No announcement yet.

T8's 750 Cafe Racer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet! What is the offset for the bolt holes on the rearset brackets?

Comment

rearset brackets are weld or bolt on?

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        Sweet! What is the offset for the bolt holes on the rearset brackets?
        Not quite sure what you're meaning but I'll take a stab at answering your question. Are you meaning the distance between the two? It's something like 72mm. As far as the holes go they are both on the same plane so there is no offset
        Originally posted by Hone101 View Post
        rearset brackets are weld or bolt on?
        They are weld on. No need for so many bolts. . More weight and more flex

Comment

Curse you and your engineering abilities! I think you may have solved my rearset mounting issue...

Comment

Picked up the front wheel today from the owner of the wheel companies house! Really really cool dude. They did not get my new front rotor in but will ship it to me on Monday. No worries though because there is plenty to do. I bought fiberglass sheets, resin, hardener, and a few little things here and there that will help me finish this baby up. Mocked up the front wheel and took some measurements. The good news is my monoblock calipers are going to clear with no problem! I just have to make a spacer for the rotor when it comes in. I think I'll probably end up anodizing the part black so it's not noticeable when it's all done. Anyways here are some pics

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

That looks siiiiick!
              1983 GS650G
              Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

looking good. good job on the welding. I'm starting classes at the local vo tech here in a month. Have a MIG but I can only lay the most basic bead down.
                1978 GS550 E
                673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                for playing in the dirt

Comment

Looks good, but a question, can't tell from the pics, will the kickstarter work with the rearsets in place?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Looks good, but a question, can't tell from the pics, will the kickstarter work with the rearsets in place?
                    Sure does Thanks for the kind words fellas

Comment

Originally posted by T8erbug View Post
                      I actually have the same swinger on my bike and have had the joys of doing almost the same things to my bike as well (grinding the brackets off gs1100 swingarm etc). I also am purchasing YSS shocks and am having mine built a little longer than yours (380mm). My biggest concern is that my chain will rub my shock with a centered clevis mount like yours. How is your clearance? Are you running a stock chain? I'm running a 520 non o-ring chain so it's quite narrow but it is offest 1/4" so that takes up most of the difference and puts it once again closer to where the shock will mount.. I should be good but you know what they say, measure twice and cut once.
                      Build looks great! Here is the information you requested. 116 link rx-ring 530 chain. I have 1/2" of clearance.

After seeing how mine sits with the ~350mm shocks you will be on the upper limit with your 380's. I think 365mm would be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by wegs426 View Post
                        After seeing how mine sits with the ~350mm shocks you will be on the upper limit with your 380's. I think 365mm would be ideal.
                        I built my own upper shock mounts so the locations won't be stock. However, the rear of mine will still prob sit a bit higher than yours. The most important thing is that I gain as much rear swingarm angle back as I can without taking away too much rake. The YSS shocks I'm having built have adjustable everything including ride height so I should be golden. Thank you so much for the pics!! I really appreciate it and it takes tons of worry away.

Comment

Here's the picture that Klaus over at YSS sent me of my shock. It looks like with my setup I'll also have more room between the bottom mount and the lower spring retainer. I'll take all the space I can get!

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I was gone all week to Minnesota for work but when I got home there was a surprise for me. My shocks came!! So not a lot has happened to the bike but I'll bring you up to speed for the most part. These pics aren't current to the day but you'll get the idea. I had to make a front brake spacer for the rotor to reach my caliper so I could leave it's mounting locations alone. I drew the part pretty quickly and we were able to make it relatively quick as well. The dimensions were just about spot on (I won't even bore you with the details of getting the dimensions). So the front brake is all set up and bled and will keep it that way until my steel braided lines come. The rear wheel is still not spaced but not for long. I'm picking up the welder tonight and will be building the upper shock mounts here pretty soon. I'm making a HUGE push to have it rolling by the weekend but you all know how real life is and . . well there's the possibility that might not happen but for now it will haha. Here are some pics of the machining and the body shaping to get the plug closer to how I want it.

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM. Reason: photobucket broken links to imgur links

Comment

Lookin good man, somewhat jealous of those shocks. I was hoping you would not put any gussets in between the bottom of the seat and the bottom portion of the hoop but still looks slick either way.

Comment

Grips, chain, hand controls, and more work on the seat

Things are looking up. I ordered 120 links of chain thinking I'd buy more than I needed and just take a few links out as needed. Turns out 120 was just what I needed! Lucked out there. The seat is getting closer to being done but I don't want to go any farther than where I'm at now until I get the rear tank bracket fabbed up. Nothin worse than a crooked tank and tail and it happens all the time. I've seen quite a few high quality builds by people like Classified Moto and Lossa Engineering that just are never quite right because either the tank isn't straight, the tail isn't straight, or a mixture of both.. I don't know.. I figured I put this much time into the bike I might as well not take any short cuts.

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X