No announcement yet.

gs 1000 e restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Steve thanks for the heads up on the tank i will make sure i will seal it before i prime and paint it i found a place where i can get a quart of black pearl wich i think is very similar to the factory black that came on the bike because the tail section is still the origional when you look at it in the sun you can see the pearl ??? correct me if i am wrong because i am not sure what the factory color was called

Comment

well i actually got the engine fired tonight used a portable tank hanging from above engine fired right up and sounded great but i had some problems pop up wich i was expecting the carbs are dripping from the fitting where the fuel line hooks up and goes into the carbs and the valve cover is leaking oil in a couple places . some minor glitches but engine sounded very healthy.

think it may have been running lean because it heated up really fast i have my dynajet kit so when i pull the carbs to fix leak i will install the stage 3 kit wich should fix the lean condition.

I will get a video of it running soon had to much going on tonight to get one.

checked votage at battery at 3 grand 13.7 volts but at idle it was jumping all over the place also the stator wires were getting VERY warm at connections ????? my honda shadow does the same thing dont know if this is normal or not .

hey Steve if all goes well i hope to have bike done in about 3 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by chandler View Post
        Hey Steve thanks for the heads up on the tank i will make sure i will seal it before i prime and paint it i found a place where i can get a quart of black pearl wich i think is very similar to the factory black that came on the bike because the tail section is still the origional when you look at it in the sun you can see the pearl ??? correct me if i am wrong because i am not sure what the factory color was called
        You might be right about that pearl. All I did was take the parts to the painter and told him to match them up. I think I was able to see some metallic in the frame covers but the tail piece and tank were gloss black,
        so I have gloss black. I mentioned my tank has been redone, but the guy said he was going to use some Por-15 around the filler neck, I believe it's going on top of the paint around the filler neck to keep the fuel from getting in under it. I'll find out more after he does it.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

hey Steve if all goes well i hope to have bike done in about 3 weeks
          You still have alot of work ahead of you, plus you might have a few little set backs and some tweaking and peaking. 3 weeks, that will go by so fast, don't rush it.
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            You still have alot of work ahead of you, plus you might have a few little set backs and some tweaking and peaking. 3 weeks, that will go by so fast, don't rush it.
            you are so right it was nice to hear it run though sounded very healthy makes me want to ride it LOL but not ready for that like you said still lots to do like i know i have to pull the carbs for one and there were a few other issues that popped up in it for the long haul this has been a great winter project and still going

Comment

Hi thanks for your comments your bike looks great, I will try and follow your lead on frame and engine.

Comment

What paint did you use for the wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by HaggisHombre View Post
                  What paint did you use for the wheels?
                  i used satin wheel paint by eastwood it is very high solids and covers really nice and just the right finish not to glossy and far from flat

your project is going to be nice once you get rolling i have enjoyed doing mine nothing like bringing back to life a bike that was left for dead espeically a classic GS. need any info let me know
                  steve

Comment

hello to all have been really busy for the last couple weeks but i am now back working on the bike i have since last post ran into a few setbacks one of wich the front brakes i got a set of calipers from a 1981 1000G to work with the new slotted rotors i have on now but they wouldnt fit after some reading on here i quickly found out the calipers were from a GS1000L so i needed to get the caliper hangers for a 1000G luckily found another set that were correct and got them here they are before rebuilding

i have rebuilt them and here are some pics of them mounted on the bike now i can order my brakelines [stainless] excuse some of the blurring my camera is on the fritz

Comment

Problems problems problems

LOL it will be a while before i put one on the bike didnt have one i am going to try to get one on ebay but for now i am going to run pods because i do have a kerker header
                      Hope you have plenty of time and knowledge to set up the carbs....

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                        Hope you have plenty of time and knowledge to set up the carbs....

good luck.

Thanks luckily i have raced dirtbikes when i was younger and have dragraced motorcycles for the past 20 yrs i should be able to get the carbs dialed in with the selection of jets i have i also have a dyna stage 3 jet kit wich will give me a good starting point

Comment

Hi I was just curious how much paint per frame and engine it takes? I am ordering mine tonight.

What clear did you use for the frame.

Also I am just going to rub the frame down not strip it all the way and was planning on using VHT epoxy gloss black SR652 do you know if there will be conflicts with the Suzuki paint?

Your forks and brake caliper look incredible what paint on the calipers?

Comment

Originally posted by HaggisHombre View Post
                            Hi I was just curious how much paint per frame and engine it takes? I am ordering mine tonight.

What clear did you use for the frame.

Also I am just going to rub the frame down not strip it all the way and was planning on using VHT epoxy gloss black SR652 do you know if there will be conflicts with the Suzuki paint?

Your forks and brake caliper look incredible what paint on the calipers?
                            hello if you are using spray cans 1-2 cans for the frame and i sparyed my whole engine with one can of VHT cast coat aluminum looks great.
                            i am not sure about conflicts with the stock paint to be safe i would prime it before i paint it that is what i did and i had no problems .
                            the clear coat i used duplicolor clearcoat http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...i_sku=99984738

if i am doing the tank or the body work i then use good automotive paint i use a good Urethane and spray gun

the front calipers i used VHT caliper paint http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHW-BCP102/?rtype=10

then cleared it with VHT engine clear coathttp://www.summitracing.com/parts/VHT-SP145/

Steve

Comment

Just got my tank back the other day, took a whole month to repair the paint bubble that developed around the filler cap neck. I now have a "new" seal for my gas cap, and while it was down for the tank, I put a set of black recessed levers on it (only thing that departs from stock) recovered the seat (ran out of excuses for not doing it), recharged the battery, put in a "new to me" turn signal control unit (turned out to be another "dud"), and did a little "tweeking" on the tail piece and newly painted seat underpan to get those to mate up correctly. And now she's ready to ride again!

sigpic
                              Steve

Comment

Your bike looks incredible!!!! I dont think I have the pataince to do that kind of work. However you provide inspiration and information which is a great help as I am now doing a 79/750E and 78/1000 at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X