T8's 750 Cafe Racer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also reshaped the tail to more closely match my rendering
    Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Welcome to my garage haha. It's a small rental space at the apartment complex but it will do! The school's shop is where all the welding and metal work takes place. Between the two I have most the things I need.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Check with allballs bearing. They have a fork conversion table here to find their tapered roller bearing kit http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconvertion

Comment

I never thought of using tie downs to hold the bike. Dang you guys are so clever!
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Hey thanks Hoosier. I checked will Allballs and they have a couple bearings I THINK will work. The dimensions are the same but the tolerances have to be super close so I hope it all works when I get the parts. Update after the holidays. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

T8er,

Sent you a PM about those parts you were interested in. Let me know what you want to do. Have a happy and safe holidays.

Comment

ALLLLLLright folks! After a looooong and not so prosperous holiday season and start of the new year I finally have an update on the project. I have slowly been collecting needed parts and information and here's what's new. I ordered bearings from AllBalls as suggested and to my surprise the tolerances were just about perfect! So new tapered bearings CHECK. After installation of the new bearing races I threw the new fork on just for a mock-up and it fits great! A bit short but after starting another thread I think I have found a good solution (cap extenders). Also I have purchased an aluminum rear swinger with some odds and ends. Pics to come soon! Nothing crazy just a glimpse of some progress. Also I have decided to do the tail out of fiberglass after all. So as of right now my goals are to figure out a rearset situation, get some clip-ons, start and finish body shaping, and hopefully figure out a wheel situation.

Comment

Watching your build. Looks like you got some nice ideas going on. I really like those forks and if I were to do my front end I would go that route. Alot beefier but keep the older look. Watching for more progress.
                  1978 GS550 E
                  673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                  New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                  for playing in the dirt

Comment

Alright here are some quick pics I took today of the new fork installed as well as the new swinger. It was a bit dirty when I got it but after a good cleaning she is ready for paint prep. I'm thinking I'll paint the rear swinger black and then the fork ends dark charcoal or black as well.

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Things got put on hold after school got out due to work. Had to make some dough for the project. Now that the money is rolling in again and things are full swing I have started buying up parts to complete the dream! Just acquired a nice set of spokes from a fellow GSer and a set of PSR clip-ons. Both things are on their way. I'll be putting the bike together as soon as I'm back in Utah and should have it done by the end of September so be ready for a bunch of updates!

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

This is a cool project.....subscribed..

And an fyi, the only gsxr in '01 to have rsu forks was the 600. ALL other gsxr's had USD from 91 on....The '91,'92, and possibly the '93 600 actually had USD forks too. Then they switched it back to RSU until '03 when they went back to USD again. The '01 1K actually had gold USD's ....
                        NOT trying to be a prick, just droppin some knowledge on ya .....

Comment

Can't wait to see those spokers on the bike.

Comment

AWESOME.
                            looking forward to this build a lot.

Comment

Great build so far! Excited to see it out on the road here in UT when it's finished, subscribed!

Comment

Acquired another new part today from another fellow GSer. Kerker 4-1 exhaust. Anyone know what to do to a chrome pipe to prep it well for paint?? I'm thinking wrap on the headers then black for the pipe. Can I just grind the chrome off? Probably stupid questions but I figure you guys will be nice enough to help me out ha. Thanks
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X