No announcement yet.

New GS1100 G Restoration Project. Rebuilding my Dad's bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that does look like the business. It's the whole front end including the wheel.

I am watching this one!

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I'd love to know what your eBay search criteria is. Whatever I search for it never brings those forks up in the results.

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Day 232 Wheel and Tyre Strip

Getting a move on now. Got a mentor who decided I have spent enough time on the carbs and that I need to get moving otherwise my project is going to get bogged down.

Wanted to strip wheels and frame today to get them ready for Polishing and Powder Coating

First the wheels.

See My GS1100G Blog - Wheel and Tyre Strip

You should probably have loosed off the hex wheel spindle nut whilst it was still on the bike. I couldn't get the nut undone without some technical advice, a real workshop and a massive vice holding the spindle. The little hold in the other end will allow you to put in a small screwdriver but that doesn't give you enough leverage.

Flatten all the retaining washers holding the disk bolts. Not sure if we can use these again. Someone will tell me.

Don't take your disks off if you are taking the wheels to the shop to remove the tyres. They are used by the removal machine. Take them off after tyre removal.

Then the rear wheel spindle out after loosening the pinch bolt.

And these were my tyres (tyres spelt correctly BTW!)

I shall be upgrading to V rated tyres.

Greetings
        Last edited by londonboards; 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM.
        Richard
        sigpic

Comment

You can reuse those tabs on the disc bolts - yours are in remarkably good nick for a bike that has seen UK roads (as are the bolts).

Plenty of miles left in those tyres...........
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Why did I feel so tyred whilst reading your last post?

I fully understand the bogged down concern.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

charlie - thank you. I have a a fellow enthusiast calling me forward and showing me the ropes. It sure makes a heck of a difference.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

hampshire - that's good to know. I will chuck them in the pot for plating.

The bike wasn't ridden more than a 1,000 miles in the UK and it was only over 2 summers perhaps. Although it has been rotting in the back garden, uncovered (oh the shame!) for the last 10 or 12 years at least. But I have been totally surprised by the condition it's in. Yes there has been lots of aluminium oxidation (wheels and carbs were the worst) it all seems to be coming back to life nicely. I was also relieved to turn the engine over easily (with a wrench) so hopefully it is not too bad inside either.

Greetings
                Last edited by londonboards; 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM.
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

I see you have Metzellers on at the moment, Any Idea which you will go for next?? Mine are also cracked and age unknown, I have Battle Axe's on at the moment...

Comment

Day 232 Frame Preparation

There is always more work to do on the frame before sending it off for powder coating. Lots of rubber bits to get off, strip down, stands and remove bearing shells.

See: My GS1100G Blog - Frame Preparation

First up is to take off all the nuts and bolts that got left behind and bag them up:

Then take off the side and main stands:

Then get all the rubber parts off:

Remove any stickers if you can:

Then with the help of one of these and a Guardian Angel:

Took the races out of the frame and the swing arm.

Greetings
                    Last edited by londonboards; 04-11-2013, 07:52 AM.
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

Paul - I don't have a clue about tyres at the moment. I keep seeing ones on bikes I like. For instance this guy Tom from Canada contacted me through my blog and he has the exact same bike as me (it was a Canadian variant I now think) except for the colour and I am going to find out what tyres he has. This is a great bike, totally original except for handlebar grips. Paint is original too:

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

tyres aren't about which ones look nice.....you need to choose a tyre for your specific needs.
                        do you want long wearing tyres with reasonable grippiness or super sticky tyres that only last for 3 trips round the block?
                        obviously price is a considering factor as well.....
                        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You're right. You read a lot on the freds here about people who don't like the look of the "skinney" tyres that we have to fit to these heavy beast because of the rim and swingarm limitations, especially on the shafties.

My son's 50cc Aprilia has as wide profile tyres as I can get on my 1100.
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Top T Race Removal (with apologies to the engineers out there)

I am really sorry about this. I do repent of my engineering sins. Please forgive me for I know not what I do. The trouble is I did it anyway.

I had to get the top T bearing race off the stem and I had read of this way of doing it somewhere.

My GS1100G Blog - Top T Race Removal

Cut it with a dremel:

Don't go too far:

Then give it a good whack to split it open:

And off she comes:

Not too many problems left behind. Sorry about the small picture of the damage below. Camera went on the Fritz. Damage is very light. Really. Bit of filler and some 400 grit and you'd never notice. Well anyway, who's going to see it?

Look, I am sorry and I am going to give up drills and Dremels for ever. Now that the beast has been totally stripped (well apart from the engine) I shouldn't need any such butchery in the future. I am a reformed character.

Greetings
                            Last edited by londonboards; 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM.
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                              I am really sorry about this. I do repent of my engineering sins. Please forgive me for I know not what I do. The trouble is I did it anyway.

I had to get the top T bearing race off the stem and I had read of this way of doing it somewhere.

My GS1100G Blog - Top T Race Removal

Cut it with a dremel:

Don't go too far:

Then give it a good whack to split it open:

And off she comes:

Not too many problems left behind. Sorry about the small picture of the damage below. Camera went on the Fritz. Damage is very light. Really. Bit of filler and some 400 grit and you'd never notice. Well anyway, who's going to see it?

Look, I am sorry and I am going to give up drills and Dremels for ever. Now that the beast has been totally stripped (well apart from the engine) I shouldn't need any such butchery in the future. I am a reformed character.

Greetings
                              I had to do the same treatment on my GS1000G.

A friend of mine has an engineering business and all the heavy equipment available.

He started out using a blow torch to heat up the bearing. Progressed to a very heavy cold chisel and hammer and eventually cut off as you did with an angle grinder.

He was very careful not to damage the stem.
                              Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                              1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                              1977 GS400
                              1974 Montesa 250
                              1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Did the same to my 78 1000 to get that bearing off.See you are not alone.
                                Edit looking at it again the bearing splitter I bought for the KDX might have worked.
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X