No announcement yet.

My new project thread: 78' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am certain that it looks fantastic in Daylight.

Chuck, what is wrong with those side cover badges on the pic's that you posted.
    Where did someone find those? What is with the white background?

Eric

Comment

Those are what were on the bike when I got it and its silver background...the flash from the camera just makes it look white. The parts fiche does actually show this style so I only went with the "E" one being OK for the E models...

Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Picture as promised

I'm aiming for next weekend to have it done.
        I also found a white marker for writing on tires, so I'll be trying that out to, give it a proper old school muscle bike look

Comment

Cant wait to see the tank on her. Shes looking like show-room again!

Comment

Perhaps you can find gold lettering for the tail piece and paint the "GS" on the side covers gold also.
            Red with gold is going to look beautiful!
            I still need to find a red with gold stripes tank and front fender for an '80-'81 850/1000G and I will have a red/gold bike also.

Eric

Comment

I bought stripes from reproductiondecals.com

Of course my 300ZX is acting up now so need to troubleshoot that along with hundreds of other things I need to get finished. I feel like a walking example of murphy's law...

Comment

Primer:

base coat:

I'm gonna wetsand it before I apply a second layer of basecoat. Then wetsand again before applying stickers and clear coat. Then maybe wet sand again before polish... This needs to be perfect!

This is gonna look so badass!

Comment

base coat sanded. Amazing how much the clear coat layer does for the finish when you compare the tank and the side covers

I have applied the second layer of base coat and will leave it overnight for it to cure then another round of 1200 wet sand before applying vinyl stickers. Then it's another two days to make sure the vinyl is absolutely dry before I apply the clearcoat. So it won't be finished this weekend but my seat isn't finished untill next week either so can't ride it anyway....

Comment

You are doing it right. Slow and steady. WTG!
                    Did you use a tire crayon or paint stick for the tire lettering?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      You are doing it right. Slow and steady. WTG!
                      Did you use a tire crayon or paint stick for the tire lettering?

Eric
                      It's a pen, looks like a white permanent marker but for tires

Comment

She's looking great Spiff.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Just because I don't feel like searching through pages for a breakdown, did you have to re-jet for your pod filters? The bike is looking great by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricosmodernlife View Post
                            Just because I don't feel like searching through pages for a breakdown, did you have to re-jet for your pod filters? The bike is looking great by the way!
                            Thanks
                            I don't know to be honest. The 850 swap, pods and 4-1 exhaust was done many years ago sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. But I suppose it's been rejetted.

Comment

tankvinyl applied, two days and I'll get the clear coat on and the bike can pretty much be called done

Comment

And it's done.

Just waiting for a starter relay and the petcock.
                                The guy who put in the pipe on the petcock put it in the wrong hole so now I have to ride on "res" then put it in the "on" position when i'm short on gas :P

After installing the start relay, giving it a squirt of starter gas I could drive out of the clubhouse, two others came in just as I was going out:

And here is another one as I went on a short ride up the mountainside

Comment

Working...
                                X