My GS750 Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank mounts?

Absolutely amazing bike! Very clean and well done all around!

Do you have any pictures of the tank mounts? I'm curious how you go that look with the "L" frame.

Comment

Originally posted by kparrott View Post
      Absolutely amazing bike! Very clean and well done all around!

Do you have any pictures of the tank mounts? I'm curious how you go that look with the "L" frame.
      The mounts weren't that hard. The E tank uses the posts and rubber donut things in the front. The place where they SHOULD go on the E frame is in the same spot on the L frame. There are two holes already drilled in the plates. I cut the old posts for the L tank mounts and welded them to the correct location for the E tank. If you take your tank off, you will see what i mean. They are all the way forward, of by the neck.

The rear mount was harder. By using the forward tank mount posts, the rear L mount was way too short. by a couple inches at least. I had to fabricate a bracket out of flat stock. I do have a pic of that mount. I had to send it to my seat maker guy so he could work around it.

I would say he did a nice job. Rich's custom seats in Kingston WA is pricey (600 for mine), but he does very nice work. This one has a gel pad in it, and is very nice leather.

Comment

Originally posted by coastiepete View Post
        Sure, lol. Trying to get it over to backfire moto this month. i took it the Isle of vashon run. did you go?
        I went to Backfire Moto in Ballard that was in September. Were you there? I didn't see your bike though... I was the guy with the blue SV650 if you were there.

It's interesting what you did with the tank. Mounting an "E" tank onto an "L" frame. I see the holes that you are talking about...

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
          I went to Backfire Moto in Ballard that was in September. Were you there? I didn't see your bike though... I was the guy with the blue SV650 if you were there.

It's interesting what you did with the tank. Mounting an "E" tank onto an "L" frame. I see the holes that you are talking about...
          I did NOT go in September. I refuse to ride it in the rain. And it WAS raining here, lol.

The rims are steel. the spokes are polished stainless. When i had the rims hoops powdercoated, the powder was thicker than anticipated. i had to drill the holes slightly for the nipples to fit. after i opened them up, i prepped and painted the inside (raw steel after) with some rustoleum paint. it did NOT work. now when they get wet, they rust and it takes me a while to clean the rust off. i will prolly be repowdering them this winter, or getting aluminum hoops.

Hopefully i will see you there in october. i am going down to Florence to ride my dirt bikes in the dunes from the 14th to the 18th. i think it will be right after i get back. even if the weather sucks, i may ride my ZX-10R out........

Comment

That was my first time riding in the rain. Wish I got some pictures. A blue bike riding away in the rainy night makes an awesome pic.

I swear I saw you on pnwriders.com. I'm going to Backfire moto again. Hope to see you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
              That was my first time riding in the rain. Wish I got some pictures. A blue bike riding away in the rainy night makes an awesome pic.

I swear I saw you on pnwriders.com. I'm going to Backfire moto again. Hope to see you.
              Oh yeah, you did. I'm all over that forum, lol.

Sounds good, i want to go. Never been, but heard it's cool.

Comment

Pete,
                Here's a bump. Love the build! Where did you get your gauges?

Comment

Great build coastiepete! If you are still watching for hits, I'd like to know where you got the fork gaiters? All I have found so far are for Honda CB's and the ID for the lowers seems small at 1 3/4".

Comment

omg omg omg guzzi?

Comment

Cool Bike! I just acquired a gs450 from Scottychop in Seattle and was looking into running a rear gs750 wheel with disc brake. I was curious about the sprocket you used. The sprocket carriers don't mesh up with the 450 so I was wondering where you purchased it? Also, looking into doing new rear sets and I like the look of the ones you used. did all the brake lines match up with your rear wheel caliper? I am planning on attending some of the backfire events soon and would love to see your bike out there.

Comment

Originally posted by wildbill43 View Post
                        Cool Bike! I just acquired a gs450 from Scottychop in Seattle and was looking into running a rear gs750 wheel with disc brake. I was curious about the sprocket you used. The sprocket carriers don't mesh up with the 450 so I was wondering where you purchased it? Also, looking into doing new rear sets and I like the look of the ones you used. did all the brake lines match up with your rear wheel caliper? I am planning on attending some of the backfire events soon and would love to see your bike out there.
                        Hey wild man, sorry for the delay, my interests wander from bike to bike monthly, and this one has taken a back seat during the wet weather.

I converted my drive to a 530, and got all my parts from Z1 enterprises. those guys have good info on there.

The brake lines DID match up pretty well. I used the rearsets off a 2005 Gixxer 1000. they ALMOST matched up to my frame, needed a couple modifications. The brake lines are the black chrome ones from russell performance. the lines are universal, just order the right lengths. and then the fittings are specific to your needs. good quality with them so far. i do need to order a longer one for the rear though, it's kinda tight right now, and i can't get it into the rear brake hose retaining clamp thingy.

I will be at backfire more thins year. right now the engine is apart for a base gasket changeout. and i found some bad scoring in cyl #4 due to a bad oil ring wearing the crap out of it. so now i'm debating whether to repair, or install the 816cc big bore kit sitting in my garage see ya out there!

Comment

Super sexy bike.

Where did you mount the tail-light and license plate? On the left side, perhaps?

Comment

That is incredible! Mine is not going to look anywhere near that clean... and I'm ok with that. But damn wish I had the extra funds to step it up to something like that!

Comment

What wheels are those? That you were able to convert to dual disk!
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

What triple tree and axle did you use

The next round of powder took care of the sidestand,headlight bucket, chain guard, and the fork legs. i wanted straight leg forks vice the leading axle ones from the L. I picked up a set of straights from an 82 gs750E. I also picked up a cool set of universal guages that had the correct ratio for the tach and speedo.

And here is the first signs of what it will look like:

Comment

Working...
                                X