Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
    Cliff,

I just noticed that your "L" exhaust does not have the center opened up like my 1100 has. I wonder if anyone has a stock 850L or 650L to compare the megaphone differences.
    Hmmm, I hadn't noticed. Should I drill it out? Is this necessary? Is this a popular mod?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I hope these are the last parts I need!

Hi,

I got home from work and found these. Yay!

Two new piston sets and assorted exhaust gaskets...

And a tinted Slipstreamer Spitfire S-06 deflector sized windshield...

Unfortunately, I've two computers in my home office to fix before I can play in the man cave.

One computer gets a BSOD and the other won't boot at all. I'd better get crackin'.

BassCliff

Comment

More Christmas Presents for Jessie!

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

Unfortunately, I've two computers in my home office to fix before I can play in the man cave.

One computer gets a BSOD and the other won't boot at all. I'd better get crackin'.

BassCliff
          Have you tried yelling or hitting them. That usually seems to do the trick

There's nothing like coming home to a brown box full of motorcycle parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
            Have you tried yelling or hitting them. That usually seems to do the trick
            One of my favorite techniques is called "impact maintenance".

There's nothing like coming home to a brown box full of motorcycle parts.

BassCliff

Comment

Hmmm, I hadn't noticed. Should I drill it out? Is this necessary? Is this a popular mod?

BassCliff
              I'm going to be out of town tonight, but tomorrow I will get a picture of up my factory setup with the open center... I know Roadrash's is the same and his for sure hasn't been touched.

I'm wondering if your pipes are from a 650???

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                I'm going to be out of town tonight, but tomorrow I will get a picture of up my factory setup with the open center... I know Roadrash's is the same and his for sure hasn't been touched.

I'm wondering if your pipes are from a 650???
                Hi,

I asked over in the Tech Section and got a few pictures. All the others have the open center. I was told these pipes were from a 1980 850GL. They fit perfectly. Maybe I'll get out to the garage tonight and read the info stamped on them. I forgot to do that last night.

BassCliff

Comment

Brake update

Hello friends,

I was able to put my front brake system back together this weekend. Rebuilt calipers, new pistons, new banjo bolts, new crush washers, and new Goodridge braided steel lines. I got them bled pretty well and the lever feels pretty good.

I'm going to see if I can get the brakes a little tighter. Then I'll install the petcock and fuel gauge on the new tank, sync the carbs, finish up any last minute details, and I should be riding to work on Monday morning.

It was really fiddly trying to get the pistons back inside the calipers with the new rubber. I ended up using a couple of plastic-coated paper clips. One to hold up the inside edge of the dust cover, bent over the top of the caliper, and the other I used to lift the cover up around the piston. The first one took almost an hour. The next one took 5 minutes.

BassCliff

Comment

What no pics of ingenious paperclip use? :d
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      What no pics of ingenious paperclip use? :d
                      I knew I'd get called on that.

BassCliff

Comment

brake lever

Cliff,

I know you probably know this but I have had success getting the brakes a little tighter by wrapping up the brake lever over night with a bungee or just some paper and then tape over the paper. Helps to get the air out.

David
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

It was really fiddly trying to get the pistons back inside the calipers with the new rubber. I ended up using a couple of plastic-coated paper clips. One to hold up the inside edge of the dust cover, bent over the top of the caliper, and the other I used to lift the cover up around the piston. The first one took almost an hour. The next one took 5 minutes.
                          Next time try holding the piston on top of the boot opening and blow some compressed air into the brake line port. the boot will open up and you can push the piston into the "enlarged" boot opening.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            Next time try holding the piston on top of the boot opening and blow some compressed air into the brake line port. the boot will open up and you can push the piston into the "enlarged" boot opening.
                            Thanks Dale,

Yes, I'd thought of that. Unfortunately, an air compressor for the garage is still on my "to do" list of tools to acquire. I used the air compressor in the garage at work to blow out the old pistons. But I don't like bothering my friends there with personal stuff, too much anyway. They don't mind but I don't want to wear out my welcome.

The paper clip trick worked really well once I figured out the proper procedure. I just had to be careful not to poke a hole or cut the rubber. Two small plastic-coated paper clips worked well. Sometimes you just have to use what you got.

And thank you too Dave. I did use the old "bungee on the lever" trick and it did help a lot.

BassCliff

Comment

Now put that paper clip back on your stator papers

Comment

Cliff, what's stamped on the mufflers? I'm curious to find out what they belong to and why they don't have open centers.

Comment

Working...
                                X