Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making good progress keep it up

Comment

I can't stop sitting on the bike, I love it... ordered a clutch lever today.

Comment

any thoughts on the smallest/cheap batteries to run to save weight and space?

Comment

I'm watching this build for sure. I like it even more than your hardtail one, and since I'm about to start on my own 450L, and doing any mods to a bike for the first time, this is a great way to learn, thanks for the photo worklog!!

--sarge

Comment

project

I did a search at the local battery places. The battery in my gs bobber is about 3" x 5" dry cell. It has the same amps as a wet cell . I don't wanna go thru the headache of pulling the cover or i could tell you which one i used. all mine runs are the headlight, taillight and electric starter. I also have kick start, but don't use it unless i'm showing off

Comment

did some cutting, surprised at how much weight came off. still not finished but its a start, going to smooth it down tomorrow. only rough cuts today

Comment

got a clutch lever. sorry about the pics, but its dark out
                spring back

Comment

been doing minor stuff to this lately, cleaned up the wiring harness. I haven't really had time for this one since my harley is almost finished though, probably finish it in the end of summer. just thought I'd give an update

Comment

hey man nice idea on cutting the triple tree. I was debating if i should do the same but a little afraid on the go ahead.

Comment

how it sits now, I have to test the electrical, rebuild the front brake, throttle and clutch cable, chain, lights, finish shaving the trees, seal the tank, jet the carbs.

Comment

I thought this was going to be a dual sport bike? I must have missed a bunch going from page 4 to 1 and skipping the middle. It sure looks cafe to me.

If you take that one on rough roads it's going to teach you a lesson by physically pounding your chest and a$$ to the point you'll be crying.

Anyway, it looks good as far as cafe goes.

I have some time now so I think I should elaborate.

Rough roads tend to kick the tail end up. If you're sitting, your butt will go up enen further. That means you're going to land on either a hard, low seat, or the tail piece. personally, I'd take the hard, low seat any day but you won't have a choice. You should have a high, comfy seat, especially with the pitiful travel these bikes have at the rear. Your butt is going to be pounded and kicked into the air frequently.

The bars should be high for rough roads. The lower they are the more weight you'll have you your upper torso, not on your legs as it should be. This means bumps will transfer the shock to your arms which in turn will pound your chest into the tank. Keep your face away from those forks protruding from the triples also. That would hurt real bad.

I was hoping to see an attempt at a dual sport. This isn't anywhere near what I'd call dual sport. Sorry for the criticism, but I know what rough roads at speed can do to a bike and rider. This will kill you - at best just maim.

Of course, none of this matters if you don't ride rough roads. A smooth gravel one is easy to ride with any bike - including Harleys.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

to hell with the dual sport idea anyway... this version looks way to cool to change now. loving yer style there fella, looks to be a goodun once done

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                            I thought this was going to be a dual sport bike? I must have missed a bunch going from page 4 to 1 and skipping the middle. It sure looks cafe to me.

If you take that one on rough roads it's going to teach you a lesson by physically pounding your chest and a$$ to the point you'll be crying.

Anyway, it looks good as far as cafe goes.

I have some time now so I think I should elaborate.

Rough roads tend to kick the tail end up. If you're sitting, your butt will go up enen further. That means you're going to land on either a hard, low seat, or the tail piece. personally, I'd take the hard, low seat any day but you won't have a choice. You should have a high, comfy seat, especially with the pitiful travel these bikes have at the rear. Your butt is going to be pounded and kicked into the air frequently.

The bars should be high for rough roads. The lower they are the more weight you'll have you your upper torso, not on your legs as it should be. This means bumps will transfer the shock to your arms which in turn will pound your chest into the tank. Keep your face away from those forks protruding from the triples also. That would hurt real bad.

I was hoping to see an attempt at a dual sport. This isn't anywhere near what I'd call dual sport. Sorry for the criticism, but I know what rough roads at speed can do to a bike and rider. This will kill you - at best just maim.

Of course, none of this matters if you don't ride rough roads. A smooth gravel one is easy to ride with any bike - including Harleys.
                            sorry, I got a dual sport and changed the direction of the bike. should have mentioned that

Comment

I dig both your bikes alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Richharr View Post
                                sorry, I got a dual sport and changed the direction of the bike. should have mentioned that
                                No problem. I was merely trying to give you a heads up if you tried to run that one fast on some rough roads.

Did I mention it looks good as a cafe'? It does.

Comment

Working...
                                X