No announcement yet.

My new project thread: 78' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see, I've read the service manual wrong then! Another gasket to order then, thanks for the heads up

Comment

Oh what have you done!

So what started out as a carb overhaul ended up as a tear down
      Forks and swingarm will be next to be disassembled and then sandblasting and powdercoating

Full of surprises; left side engine mount is broken, cracked right off...

Will try to get it welded but I'm guessing this is somekind of a AlMn og AlSi alloy and therefore will be a pita to get sorted....
      Electrical is also fun! What happened to the stock connector? And why do I have seven leads coming out of the gearbox when there should only be six??

Comment

OH, that's not good!

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Got my valve shim tool this weekend, so today I have checked clearances and figured out what shims I have...

Swapped two shims on the exhaust side but I'm in need of three shims on the intake side to bring them in to spec. So all in all four valves where too tight, and one was too loose.

I've also been in touch with a small company that does sandblasting and paint. I removed the rear wheel and swingarm today, only front forks, seat and rear fairing plus electrical to go now.
          This engine is dirty and ugly!

Comment

Went to a motorcycle show this weekend and found this mint GS750 on the Classic Suzuki Club of Norway's display, hopefully my engine can look as good as this when I'm done!

I also spent some time looking at the luggage rack and snapped a close up of it and I will try to copy this with round bar steel.

Comment

So here's a rundown of what has happened since the last post:
              When it comes to the GS, NOTHING!
              December 2012 I bought a 2012 650 V-strom, so the GS wasn't exactly prioritised, I also have an old Datsun 280Z which needed alot of attention. And then there's my 2 year old boy, who also wants some attention and me and my girl are working completely different shifts so spare time is scarce...
              Realising I don't have time for all of this I sold the V-strom, spent the money on a turboengine swap in the Datsun amongst other things and now I need to get the GS back on the road.
              I can't bear the thought of facing next years spring/summer without a motorcycle....

So Recently I came across a Honda CB1100R fairing from a motorcycle wrecker, bought it. Along with clip-on bars, a gsx plastic front fender(because chrome and a painted fairing ain't gonna look so cool..) and more importantly; an engine gasket kit,a new clutch cable and some other necessities.
              If anyone wonders, here is the fairing:

mounted on a gs it'll look something like this:

Other plans are rearsets and modifying the rear fairing so that I can move the rear light back and into the fairing itself. Frenching I believe is the term. Low profile indicators to clean it up and some new gauges that WORKS!

Comment

Went shopping this weekend :

From this

Bought here :

Bikes and parts EVERYWHERE! Including the basement, an outhouse and a garage! Only narrow pathways to get from one end to the other :-P
                If only my fairing and other parts would come now so I can get started!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                  So here's a rundown of what has happened since the last post:
                  When it comes to the GS, NOTHING!
                  December 2012 I bought a 2012 650 V-strom, so the GS wasn't exactly prioritised, I also have an old Datsun 280Z which needed alot of attention. And then there's my 2 year old boy, who also wants some attention and me and my girl are working completely different shifts so spare time is scarce...
                  Realising I don't have time for all of this I sold the V-strom, spent the money on a turboengine swap in the Datsun amongst other things and now I need to get the GS back on the road.
                  I can't bear the thought of facing next years spring/summer without a motorcycle....

So Recently I came across a Honda CB1100R fairing from a motorcycle wrecker, bought it. Along with clip-on bars, a gsx plastic front fender(because chrome and a painted fairing ain't gonna look so cool..) and more importantly; an engine gasket kit,a new clutch cable and some other necessities.
                  If anyone wonders, here is the fairing:

mounted on a gs it'll look something like this:

Other plans are rearsets and modifying the rear fairing so that I can move the rear light back and into the fairing itself. Frenching I believe is the term. Low profile indicators to clean it up and some new gauges that WORKS!
                  Excited to see your build get going. Post some pics of your Z!

Comment

Getting pretty excited myself to be honest! Got a mail from the motorcycle breaker that the fairing and parts are on the way so should be able to get going on the build this weekend or next week hopefully

I haven't got a project thread on the datsun anywhere but I have some vidoes on youtube:
                    Just a guy, a beard, a shed and some old cars. Small budget, big dreams. Lover of datsun's and turbos, preferably together in sweet harmony! Be sure to check out my Instagram for more on my cars and also check out TheBeardStruggle.com for the best beard care products, use my code "tomsand" at checkout for a 20% discount!

Here it is at my friends house, we where going to a classic car meet

Comment

Mounted clipons today and did som test fitting and mockup of the fairing and rearsets. I think I need to get the engine back in the frame to position everything correctly. Instruments will be removed in favor of 2 smaller 2,5" instruments. We also thought about making a bracket for my mobile/gps where the old handlebar brackets are...

Comment

That is a nice looking fairing Spiff. I'm sure it will look nice when your done. You do fine work. I meant to comment on the Datsun. I always liked the early ones.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks

The only thing I'm wondering is what paint scheme I'm gonna use... I think I need to get it mounted and primed and take some photos so I can photoshop a paint scheme of some sort....
                          But one thing I have thought about is painting the upper fairing and fender in red, and the lower in a grey of some sorts(like the motor) along with gold and orange pinstriping to like set it off.
                          We'll see, I have a friend of mine who is gonna make brackets for the rearset so things are moving along

Comment

Great workshop

Very jealous of your workshop, Spiff. And wood paneled walls, no less!
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              Very jealous of your workshop, Spiff. And wood paneled walls, no less!
                              One of the benefits of being in a motorcycleclub, if not this bike would still be leaning up against a garage wall

Comment

Hey Spiff, great build so far....keep the pictures coming, but can I ask one favor, put a space between multiple pictures, it's easier on the eyes and makes it look like there is a border around each picture and gives them separation...

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X