No announcement yet.

gs 1000 e restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chandler..I am a bit skeptical as to the originality of the headlight brackets on my bike.. Its the E model and the bike has chromed brackets..whats the ones yours has look like? Can you pm me or post pics of each side??
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Chandler..I am a bit skeptical as to the originality of the headlight brackets on my bike.. Its the E model and the bike has chromed brackets..whats the ones yours has look like? Can you pm me or post pics of each side??
      hey Chuck if you go to the very first post on this thread ther is a pic of them on there you can see both if you need more pics let me know . the ones on my bike were painted a satin black and were the origional ones on ther for sure

Comment

I was just checing them over actually ( mine ) and wouldnt you know it!! I found on the backs that there is black paint down in the seams..Think the a PO way back when stripped them and poilshed the base metals.. I also googled some sales brochures and they all seem to show black ears. So black they will be again
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chandler View Post
          i know what you mean for sure i just dont know why it says on the side of the tire to mount it with the tread going bacwards for front use i was reluctant mounting it that way but that is what the arrow said for front use ..
          Well I stand corrected , and that's a good thing . I would guess that the Avon engineers know more than me . Sorry to raise a flag over nothing .

Rock on , I like the project , looks good.

Rat

Comment

keeping it activated....

Comment

keeping it activated....
              thanks Chuck i will have some pics to put up this weekend tackleing the wireing tommorrow if i get everything wired up i may try to test fire it

Comment

Chandler..on the clutch cover, the stator and points covers..will the aluminator etch them and make texture> Did you remove them first or what??

Comment

Chandler..on the clutch cover, the stator and points covers..will the aluminator etch them and make texture> Did you remove them first or what??
                  i actually left them on because i had planned on wetsanding them with 1000grit and buffing them i didnt really see any texture on them when done though. but it did one hell of a job on my carbs made them look brand new sprayed the carbs and let it sit about 10 min and hosed them off did this 3 times after the 3rd time carbs looked awesome the engine i let it sit about half hour every 10 min or so i would spray some more on so it wouldnt dry on .

Comment

I got some old covers in a box..some experimenting is in order i think before slopping it on everything... thanks for the advice..

Comment

well spent last night redoing my wireing harness cleaned all connections installed coils all new tape on it from top to bottom have almost everything hooked up just sorting out connections right now then wireing will be wrapped and covered to conceal it . i will be putting a battery in it tommorrow and if all is right with wireing i am going to try to get it started after i put on the new spark plug boots i have . once i have that all sorted i am starting on the fuel tank wich is in really good shape has some surface rust but no dents or rust inside and holds fuel didnt see any leaks

Comment

That is really looking good, I am enjoying this build, keep the pics coming, that is going to be a show stopper.

Comment

Thanks flyboy well i finished the wireing tonight at first i couldnt get anything to work checked every circut and i traced a problem to the fuse box fixed that then had a few problems with the blinkers now fixed .... Everything is working now all controlls blinkers horns brakelights has hot spark all cylinders it has the DYNA pickups to replace the points . i was very anxious to start it because i want to see if it is charging and how it sounds but with no oil not a chance LOL i can wait 1 more day i will pick up some diesel oil tommorrow and will try to post a video of the first fire up

Comment

I'm still waiting for the airbox to go back on!

Comment

When you do that tank, I recommend you use some sealer around the outside base of the filler neck.
                              The tank I had repainted didn't have a sealer and fuel got to the outside base of the filler neck and bubbled all the paint under the gas cap. Was such a beautiful job too, you've seen the pic's. The painter said he didn't normally use a sealer for that type of filler neck, now he gets to fix it for free.
                              The tank has since been redone, except for the sealer around the filler neck.
                              I've always been carefull with how I fill gas, and not to get it too full, but this was a seal problem. Even though my gas cap gasket was in good shape, it was some 32 years old, and very hardened rubber, so hard and non pliable that it allowed some gas to escape in the course of just driving around. To fix that problem I ordered a new gas cap from of all places, Thailand, have yet to get it. Just trying to save you a future heartache.
                              Your bike is looking really good, it'll be nice to see the finished product.
                              When do you expect it to be completed?
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                                I'm still waiting for the airbox to go back on!
                                LOL it will be a while before i put one on the bike didnt have one i am going to try to get one on ebay but for now i am going to run pods because i do have a kerker header

Comment

Working...
                                X