No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm kind of glad the speedo on my '82 1100e only goes up to 85. I'm sure I've had her up to 105-110mph, but at least I'm not trying to see how far I can get the needle, like I used to do on my Kaw Z1.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
      Top speed of an '82 1100 was 141 mph. That's with a 150 lb Japanese test rider on it, at sea level. Top speed in 4th at redline is 120 mph
      Yes, about right. I tapped my 82 1100EZ out to 300 rpm past redline, and we figured that at about 141-143 mph. Now I never, ever see 80, cruise at 65, tops. I don't care anymore, I just want decent acceleration and passing power.

Comment

Top speed of an '82 1100 was 141 mph. That's with a 150 lb Japanese test rider on it, at sea level. Top speed in 4th at redline is 120 mph
        That's why I wish 5th was an OD.

Comment

i pegged it

My Speedo went up to 135.

Comment

80-82 on all US models the speedo max was 85mph...was the law.
            if yours was higher then it had 83 gauges on it or it had a new face sticker installed.

Comment

Only 85 on my speedo. That's called 3rd gear.

Comment

I had and 81

My First Suzuki, I bought in the showroom, in Japan, from a mister Kawasaki. It was a 1981 GS 750 L TSCC 16 Valve Rocket...The Speedo went to 135 and I did reach that a couple of times. Oh the memories....I still love that bike. BTW I paid exactly $1,636.00 out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
                  Only 85 on my speedo. That's called 3rd gear.
                  My speedo only goes to 85 too. Factory bike specs say she'll go 137. Not sure I'm ready to verify that, and even if I were, not sure how....

Comment

The where, why and when is left up to the rider. Be safe. But for HOW to test an actual top speed, you can get reasonably close using a free Android app called GPS Speedometer. I stick my Nexus in the map pocket of the tank bag and get a nice head of steam on to check speedometer accuracy, on a big oval track or some smooth saltflats I might be convinced to check top end.

But the way I look at it, over 85 is a reckless driving charge no matter what. So how much faster than that you're going is just a degree of technicality.

Comment

1977 Suzuki GS 750 is all I can afford actually got it for chopping down a tree. Its old and ugly also rusty. Stock bought new point leaned my carbs 110 to 115 anytime I want. Does not want to run much faster it does still have a tad more throttle left but does not increase the speed when you try to use it . Took about 2 miles to check this out for myself. The bike gets light feeling when you lean hard in curves above 100 mph. Other wise the bike is pretty stable. I had it up to 119 but there was a lot of trees on both sides of the road so air friction was way down. I figure these things will run about 125 stock I ran out of road given enough roadway and the lack of winds like on a open highway in stock CONFIGURATION. I am keeping mine I might make it faster an more prettier one day. Good luck to you ole G'SR'S. BLESS YOU ALL.

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
                        My speedo only goes to 85 too. Factory bike specs say she'll go 137. Not sure I'm ready to verify that, and even if I were, not sure how....
                        Couldn't you calibrate the tach?

I've avoided doing that on my '82 1100e because I'm trying to set a personal record for keeping my license. It's been two years and I'm getting close.
                        Last edited by Rob S.; 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
                          GPS Essentials app for android will tell you your speed, as will many other apps. To get it more accurate for the moment, edit the options so that it checks position with the satellites much more frequently. Lower intervals save phone battery power but give you less than instantaneous speed feedback.

Waze is the other app I have, like gas buddy for gasoline prices, users report speedtraps, accidents, etc and it is a full service map/navigation app.
                          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by shawn10168 View Post
                            1977 Suzuki GS 750 is all I can afford actually got it for chopping down a tree.
                            I've got a chain saw. Know where I can pick up a few bikes?

Comment

My old gs750 (78) I ended up losing my liecence on got clocked doing 230 kph (143mph) in a 50kph (30mph) zone (just got off highway after giving a Kawasaki Z1300 the rear end view) bike was pretty stock apart from chain and sprockets.
                              (I really miss that bike) started my love of GS's

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                                Waze is the other app I have, like gas buddy for gasoline prices, users report speedtraps, accidents, etc and it is a full service map/navigation app.
                                Waze has quickly become my go-to app for travel of any sort. The real time traffic speed data is priceless for getting where you need to go on time, my only problem is finding a decent way to operate the tablet while on the bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X