Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What goes around... eh?
    Nice guy indeed!!

I was almost going to sell you the one off of my '78 and have been holding back as the replacement doesn't have the stickers.
    The more that I look at that bike, the more I like it.
    Almost afraid to ride it as it looks too good.

How did the box turn out?

Eric

Comment

Eric, I think you're right, what goes 'round come 'round. I think it's because of the make up of this board; there's an abundance of good people that inhabit this site who look out for each other.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

A lot of people truly want to see these fantastic bikes running.
        And will try to help those who are willing to try.

Others simply buy another brand and stay on this site anyway.
        It is as if they have turned their backs on them and still just want to stick around and change the forum to suite their new bike brand/models.
        Hard to call a Rally a "GS Rally" if only 10-15% of the bikes that show up are GS's.
        Doesn't that just make it "a motorcycle rally" with no other significant importance?
        It's like having a riding game on a GS site with other makes posting tags, who would think of doing that anyway?
        I have other bikes from other brands and would never INSULT the members by taking one to a GS Rally or using one to post tags in the riding game found here. That is simply RUDE.
        OTOH. I could see someone trying to make a GS Rally on their GS and not being able to use it on the rally due to complications, then another back-up bike could slide...

Rant over, for the time being.

Eric
        Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Eric, I'd like to think of a GS rally as more of a past-present-future GS owners rally, with emphasis on the owners portion of the rally. I don't care if you ride a two wheel go-kart as long as you show up for the camaraderie...

By the way, yes I still have that head and you are welcome to it.
          Last edited by rustybronco; 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM. Reason: -u

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            I like to publicly say thank you to fnkvn. He gave this to me when He returned my air filter box today. You don't know how long I been looking for one that's in this condition.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

You are very welcome. That guard belongs on your bike! I might take you up on your swingarm offer. At this rate - we'll have an entire autocad library of GS parts

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              She's definitely put a hit on the pocket book.

In my case the outlay of funds have been spread out over long period of time and that's helped ease the pain a bit. If I had to do something like this today, only one year later than when I started this, I don't think I could even come close to what I have into it now. Prices have gone through the roof lately and are getting harder to find. I bought my fuel tank that needed a bit of work for the princely some of $88 dollars plus shipping. Try finding one for that amount today.

Still all things considered, I'll have less into it than some of the restorations I've seen done right here on this board. For that I'm happy and thankful for things others have given towards Penelope's restoration, both in time looking for things they know I've needed and just plain out and outright gifts. You can't put a price on that and it's one more reason I really enjoy working on Her.

I'll look back one day and smile each time I look at something and think to myself, Chuck, or Ed, or Steve, or Greg, or so and so gave me that...

Thanks for the kudo's
              What I would think it would be interesting would be to figure out just how many parts came from other bikes. I figure I have parts from over 30 different bikes on my 1000 and possibly just a many on my 1100.
              Lets see, just on my 1000, these parts came from other bikes.
              Mufflers, gauges, mirrors, oil filter cover, head light shell (thanks Dale), seat grab rail (thanks Dale), handlebars, headlight on/off switch, tail piece, front and rear foot pegs, turn signal control unit (thank Ed), left handlebar switching unit, petcock, seat underpan, seat, tank, sending unit, air box cover (thanks Dale), turn signals, turn signal lenses, rear turn signal supports, lifting bar, stainless steel tailpiece trim tabs, (thanks Eric), luggage rack, brake caliper bleeder caps, front fork air cover caps, and that's just what I can remember off hand, and all the new pieces, throttle quadrant, oil filter, valve cover gasket, frame cover emblems and grommets, tank emblems, grips, tach cable (thanks Eric), gas cap, clutch safety switch cover, levers,
              lever cover, seat cover, seat grab rail grommets and bolts, end caps, points and condensers, front and rear brake pads, wire harness cover, battery box cushions and bolts, shock acorn nuts, tires, tubes, battery, oil cooler hoses, carb overflow hoses, carb boot O rings, air filter, lower shock bolts, side stand rubber cushion, spark plugs, fuses, and numerous nuts, bolts, and other hardware and new paint.

I guess it just goes with the territory when restoring an old bike. For me, the reward is the roar of the engine with a twist of the throttle! Now, that's therapeutic!
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Just say the word and I'll drop it off...

Having used Autocad 11C7 in the past, I thought that's what your .dwg resembled. I just wished I see the layers a bit better.

Comment

[QUOTE=rustybronco;1637336]Just say the word and I'll drop it off...[QUOTE]

I'll PM you if I get far enough to need to borrow it. Plenty to do in the meantime!

Comment

Indeed, what goes around, comes around, and Dale my friend, you are most deserving of each and every blessing thrown your way, Lord only knows you have helped so many, way above and beyond the call of duty.
                    Penelope is going to be one pretty lady, no doubt about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      Indeed, what goes around, comes around, and Dale my friend, you are most deserving of each and every blessing thrown your way, Lord only knows you have helped so many, way above and beyond the call of duty.
                      Penelope is going to be one pretty lady, no doubt about that.

Ditto that!

Comment

he has had a rough life and to me that bike has a survuvors spirit and is a real fighter. Youre gonna be so proud when everyone comes up and wants to talk about the bike.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

And wait until I show them the picture of how it looked when you found it.

Comment

Parts are getting closer....

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So how many wraps of cardboard do you think are around the crankshaft?

Looks like a bit of over kill!

Comment

About 2 layers all the way around the crank and the cams. I left about 2 inches on each end of the crank and made folded up carbboard cushioning on each end as well. I may even wrap another layer..I was thinking on the premise that its so heavy that ( god forbid ) it should get dropped by the USPS it will have some degree of survivability. I would rather over do it and not have it dropped than the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                                X