No announcement yet.

Re-Instatement of 83 GSX750 EZ from a 7/11 to a 750 & creating a new 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I stripped all the flakey paint off and gave it a quick spray with some black paint and started the re-assembley. I had another set of forks laying around so they have gone in. and the 1100 engine has gone in
    20230318-143313.jpg
    Attached Files
    80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

Comment

The swingarm has been stripped back to bare metal and was next to go back on

20230312-153125.jpg
      80 GSX1100 ET
      82 GSX750 EZ
      84 GSX1150 ES
      86 GSX750 ES
      10 GSXR1000

Comment

From this point it was fairly quick putting it all back together as I already had the plastics and tank painted. The seat was in 1 piece with no rips in the cover and the metal tray in reasonable condition. I think I have a spare set in the roof space so I will dig that out

condition. 20230701-145758.jpg
        80 GSX1100 ET
        82 GSX750 EZ
        84 GSX1150 ES
        86 GSX750 ES
        10 GSXR1000

Comment

So Tank, Plastics, Seat and exhaust all went on without too much bother

20230326-174949.jpg
          80 GSX1100 ET
          82 GSX750 EZ
          84 GSX1150 ES
          86 GSX750 ES
          10 GSXR1000

Comment

And here it is with the replacement seat

20230408-164421.jpg

Now I need to sort out all the niggles with carbs and electrics.
            80 GSX1100 ET
            82 GSX750 EZ
            84 GSX1150 ES
            86 GSX750 ES
            10 GSXR1000

Comment

You running a luncheonette?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Luncheonette ?? I have no idea what you mean.
                So i had 2 sets of carbs to choose from. The first set ran great at idle and low throttle but ran out of puff at higher throttle. The other set were the exact opposite. I checked main jets and set 1 had 105 while set 2 had 130. Rather than just swap them i took the 105s out and installed a spare set of 120s. Took it out for a decent ride and it was good at all throttle openings. A win but of course the fuel line stated leaking a little then so i replaced that.

Electrically i had issues with brake light , indicators and warning panel. The brake light issue turned out to be simple after spending a few hours testing every connection. There is a fuse in the headlight wiring that looked fine but when i actually tested its resistance i found it was open circuit. A trip to the auto parts store for a new fuse and success was sweet.
                The indicators was just connnections which needed cleaning but i would get them working and then when i bundled the cabling back into the headlight housing it wouldnt work. Got there in the end though.
                The rear brake caliper developed a leak so i swapped that out but then the rear master cylinder warning light stayed on. I put more fluid in and it went out for a couple of days and then came on again. I monitored the floor under the bike for 2 days and not a drop to be seen. I thought the cylinder was full but i sueezed in a few more drops and the light went out and stayed out.
                80 GSX1100 ET
                82 GSX750 EZ
                84 GSX1150 ES
                86 GSX750 ES
                10 GSXR1000

Comment

Looking good... and I can't unsee that 1100ef gas tank on the shelf....
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Its been quiet for a few weeks but i have just got it road legal and registered again.
                    it had a few niggles that failed the WOF. Some i should have picked up and others took a bit of investigation. The PO had installed the front trye the wrong way round and i didnt even notice the directional arrow was going backwards.
                    it developed a High beam failure on the day of the test. I checked bulbs and switches but it turned out to be the wire right where it attaches into the lamp holder. The PVC outer had split and then sat back normally. Unfortunately there was a 0.1mm gap between conductor and terminal. Easy enough to fix once i found the problem.
                    i also put a new front trye on.
                    i have also sold some of the spares that came with it for $600 so looking better financially too.

I am going to ride it for a bit and then sell it to give me a bit more room in the garage.

Time to get back into the 750 side of this project.
                    80 GSX1100 ET
                    82 GSX750 EZ
                    84 GSX1150 ES
                    86 GSX750 ES
                    10 GSXR1000

Comment

It has been quiet for a few months now due to my having a collision on my bicycle with a car backing a trailer out onto the road in front of me. I was in hospital for 7 weeks with broken pelvis and shoulders. Been home for 6 weeks now but wont be lifting any spanners for a while yet.
                      1 update is that I sold the blue 1100 rather than the black one i have just finished as a good offer came in.
                      The 750 engine is still siting on my workbench taunting me every time i look at it. Maybe in a couple of months i will get back into it.
                      80 GSX1100 ET
                      82 GSX750 EZ
                      84 GSX1150 ES
                      86 GSX750 ES
                      10 GSXR1000

Comment

Sorry about your accident, I guess motorcycles really are safer.
                        1986 1150EF
                        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

So i have enough strenth back to do some easy work so i have been decarbonising the cylinder head, pistons and top of cylinder bore. It was prety thick in places which would probably explain why i only had 65 PSI when i first tried to run it last September. Obviously it wouldn't fire with that compression so i removed cylinder head and all the valves & springs. I started the process in september but with my bicycle crash it has remained part done on my workbench until now. I have only done a valve luff as i just want to get it running before spending serious money on head work.
                          i also re-read my post and realised i had not answered a couple of questions.
                          93Bandit. The previous owner swapped the 1100 engine into this 750 frame because this bike had no engine and the other 1100 he bought had a bent frame so couldnt be used. A swap seemed the obvious solution and he didn't hang onto the bike long enough to worry about registration issues. He never even had it on the road.
                          RobS. I finally clicked about the Luncheonette comment. 2 bikes with the Lunch Box headlight.

I should have cylinder head back together next week so then its just a matter of reassembly (He says hopefully)
                          80 GSX1100 ET
                          82 GSX750 EZ
                          84 GSX1150 ES
                          86 GSX750 ES
                          10 GSXR1000

Comment

Good to see the 1100E's but sorry to hear about your accident.
                            I hope you get fully mended and strong again soon. Nice Jobs.

Comment

So i installed the valves back in the head and mounted the head back on the cylinder block.Cam shafts went in and as i was about to start installing the cam shaft clamps i realised i had 1 broken bolt in the head. It was on outer edge so i covered the internals and drilled it out. The easyout went straight in and i pulled the broken bolt out. I couldnt believe it had gone so smothly.
                              the Camshafts went back in and i installed all the cam shaft clamps and tightened the bolts. Torquing up the 2nd to last one on inner 4 bolt clamp and snap. Another broken bolt. I tried drilling a hole in this bolt but couldnt quite get my drill vertical to access it.
                              option 1 - Pull everything apart, take the head off and drill it out on the bench
                              option 2 - just leave 3 bolts on that clamp
                              I went for option 2 as i dont even know if the engine will fire up yet with enough compression.
                              I should get exhaust on this weekend so i can crank it over and see if i have enough compression.
                              i really should have tapped all the threads while i had head on the bench as exhaust bolt holes are not good and i will probably have issues there as well.
                              I will take head back off after compression test and Tap all bolt threads.
                              80 GSX1100 ET
                              82 GSX750 EZ
                              84 GSX1150 ES
                              86 GSX750 ES
                              10 GSXR1000

Comment

So i finally got around to doing compresion test. 70 -75 all round so thats not good. I have pulled the head and block off and will do some measuring to see which direction i head. There is nothing obvious like broken rings to explain the lack of compression.
                                Any suggestions on likely issues?
                                80 GSX1100 ET
                                82 GSX750 EZ
                                84 GSX1150 ES
                                86 GSX750 ES
                                10 GSXR1000

Comment

Working...
                                X