No announcement yet.

Spent some time in the "man-cave" - From Wreck to Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your bike looks like she is coming back together nicely! I'm glad you are doing well and look forward to seeing more pics as you finish up and take her out for for the first time.

Comment

Hi,

I ordered front brake pistons and all exhaust gaskets from CyclePartsNation.com. First time I've tried them. Good price for parts but over $20 for shipping. They are scheduled to be here on March 9th. Big bummer.

I'll be working on everything else while I wait for brakes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

A spot of welding

Hi,

You may remember when Ed (Mr. Nessism) came over to help me straighten the two upper spars of my frame...

In the process I had broken that cross member between the two spars. On Sunday after church Ms. SqDancerLynn1 came over with her welder...

After it cooled I hit it with a can of black spray paint....

The fender did get a little toasty but now you can hardly notice it from a galloping horse, and that's the kind I ride.

My thanks to Ms. SqDancerLynn1. We'll be riding together again soon.

If you'd like to check out all of the pictures of this resurrection, hit the links below.

The Accident
        Frame Straightening
        Reassembly

BassCliff

Comment

Mr. BassCliff, I've been wanting to see those pics but was afraid to ask. (never know about pisd) But from what I've heard and seeing the pics your injuries are minor compared to what I thought they were. (I'm sure they are not minor to you )

I'm so very glad you have healed up enough to start back to working on the bike and doing other stuff. I'm sure the bass playing enjoys the "new pinky" ??

Looks like you and Jessie is on a very good mend.

Comment

Hi Sam,

Yeah, I made out OK. Just one shattered kneecap and one broken pinkie. I was wearing all my gear at the time.

I hope I didn't spoil anyone's lunch. You all said you like pictures.

BassCliff

Comment

How about xray pics prior to surgery of your knee .

I just came back from a crash on the interstate. (yes i'm working today)
              Lady in van, on the side and slid approx. 200' might lose her arm. I still say BassCliff is very lucky. Send pics to the company that made your gear. Who knows they might send you new????

Comment

New intake boots and O-rings

Hello friends,

Well, while waiting for new brake pistons I decided to go ahead and repair the air intake system on Jessie. I took lots of pictures and will be writing up a pictorial guide. I was surprised that this procedure is not difficult at all and anyone who has not replaced their carb boots in the last 25 years or so should not hesitate. Let me hit the highlights of my time in the "man cave" this evening...

We start by removing the airbox. Take breather hose off. Loosen up the clamps on the airbox boots and the two bolts that hold the top of the airbox.

After everything is loose it practically falls out. Take it out from the right side of the bike being careful not to jerk any wires or break the snorkel on the back.

I'm glad I got new "airbox to carb" boots...

Then you loosen up the clamp on the intake boots...

And the carbs separate very nicely...

Then you fiddle with the throttle cable and choke cable to take them off. Don't forget to reconnect them before you put the carbs back in the new boots.

Then you get out your trusty impact driver and wail away at the lousy phillips head bolts...

I thought the lower bolts on #2 and #3 were going to be really tough because there's not much room to work in there. But if you just tap the boots around "lefty-loosey" then the bolt will loosen up enough for you to get it out. Whew!

This was the bad boot. Some hack stuck an odd screw in there and stripped the threads enough that I wasn't ever able to sync the #4 cylinder.

And here's the fresh batch of parts, all the boots, new clamps, fasteners and O-rings from Robert Barr, etc.

Thanks for the note Mr. Barr. That's 10 pictures. I'll put up a few more in the next post to show you how it all turned out.

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Here's the airbox with new boots...

Here I'm putting on the new intake boots with Robert Barr's new fasteners. Very nice fasteners...

Don't forget to reattach the throttle and choke cables before you fit the carbs. The carbs practically jump into those nice, fresh boots...

And here they are with the cables attached, clamps tightened, all the hoses and wires tucked out of the way, ready to accept the airbox.

Here's the airbox going in...

Fitting the airbox took some wiggling and giggling, and a little help from my friend...

And now all the clamps are tight, airbox sealed, hoses in place, etc...

Now I've got to move the petcock and fuel gauge send unit over to the new tank. Then I can try out my Morgan Carb Tune. By then the brake pistons should be here.

Since I've got space left in this post, here's a couple of gratuitous shots of the new tail section with my old, freshly straightened, luggage rack...

And the freshly painted fender...

It was a manly time in the garage I had, yes sir. Thanks for looking. I'll keep you informed of further progress. My brake pistons are due here on March 11th according to the UPS tracking data. Then it's brake bleeding time!

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2010, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I forgot to mention, as long as I had the carbs off I checked the float height too....

I set them just as close to 22.4mm as I could get. A couple were a little low.

BassCliff

Comment

Nice.

You always take such great pics and they speak a thousand words so that was just about a magazine right there.

Glad to see all the progress. Have a great day.
                      David
                      1998 Suzuki Bandit
                      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                      1978 GS1000 - gone
                      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I see what you mean about Jessie having a "small" leak from the cam chain adjuster. I'm going to replace the o-ring for the oil pressure switch while i'm at it. Thanks for the link.
                        1979 GS850G
                        2004 SV650N track bike
                        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

WOW very nice work there BassCliff!!

I hope you are adding these to your website as well.

Time comes for me to do those things I know where to look for help.

Comment

As usual Cliff spot on work and flawless execution.
                            Great pics!
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cliff,
                              Excellent guide! I am sure its going to be referred to by many.
                              Glad to see Jessie is nearly back on the road!

Comment

Cliff,

I just noticed that your "L" exhaust does not have the center opened up like my 1100 has. I wonder if anyone has a stock 850L or 650L to compare the megaphone differences.

Comment

Working...
                                X