I had mine up to 100 mph in 3rd gear with the new engine
                                More fun that that 750 huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X