How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    Fast enough to get me a 100mph state felony speeding ticket in NM....and not I have though been a couple times I should've of lol
    '
    Ummm, yeah. About that triple digit/felony thing; doh!

We did some good speeds going to Gila.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      In 1984 at Sparta on my 1983 gs750e I did a 11.83 at 126mph. Bike was stock except for a 4-1 yoshi that I dropped the collector off at where 4 goes into 1. I weighed about 130lbs soaking wet. Beat the magazine time if I remember correctly.
      That is big speed, Trevor.
      My Kat had a Yosh, smoothbores and mild head cleanup from Fast by Gast. Best time was an 11.04, never got into the tens.
      haha...130 pounds? Last time i weighed that i was 12.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        That is big speed, Trevor.
        My Kat had a Yosh, smoothbores and mild head cleanup from Fast by Gast. Best time was an 11.04, never got into the tens.
        haha...130 pounds? Last time i weighed that i was 12.
        I was the smallest boy in my high school of 1200. But I was fast! 😊😜
        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Sparta or Cayuga?
          I spent a lot of time at Cayuga in '86? with an '83 Katana.
          Cayuga... I went there when the IDBA had a race there. It was around 86-88... I remember having Pea meal for breakfast. I thought it was some kind of oatmeal made out of peas.... You ever heard of Pea Meal?
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

My gs is capable of ludicrous speed lol
            sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
            1994 gsxr1100w
            1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Cayuga... I went there when the IDBA had a race there. It was around 86-88... I remember having Pea meal for breakfast. I thought it was some kind of oatmeal made out of peas.... You ever heard of Pea Meal?
              Probably '88. I remember being at a bike only weekend and there was a lot Americans racing.
              Terry Kizer and the white, turbo GSX1100 from Orient Express was the headliner.

Pea meal bacon is a common breakfast meat up here.
              Sort of a cured ham, sliced and cooked like bacon Years ago it had a coating made out of ground peas but it is now a corn meal coating.
              Tastes better than it sounds.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

My 80 GS850G will do 85mph...then I'm out of speedo....so 85!{grin} That's what I plan on having to ever tell a police officer if need be- "{officer}Do you know how fast you were going?...{reply}...Yes sir, 85, cause that's all my speedometer says she'll do".{someone will be laughing after that...probably not him}

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                  My 80 GS850G will do 85mph...then I'm out of speedo....so 85!{grin} That's what I plan on having to ever tell a police officer if need be- "{officer}Do you know how fast you were going?...{reply}...Yes sir, 85, cause that's all my speedometer says she'll do".{someone will be laughing after that...probably not him}
                  I got pulled over a year ago doing 90+mph. I showed the officer that the highest printed number on my speedo was 80, and he said, "Alright, I'll write you up for that." True story.

Now I'm a little worried, because I've switched to the '83 gauges which indicate 140 mph.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    I got pulled over a year ago doing 90+mph. I showed the officer that the highest printed number on my speedo was 80, and he said, "Alright, I'll write you up for that." True story.

Now I'm a little worried, because I've switched to the '83 gauges which indicate 140 mph.
                    A) you have a half notch past 80, so she'll show 85.....
                    B) that was a nice guy for doing that...20 over is bad enough, cost wise...
                    C) "140mph speedo" - now your gonna be in trouble...me too soon{chuckle}

Comment

LOL. Hold on. So my 1982 GS850g that has a speedo that only goes to 85 can go faster? I was under the impression that it had a governor preventing that to happen.

Comment

It's called your right wrist.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          It's called your right wrist.
                          Unfortunately for many of us the right wrist is not connected to the governor in our brain.
                          Last edited by Sandy; 05-21-2023, 11:25 AM.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            Unfortunately for many of us the right wrist is not connected to the governor in our brain.
                            A)...an 850G ain't lite...over-all weight/tune is a possible factor.
                            B)...guys have two brains, as I recall....lol....neither are always that rational.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                              Too right. Thankfully, I survived the worst of that issue. I was far worse with the Turbo and the FZ1.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Got mine up to around 110 before with a little more left, on the old tire, havent tried with new tire

Comment

Working...
                                X