Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was looking for a winter project.........I found this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What IS it with all the discarded airbox lids?

Did any of these things make it out of the '80s with their airbox lids? I can't recall ever seeing one.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Did any of these things make it out of the '80s with their airbox lids? I can't recall ever seeing one.
      All the 4-into-1 pipes came with instructions to "Remove the airbox lid. No carb modifications needed."

And yes, I have seen one. Actually, it was a photograph of one. But it was very graphic.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Dang it, where did them lids go??? I know there were several of them laying around here!!! ...Oh yeah, that was 40 yrs ago.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Guess I got lucky, as both my 78 GS1000 and 81 GS1100 have them. Maybe I'll have to swap a lid to which bike I'm going to ride that day!

Wait, this bike is going to have an aftermarket exhaust, I'd just have to throw it away if it had one!

Like Meatloaf said, "Two outa three ain't bad!"
          Ron
          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
          1982 GS1100E
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Santa showed up early at my house. Brought me this fine Delkevic exhaust system. ( Still don't understand why he was wearing a UPS uniform???)

I will have to say that this system looks to be of very high quality. Can't wait to hear it!
            Last edited by 1978GS750E; 12-01-2022, 02:53 PM.
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1982 GS1100E
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
              Santa showed up early at my house. Brought me this fine Delkevic exhaust system. ( Still don't understand why he was wearing a UPS uniform???)

I will have to say that this system looks to be of very high quality. Can't wait to hear it!
              Is it as gold as it appears in the pic? Is it my eyes?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

No, its a shiny silver stainless steel!

Might be the light in the room, your monitor, or it could be your eyes!
                Ron
                1982 GS1100E
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Good looking pipe Ron. You'll have to do a video of it's sound when you get it running. I've heard they are quite loud. Badass would be a better term.
                  Anxiously waiting to see and maybe ride this beast.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                    Good looking pipe Ron. You'll have to do a video of it's sound when you get it running. I've heard they are quite loud. Badass would be a better term.
                    Anxiously waiting to see and maybe ride this beast.
                    You mean you like it better than the pipe that came off of it?

Special 3 piece Vance & Hines Exhaust: At least the baffle was intact, about the only thing on it that wasn't rusted through!

Ron
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Making some progress on it!

I'm refurbing parts as I remove them. Already have the tank derusted and the headlight, side covers, rear cowl section, taillight, turn signals, air filter housing and a few brackets ready to go back on when the time comes.

This is how it looks today:

Ron
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post

You mean you like it better than the pipe that came off of it?

Special 3 piece Vance & Hines Exhaust: At least the baffle was intact, about the only thing on it that wasn't rusted through!

3 pieces? My V&H "Street Megaphone" is 2 pieces, as is my V&H "SS" (canister style).

How I hate baffles, when they're too baffling, or have too much fibreglass.

Comment

3 pieces? My V&H "Street Megaphone" is 2 pieces, as is my V&H "SS" (canister style).

That's why this one is a "Special" exhaust! Leave yours in a barn for 18 years and I'll bet it becomes a 3 piece exhaust!
                          Ron
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

That Vance and Hines could be wrapped and you could get someone to give you something for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                              That Vance and Hines could be wrapped and you could get someone to give you something for it.
                              Yeah, just wrap it!

Better do a lot of welding beforehand!

Make me an offer if you think it can be saved!
                              Ron
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I guess they are worse than they look in the pictures. I've seen guys sand blast the chrome and rust off, and wrap pipes, fix the collectors, and make some decent pipes. Junk is junk. The Delkovic is an incredible exhaust. You'll really like it a lot. The quality of the Stainless Steel is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X