My new project thread: 78' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new project thread: 78' GS750

Hi there, It seems my old introduction and project thread has gone missing, I have no clue what has happened to it so l thought I'd just make a new one since things have started to come along now.
    Here's the bike:

A 1978 GS750(E I believe), the cylinder block and top end has been swapped out for a 850 unit along with the carbs at some point.

Now I have started to dismantle various parts so I can clean up the bike after it has been standing for the last 10 years or so...
    It's also getting a respray in a nice metallic black along with new decals of the original pinstriping.
    I have ordered new "suzuki" and "gs750" emblems and I will also try to get a hold of new decals for the engine side covers.
    Here it is today:

I've also ordered new fork seals and springs
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2012, 04:34 PM.

Not sure if there is a solution to this but, I would recommend coating the side cover emblems with some kind of coating as the paint rubs off of them if you ride your bike.
    My NOS ones didn't last 100 miles before the gold was missing on the "GS" letters.

Eric

Comment

hmmm... thanks for the heads up! I'll keep it in my head

Comment

Find whoever made that seat and beat their brains out with it!!!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I was just going to say I love the seat... Except for the color.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Normally I would dislike that seat, but with the color of the bike I kind of dig it. Its kind of a nice look.

Comment

If you ever what to sell that seat, let me know. I'd even toss a stocker into the deal maybe...

Comment

Welcome back Spiff! I'm glad to see your still working on the bike. Do I remember right, that the bike was you Mom's? It's been awhile....

Charlie G
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Dont hit your mom with the seat if she did it..but that color is just too much for the eyes to endure.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    Welcome back Spiff! I'm glad to see your still working on the bike. Do I remember right, that the bike was you Mom's? It's been awhile....

Charlie G
                    Thanks, that is correct

I'll throw in one more pic of the seat just for fun

Witch is awesome btw... but agreed; maybe not the colour It's getting reupholstered. I'm thinking brown leather, to go along with the brown pinstriping on the tank.

And for something else, NOS!!!!

And front brake master cylinder:

Did some polishing today on the side cover, it came out pretty good even though the pics doesn't quite show it.
                    A couple of more treatments and I reckon it'll be perfect.

compared to the other side:

I'm also gonna remove carbs and valve cover to better clean them, they're really dirty:

Comment

Some other problem areas:
                      chrome on the gas cap cover is a little worse for wear....

I'm thinking about getting it rechromed since I can't find another one in good shape anywhere it seems...

the starter cover and clutch adjustment cover show similar signs of wear but those are more hidden so I think I can live with that but the gas cap cover really bugs me...

This one is pretty self explanatory I think

I'm gonna replace the headlight, trim and bucket. But it looks like I need to replace the brackets too, if I can't bend them in to shape. Can't drive around with the indicators like that

Here's the damaged headlight trim rings and there is also cracks in the headlight bucket.

And lastly, I'm missing the knob for the light switch!

Annoying as without it it's possible to push the lever a little further than it should and then the rear light and instrument lights doesn't work.
                      So if anyone has a knob that will fit and can spare it I would greatly appreciate it if you could make the effort and send it to me
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2012, 02:17 AM.

Comment

You can still get them OEM and pretty cheap too. I just picked up mine from my local shop (last time I order from them though - their attitude is making me go to Boulevard more and more) and some new screws from Ace
                        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 03-15-2012, 09:16 AM. Reason: grammar
                        sigpic
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Today I got my new progressive springs and fork seals.
                          So I have started to change them, but I forgot to buy oil for the forks so I can't assemble them yet :P
                          Anyway, notice how much the old springs have sat themself compared to the new ones.

New fork seal:

Does anyone have a trick on how to remove these? Man I struggled with getting it out, would appreciate if someone knows of an easy way for when I do the other side.

Also, there wasn't any stopper ring for the oil seal. I'm guessing I should get a new installed before I assemble the fork again?
                          And do people here use fork oil or the 50/50 mix of atf and motor oil?

Comment

If the metal clip is already out, just take a pick (all I used) and start prying it up. You'll want to replace them anyway.
                            sigpic
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I did the other yesterday, it had the clip ring in it. So I'm gonna order up a new one before I assemble the front end again.

Also, I came across some old photos of the bike way back in 97 I think. So I scanned them, since I knew you guys would probably like to see

Comment

Working...
                              X