How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 83 850 does 190.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
      my 83 850 does 190.
      Pull my other leg and it plays jingle bells.
      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
        my 83 850 does 190.
        Originally posted by trevor View Post
        Too funny Trevor.

In England they say, "Pull the other one!"

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I remember being into speed back when I was 20 years old, 10 feet tall, and bulletproof

The biggest thing holding back these bikes is aerodynamics -

I discovered that my '81 GPz550, stock but for a KERKER pipe, with the mirrors off, and my then 20-year-old frame tucked down would pull 125 mph any day of the week, which was the same as my '83 KZ750L3, which had more HP -

The cycle mags managed to get 139 mph out of an '83 GS1100E in the half mile at sea-level, in 1983, but when I was checking out my Dynojet jetting it took a lot longer than that for mine to approach the redline, but it did it eventually, and I suspect that if there would have been a little headwind it wouldn't have gotten there at all.

I'm not into ultimate top-speed anymore, but I still think it'd be cool to borrow a ZX14R for an hour

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Hey, that's 118 in mph !

Comment

My 83(?) Ninja 900 ( Top Gun movie bike).. worked... did 140 mph with... umm.. someone on the back.
              I sold it 12 hours later.
              Scared the SHnitt outta me... not in a fun way. 10 years later, I still -cringe- when I think about it.
              1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
              1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
              1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
              Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Not so interested in top speed any longer. I've had several bikes above 140, and the tweaked FZ1 I had some years back saw mid 150's many times, but now, I want acceleration, both from a stop and roll-on and good flexibility on the road.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Not so interested in top speed any longer. I've had several bikes above 140, and the tweaked FZ1 I had some years back saw mid 150's many times, but now, I want acceleration, both from a stop and roll-on and good flexibility on the road.
                  Likewise. I stopped caring about being to go way up in the triple digits a long time ago. Now, all I want is to get to the speed limit...but I want to get there so fast I can barely keep the front down.

Comment

^^^Whoa!

I did that once (that I remember) on my GSX-R750Y but sadly, I have no proof like you do.

My current Suzi has not come off the ground...still needs much work to do that but it's not my goal.

Nice pic, btw....are you painting your own designs on the fairings?

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-18-2014, 05:42 PM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                      Likewise. I stopped caring about being to go way up in the triple digits a long time ago. Now, all I want is to get to the speed limit...but I want to get there so fast I can barely keep the front down.

Guardian angel eh? coolness.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It's actually a dragon. A Christmas present from my kids (wife lol).

Comment

It's actually a dragon. A Christmas present from my kids (wife lol).
                          Funny, for about 4 years I had a Big Bird ring on my cycle mirror stem that my son took from a birthday cupcake and gave me before a cycle trip. It recently broke
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Ahhh... yes, and thats why my previous ride was a 2006 XR650R with street tags.
                            it topped out at uh... ummm....
                            but wheelies at will at 75 mph all day long.
                            on the parkway.. next to trooper..
                            hence my username.
                            1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                            1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                            1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                            Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

i see the lucky bell!

Comment

My 82 GS1100L only clocked to 85 on a short straight from my rev counter I reckon 115/120mph. My friend has a Yamaha R something, can't remember, not 1, heading south for Belfast cops "caught" him at 167mph, not on a Subaru or Mitsubishi but a Volkswagen R32 john said if he'd known they were behind him he'd have opened her up. Another friend heading north from Dublin, still south on has V8 Lexus at 181mph, guards couldn't catch him, helicopter couldn't catch him so they put some cones out an directed him to a roundabout.
                                Last edited by Chromedome; 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM. Reason: n

Comment

Working...
                                X