No announcement yet.

gs 1000 e restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good so far... I have replaced all the Phillips head screws to allens as well.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Chandler..I got all the ingredients for your recipe..I plan on starting the tear down next week..If everything goes to plan, i am hoping to have everything stripped and repainted and then reassembled.. May have to wait for the body work and tank to get back from paint though..Gonna try to have it all done by time that happens though. So hows your project coming along?
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

hello chuck you should be happy with results i know mine turned out well and 1980 GS your bike is beautiful .
        well i have finished the front wheel today here is a pic of it before i started on it some of the pics are crummy because of the sun.

this is after i painted it took quite a while to tape off the wheel

here it is a few hours later after buffing polishing installing slotted rotors and mounting new AVON tire will put up some pics of it when i mount it tommorrow after work

Comment

Nice work, that bike is going to be super sweet.
          Watching with interest.

Comment

here are a few more pics of the front wheel mounted . now she is a roller and i can move it around . i still have the brakes and wiring left to do also i am going to paint the fuel tank last ,

i really like how the slotted rotors look

still have a lot to do but it is coming together now . wish i didnt have the computer crash because i lost all the pics of engine work and chassis work but have lots of pics now next thing to tackle is the brakes i am putting on stainless brake lines . i found a link on here to an ebay store sells the complete brake kit for 78 bucks with the banjo bolts included

Comment

I am following the3 process al;so..and usingb you engine refurbish recipes as well . It will be my 6th " restore " per say. I think maybe about a month including the time for painting. Today was day one strip down..long ways to go.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

that is great i have used the VHT before it hols up really well i just saw your post bike is going to be very nice . this is my first GS i have done i have been working on it since last fall but now i am getting close cant wait . i hope my process works well for you i had very good results with it

Comment

im use the VHT gloss black EPOXY..much harder of a paint when cured..very chip resitsant.

Comment

Beautiful work . but before you go to doing any test rides , you might want to check the front tire for a direction arrow , I do believe the front tire is mounted backwards .

And hopefully I am wrong

Rat

Comment

thanks for the heads up on the front tire . the front tire is a universal front or rear you fit it one direction for the rear and the opposite direction for the front i found it rather strange myself i wonder if it would make any difference if i switched it around ??????????? has anyone else encountered this with the front avon ???

Comment

The arrows pertain to whether you use this tire on the front or the back.
                        See the words above the arrow,front fitment or rear fitment.

1978 GS1000C
                        1979 GS1000E
                        1980 GS1000E
                        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by chandler View Post
                          thanks for the heads up on the front tire . the front tire is a universal front or rear you fit it one direction for the rear and the opposite direction for the front i found it rather strange myself i wonder if it would make any difference if i switched it around ??????????? has anyone else encountered this with the front avon ???
                          OK , first off let me just say , I may be wrong . It looks to me ( I am no expert ) ,like it is backwards . And if I think I understand your question .

Running a directional tire ( with arrows ) backwards would probably handle OK on dry pavement , but will not be able to channel water away in the wet .
                          meaning it will hydroplane which is something we never ever want to do .

Rat

Comment

i know what you mean for sure i just dont know why it says on the side of the tire to mount it with the tread going bacwards for front use i was reluctant mounting it that way but that is what the arrow said for front use ..

Comment

howd you get your aluminum that clean? I sprayed rust remover on my metal and it got on my aluminum now looks horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Defore View Post
                                howd you get your aluminum that clean? I sprayed rust remover on my metal and it got on my aluminum now looks horrible.
                                i used 1500 grit wet sanding 1000 grit on bad surfaces then used a buffer with buffing compounds a lot of work but it looks new when done . not a buffer for a car a buffing wheel for a grinder or a drill. SEARS sells them in the tool dept

Comment

Working...
                                X