No announcement yet.

some kinda project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was working on one of my non-suzuki bikes so when I was done I figured I'd add some work to this project. I got rid of the gear indicator and all of the associated wires. Also tried to spin the starter just to check and got nothing, no noise or movement. I remember it moving at some point, so tomorrow I guess I have to take it out and bench test it. I just put a positive to the wire coming from the cover and a ground to the engine and got nothing. one more hurdle.

also made this

Comment

1 step forward, 1 back

well, as in my other thread, I mentioned I finished the wiring for this bike too, super simple, easy to work on and diagnose, easy to take out roadside.

however.... the engine has been sitting a year now and the starter will not turn it. it isn't seized from a riding issue (no oil running, blow piston) it turned over when I started the project, now I guess from sitting there may be a metal on metal seizure. any thoughts? it was freezing when I tried.

also, I made a simple seat mount. and found some things to use on the build.

Comment

been a while since I updated this, the bike looks the same still. I did get the front brakes setup so it has front and rear brakes that are ready for the road. going to make the mounts for the reg/rec, starter relay and battery. may take a bit of work since I want to run it under the swingarm and I also want it nice and tucked. I ordered a new clutch cable too since I used it when my other bikes broke.

- order chain
        - throttle
        - mount electrical and run the loom
        - bolt is missing that threads into the steerer tube (if anyone has a spare, pm me)

- jet carbs
        - tank mount
        - petcock
        - re-mount rear brake stay to make room under the swingarm

Comment

progress is slow cause the shed gets cold

enough of that now pics.

carbs are in, ignitor and reg/rec mounted under the seat, they're in this pic
          Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2010, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Comment

two questions:
              1) are those the stock shocks on the cafe?
              2) wheres the front m/c on the bobber?

Comment

Originally posted by 504-Ranger View Post
                two questions:
                1) are those the stock shocks on the cafe?
                2) wheres the front m/c on the bobber?
                stock, yes sir.

good eye, I took it off for the cafe bike, I'm setting up a 21" rim with a small drum for it.

Comment

hey im really interested in how you built that wiring harness for the 450. could you shoot me some ideas or a diagram or something?

Comment

Originally posted by adam89 View Post
                    hey im really interested in how you built that wiring harness for the 450. could you shoot me some ideas or a diagram or something?
                    I made a schematic to scan while i was making it and lost it.

but all I did was trace every wire from every thing I needed and kept it, did the opposite with the tihings I didnt need

battery
                    fuse
                    starter relay
                    stator
                    ignitor
                    coils
                    reg/rec
                    one wire for the headlights and taillights, 3 if you want a brake light.

tips to make it happen

use a 3way or 2way toggle switch for the headlight, I like to keep mine off when I start it up and have a hi-beam so I used a 3way or no switch and always on low beam. I mount the switch on the light by drilling a hole on it, see my chopper build for a few pics

momentary switch for the starter button and 2 way for the ignition or a keyed 2 post. I like to mount everything close together to minimize wire length for ease of trouble shooting, routing and disassembly. male/female spade connecters work for making a harness easy to break down for those spots where a ground must be screwed down.

I made a small block off plate for the gear shift sensor, thats like 6 wires going all around the bike, blinkers are a lot but may be necessary by you. make all the wires ~2" longer than needed just in case. I switched to a weather proof spade type automotive fuse holder since I have found it harder to come by and there is one that lights up when it blows which is easy to check roadside in the dark. I think it was $3. heat shrink is cheap, use it.

I'll be working on the wiring of the bike until its simple and bulletproof. I may start experimenting with coil upgrades if anyone has any ideas.

Comment

decided to do some work to this bike. made a bracket for the reg/rec and ignitor, I wanted them underneath the bike. trying to get everything low and out of sight. cut off some stuff and moved the drum brake stay on the swing arm back a few inches to make room for the battery underneath the swing arm. moved the wires on the stator to the bottom of the case to easily route them to the new spot.

Comment

at the end of the day I had a 2lb. bag of metal, nuts and bolts for the trash bin.

Comment

here is the new on/off and starter location. cant see it when its on the side stand and easy enough to reach

Comment

Shaved the fork legs, painted them along with the front rim and brake disc. finished shaving the top tree and started on the bottom one. all the wiring is done and in riding form except for lights. Starter cranks but no spark so I may need to deal with the ignitor.

here is the current to-do list.
                            -shave all cut-off tabs from rear triangle.
                            -add rear shock brace from side to side.
                            -finish tank and mount it.
                            -new carb boots and jets
                            -new throttle and cable
                            -oil and filter

Comment

ignitor is bad, need a new one, sucks, looks like the build will pass the $100 dollar mark soon.

shortend rear brake stay

Comment

Looking great!

Love the under swingarm location. I have thought long and hard about that space. Glad to see you've made some use of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X