No announcement yet.

1981 GSX1100 Katana Based Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weather here has been total errr, rain, since last weekend and forecast is for rain everyday for the next week! No test riding and all quite here for another week at least.
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Coming back to the DW versus Curb weight quoted by Suzuki, I believe all Japanese manufacturers in the 80's quoted the DW without any liquid on board i.e; not only fuel but also oil and coolant if any.
      This explains the difference between the two measures.
      A marketing gimmick as when KTM annouces ready to ride weights with very little fuel in the tank...
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
        Coming back to the DW versus Curb weight quoted by Suzuki, I believe all Japanese manufacturers in the 80's quoted the DW without any liquid on board i.e; not only fuel but also oil and coolant if any.
        This explains the difference between the two measures.
        A marketing gimmick as when KTM annouces ready to ride weights with very little fuel in the tank...
        Yeah, the factory stated weights can seem a bit rubbery at times.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Time to choose an oil cooler from the spares pile.

Oil cooler 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

The lightest cooler from the pile is a transmission oil cooler so that will be the 1st cab off the rank. Temp gauge will show how effective it is.

Oil cooler 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Making the lower bracket for the oil cooler from some scrap ally square section.

Oil cooler 3 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 4 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

After the lower bracket is installed and the cooler fitted I'll be able to work out the top bracket.
          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-29-2024, 09:56 AM.
          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Drilling and filing, filing, and more filing......................

Oil cooler 5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 7 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 9 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 10 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The cooler needed some work with a flaring tool to sort out the hardlines, good to go now. Cooler position doesn't foul on brake lines, speedo cable or steering lock to lock. So far so good.

Oil cooler 8 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 11 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

I wanted a decent sized gap between the cooler and frame to allow unrestricted air flow. The OEM cooler bracket is more of a plate than a bracket and its positioned very close to the cooler with not much of a gap to bleed away heat so the OEM bracket is out and in with the DIY aluminium bracket.
              Oil cooler 13 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Cooler sits neatly within the body panels and in the air-stream between the forks.
              Oil cooler 12 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 04-01-2024, 03:56 AM.
              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Cool cooler bracket
                GS1000G '81

Comment

The plan is later today to drop the engine oil and install the hardware for the oil cooler including the all important EF oil filter cover used when running an oil cooler. Haven't weighed the cooler parts yet, adding weight is no fun!

Oil cooler 14 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 15 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                  Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Remind us please what engine you're running. 1074 is in your name, but for some reason I thought you were working with an 1135 (which came with a cooler so naturally also the proper oil filter cover).

I'm sure I wouldn't be so confused if you weren't living in that 'other' hemisphere. Is it true your toilets flush backwards?
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The build has the 1135 EF engine installed. I removed the oil cooler to record engine oil temps while test riding and although the oil temps without the cooler are below the range Suzuki state for operation of an air-cooled GS I am fitting a cooler to check the temp difference.
                      Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

I'm sure I wouldn't be so confused if you weren't living in that 'other' hemisphere. Is it true your toilets flush backwards?

Yeah, nar, ours flush the correct way, it's the shonky Northern systems that are suss.
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

So didn't your engine already have the correct filter cover?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            So didn't your engine already have the correct filter cover?
                            Yep, it did. In the test riding phase I wanted to monitor engine oil temps without the oil cooler fitted to check the temp range so a stock GSX non cooler type oil filter cover was installed during the current test riding. Ditching the oil cooler saves weight and that is the goal of the project. The engine oil temp in riding conditions without a cooler at is time of year is below the max engine oil temp as stated by Suzuki for a GS air-cooled engine so it doesn't need the cooler right now. However, Summer riding here will be much hotter and high humidity so Iam fitting a cooler to test by how much the cooler reduces the engine oil temp.
                            Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 04-06-2024, 08:53 PM.
                            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Installed the cooler today, adding weight is not my idea of a good thing but for testing it has to be done. The total weight of cooler and hardware came in at 864 grams so the running tally needs an adjustment. I will off-set the weight of any additional parts that are bolted on by reducing the fuel load. One litre of fuel = 767 grams. Once I find out how thirsty the DW is I can work out how much fuel I can off-load. Aiming for a ride weight of 198 kg for the Kat.

Oil cooler 16 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 17 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Running tally = 182,441 grams.
                              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 04-07-2024, 02:18 AM.
                              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post
                                Cool cooler bracket
                                Thanks Lorenzo, yeah, it turned out pretty good.
                                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                                X